Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Does anyone else get the feeling the HSE are more interested in containing the spread of rumours than a virus (¬_¬)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In a Claire Byrne poll, a panel of over 1,000 adults were asked whether they were “concerned about Covid-19 in Ireland”.

The results showed that most people were:

62% of people said Yes, they were concerned
    30% of people said No they weren’t concerned
    8% said they didn’t know.

The results showed that the group who were most concerned were women (67%) and those aged 55 and over (66%), as well as those aged between 35-44 (63%).

People aged 18-24, and men were the groups who were least worried (57% of each of these groups).

59% of the ABC1 groups were concerned, versus 64% of the C2DEF group.
    Makes some sense alright. Women tend to panic/worry more in general especially when it looks like the poo will hit the propeller. They've historically had more to worry about when society goes any way south and they(and their kids) are more vulnerable overall. Similar goes for the elderly and marginalised groups. Men in their prime tend to worry less and the 18 to 24 demographic, the young tend to be much less risk averse and aware than older people.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Take this with an absolute pinch of salt, I've no proof just word from someone who works there but there seems to be a case in CUH Cork. Again not trying to scaremonger or worry people I'm just posting what I've heard and I've no basis to it other than being told by someone working there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

After 'Rome falls' and the 0.1% are left to try and rebuild a future, the supermarkets will all be looted and burnt out, but all the houses in the land will be stuffed fully of penne pasta, tuna in spring water and chopped tomatoes with herbs. And jacks roll.

It will be like fallout except we trade in pasta instead of bottlecaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-03/05/c_138846529.htm
    The medical staff then conducted gene sequencing on samples of his cerebrospinal fluid and confirmed the presence of the novel coronavirus, diagnosing the COVID-19 patient with encephalitis, an inflammation of the brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1RDxlQpONLMKL

-question on details of West cases yesterday and how many people tested - 70 tested yesterday - still in process of contact tracing

- TG4 - question and answer in Irish. Think it was the answer to the meaning of life but I can’t translate

- ICU beds/units - how many in Ireland - answer 245

- should Big events be going ahead - couldn’t hear (missed some questions)

- George Lee very good question- are they being too vague with information? (Making it hard for media to equally know how to respond) - trying to get balance - kinda wishy washy on that

- anymore new cases? - we wait feedback and usually later in day

- case specific criteria sometimes when determining next action

- won’t Answer question on individual cases

- more people worrying because of vagueness of announcements- trying to find balance between public calm, reassuring public and information . Wider public can help slow this down

- Taking steps daily to deploy resources and staff as needed

- complaints to social media platforms - important to regulate bullsh*t (then keep up excellent seminars like this, people will keep using social media)

- how should companies react to Suspect case? (Stream went off)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Downlinz wrote: »
    It's weird to me that people would ignore that and roll the dice because they don't want to look "silly" for having an extra pack of toilet paper or something but you do you :pac:
    I stocked up last week. I just honestly don’t see any downside to having a cupboard full of long life food I’m going to eat anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

HSE seem a little more panicked today and not as sure of themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

BloodBath wrote: »
    It will be like fallout except we trade in pasta instead of bottlecaps.

People need to be sure it doesnt go pasta its use by date

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Michelinextra.

There's an actual real risk to the supply chain this time since production for certain cleaning and sanitary items have been shut down for weeks in China, then you have the likes of India restricting export of medicine to keep more for their own population. Lower supply and higher demand means empty shelves.

For food, people want to stock up in case they have to self isolate. Nobody wants to worry about things like that if they're feeling unwell and not everybody lives within a delivery range of a Tesco.

It's weird to me that people would ignore that and roll the dice because they don't want to look "silly" for having an extra pack of toilet paper or something but you do you :pac:

Some crack for the Tesco delivery drivers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I keep doing every calculation I can think of and I keep coming back to a CFR of 3.4%.

The only factor I didn't include was undiagnosed cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

harr wrote: »
    HSE seem a little more panicked today and not as sure of themselves

How ? not seen any difference in them.

They're just trying to force home the same information they've been giving since the start

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Ninthlife wrote: »
    People need to be sure it doesnt go pasta its use by date

Terrible pun. I hope the rest of us can rice above it

I think before people start freaking out about their own coughs etc - a big indicator for clinical diagnosis is the trouble breathing and low oxygen (Dysopnea / Hypoxia which is 55% of cases). If you've got the sniffles too, more than likely are not effected (4% runny nose).

This info will be more useful by end of the month but still good to take note of now.

EST7mpGX0AA-iX2?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

There's an actual real risk to the supply chain this time since production for certain cleaning and sanitary items have been shut down for weeks in China, then you have the likes of India restricting export of medicine to keep more for their own population. Lower supply and higher demand means empty shelves.

For food, people want to stock up in case they have to self isolate. Nobody wants to worry about things like that if they're feeling unwell and not everybody lives within a delivery range of a Tesco.

India have apparently started limiting export of antibiotics out of the country. (Heard this from Dr John but link https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/04/india-limits-medicine-exports-coronavirus-paracetamol-antibiotics )

Again, I really don’t think a lot of people realize how this is going to have so many knock on affects to us all. Not end of the world but significant problems will arise where people have not expected it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Pretzill wrote: »
    Does anyone else get the feeling the HSE are more interested in containing the spread of rumours than a virus (¬_¬)

Nicely summarized Pretzill !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I think before people start freaking out about their own coughs etc - a big indicator for clinical diagnosis is the trouble breathing and low oxygen (Dysopnea / Hypoxia which is 55% of cases). If you've got the sniffles too, more than likely are not effected (4% runny nose).

This info will be more useful by end of the month but still good to take note of now.

EST7mpGX0AA-iX2?format=jpg&name=medium

just to be clear, this is in the 15% of patients presenting as serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Why would anyone feel “silly” for having a few spare bags of pasta and tinned tomatoes that they’ll likely work through in due course anyway?
    What a stupid comment.

I’ve not been stocking up but I don’t think people who have are “silly”. We don’t know the reasons behind their decision. The scoffing at those who want to be prepared for the shlt hitting the proverbial is kind of pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Was going to order some stuff from Amazon.

Looking at price comparisons Italy had the lowest prices for the items I want at the moment.

I've always been a bit of gambler.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

So it's three adults and one child then.

And all three adults went into work after coming home from N. Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I keep doing every calculation I can think of and I keep coming back to a CFR of 3.4%.

The only factor I didn't include was undiagnosed cases.

You want to talk with Donald Trump. He has debunked that figure

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/05/donald-trump-hunch-scientists-wrong-coronavirus-12354925/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Central Bank are testing an employee for the virus

Staff given the choice to work from home

What's the source for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Many people are comparing this to a cold or a flu and that it will pass easily in time if you are fit and healthy. It hit me today that it could be something much more serious. Of a deeper infection. Like with hiv, after infection, infected people respond differently. Some people show cold and flu symptoms, some people have stronger symptoms than others. Their bodies are responding to the initial infection.

This coronavirus is not a cold or a flu and the quicker people cop on including whatever is left of our government the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Why would anyone feel “silly” for having a few spare bags of pasta and tinned tomatoes that they’ll likely work through in due course anyway?
    What a stupid comment.

I’ve not been stocking up but I don’t think people who have are “silly”. We don’t know the reasons behind their decision. The scoffing at those who want to be prepared for the shlt hitting the proverbial is kind of pathetic.

It's just their way of justifying their position, head firmly buried up their own... I mean buried in sand or, more understandable perhaps, just not being able to deal with the possibility that things are about to go to all hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

So it's three adults and one child then.

And all three adults went into work after coming home from N. Italy.

Heard it's mum, dad and two kids... heard mum is a nurse and dad a GP but so many different stories going round. Can only imagine what family are going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

owlbethere wrote: »
    Many people are comparing this to a cold or a flu and that it will pass easily in time if you are fit and healthy. It hit me today that it could be something much more serious. Of a deeper infection. Like with hiv, after infection, infected people respond differently. Some people show cold and flu symptoms, some people have stronger symptoms than others. Their bodies are responding to the initial infection.

This coronavirus is not a cold or a flu and the quicker people cop on including whatever is left of our government the better.

That's just scaremongering, all you have to do is look at the amount of people who have recovered from it, which is most.

• Advertisement

Event 201 was a 3.5-hour pandemic tabletop exercise that simulated a series of dramatic, scenario-based facilitated discussions, confronting difficult, true-to-life dilemmas associated with response to a hypothetical, but scientifically plausible, pandemic. 15 global business, government, and public health leaders were players in the simulation exercise that highlighted unresolved real-world policy and economic issues that could be solved with sufficient political will, financial investment, and attention now and in the future.

This was actually done in 2019 covering a 'bat to pig corona virus' infection that started in Brazil.

The results of the exercise showed we did not do well at all ->

http://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/event201/scenario.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement