Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

touts wrote: »
    If it was cattle who were at risk of dying we would get a Wuhan style lockdown.

But it's only old people and sick people so the government don't give a sh1t.

Because cattle and humans are comparable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

dogs have tested positive for Coronavirus in Hong Kong in the last few days. Thats a whole different ball game.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/05/hong-kong-warns-residents-not-to-kiss-pets-after-dog-contracts-coronavirus

Dog, not dogs.
    Did you even read the article?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭1641

Shopping already sorted at least. My loved ones will be mostly getting pasta and loo roll this year.

Mnn - my favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

dogs have tested positive for Coronavirus in Hong Kong in the last few days. Thats a whole different ball game.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/05/hong-kong-warns-residents-not-to-kiss-pets-after-dog-contracts-coronavirus

That's very worrying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Give a ruff estimate
    That would only scratch the surface

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Bob24 wrote: »
    I think the Chinese fairly quickly cancelled all buses, trains and flights out of Wuhan (and other cities in Hubei province) as well as setting up checkpoints on every road leaving the city and turning back anyone driving out.

This is what I would call “lockdown” (ie you genuinely can’t leave the area), but I don’t think we will see it in Italy soon. And actually it might already be too late at this stage.

Yea the first major thing they did was secure the exits to the city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

hmmm wrote: »
    There are over a million cases undiagnosed in Dublin alone. See how easy this is to make facts up, and how useless it is to a discussion?

The poster isn't making it up. You only have to look at Italy. Two weeks ago, they had 20 cases. They're up to 4000. There are alot more people with the virus and not knowing they have it. It's how it's spreading.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Dog, not dogs.
    Did you even read the article?

there are un-diagnosed dogs out there, you can be sure. I bet they haven't been screening dogs in Italy, or China for that matter. It would be interesting to see the results if they did.

Its a bit like when Foot and Mouth hit England, the disease was being spread from field to field by birds, and no one coped on until the disease was rampant.

There are in the region of 500+ more cases, undiagnosed as of yet.

It's like you are a random number generator, yet again, source?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Are you suggesting stopping all flights from around the world

From Italy you idiot. It's where our Infections have mostly come from. There is one exception in Cork Hospital where they can't find the source of the infection.

• Advertisement

Wonder would bus eireann disinfect their buses now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    That would only scratch the surface

Very pawsable

• Registered Users Posts: 23,874 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If you wanted to take the positive slant on Italy at least the deaths are down a bit.

On France since Macron surrendered this week it looks as though they will have to be introducing their own measures in the coming week at some stage.

Germany still has no deaths despite nearly 1,000 confirmed cases which is the most positive news today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

From Italy you idiot. It's where our Infections have mostly come from. There is one exception in Cork Hospital where they can't find the source of the infection.

Its too late. Chances are, the virus has been here for a while now. It probably wouldn't do any good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Even if dogs could become infected, its hardly very relevant, the only people most dogs come into close contact with are their owner/family they live with, they will infect the dog rather than the other way around. Dogs would have very little imapct on the spread of the virus in society

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Some of the food I started stockpiling a few weeks ago is already approaching its due date. Basil Ravioli - seriously, what was I thinking? Having to eat this sounds worse than the virus to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

And when we inevitably have an infection from the UK, will we stop flights from there?
    And the US?
    And France?

tillyfilly wrote: »
    There are about 1000 Italians roaming around Dublin tonight who would have been over to see the game but they might not fly home to be under house arrest and may defect

It's not the fecking cold war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

MadYaker wrote: »
    More bs from yet another uninformed idiot. If you're going to post your own personal ramblings based on nothing you should make it clear that thats what the post is. Some people read sh!te like this and take it seriously.
    Calm down, you'll give yourself a heart attack. The poster made some very good and objective points, if that freaks you out you should not be reading this thread and keep away from the WHO site too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If I don't get this this quick I'm going to go bananas!

8:45 ->

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭1641

wakka12 wrote: »
    Even if dogs could become infected, its hardly very relevant, the only people most dogs come into close contact with are their owner/family they live with, they will infect the dog rather than the other way around. Dogs would have very little imapct on the spread of the virus in society

Their sneeze is worse than their bite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

there are un-diagnosed dogs out there, you can be sure. I bet they haven't been screening dogs in Italy, or China for that matter. It would be interesting to see the results if they did.
    You should be writing movie scripts. "Undiagnosed dogs on a plane"

They tested one dog owned by an infected human and found small traces of the virus. He probably had been doing what dogs do and licking him. There is no evidence that animals are carriers (other than the original bat).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    And when we inevitably have an infection from the UK, will we stop flights from there?
    And the US?
    And France?

Germany would be good. I've a stag there next month that I'd love to get out of.

Its too late. Chances are, the virus has been here for a while now. It probably wouldn't do any good.

Surely bringing in plane loads of people from an infected area isn't good either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

hmmm wrote: »
    Some of the food I started stockpiling a few weeks ago is already approaching its due date. Basil Ravioli - seriously, what was I thinking? Having to eat this sounds worse than the virus to be honest.
    Pasta will last way longer than any due date, so will most things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

There are in the region of 500+ more cases, undiagnosed as of yet.

Why stop there pal. 1000? 5000? 100,000??

If you're going to pull stuff out of your ar5e to try and sound smart just go all out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Its a bit like when Foot and Mouth hit England, the disease was being spread from field to field by birds, and no one coped on until the disease was rampant.

No I can't be sure. I'm not in the business of making unsubstantiated scaremongering remarks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    And the US?
    And France?

We've already exported one case there already from Italy via Dublin airport, then up North....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭facehugger99

tillyfilly wrote: »
    There are about 1000 Italians roaming around Dublin tonight

That's a guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

wakka12 wrote: »
    I dont think Irelands numbers are suspect the infection has not grown the same way in every country, clearly. Obviously many cultural factors will have a big impact on how quickly it spreads, for one thing it being an island I would say will definitely mean a softened impact from the virus compared to continental countries
    How contagious is the Wuhan Coronavirus? (Ro)
    The attack rate or transmissibility (how rapidly the disease spreads) of a virus is indicated by its reproductive number (Ro, pronounced R-nought or r-zero), which represents the average number of people to which a single infected person will transmit the virus.

WHO's estimated (on Jan. 23) Ro to be between 1.4 and 2.5. [13]

Other studies have estimated a Ro between 3.6 and 4.0, and between 2.24 to 3.58. [23].

Preliminary studies had estimated Ro to be between 1.5 and 3.5. [5][6][7]

An outbreak with a reproductive number of below 1 will gradually disappear.

For comparison, the Ro for the common flu is 1.3 and for SARS it was 2.0.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#repro

Nobody seems to know yet what the Ro is. It's probably a little different from region to region for a multitude of reasons.

But lets keep it conservative and say the Ro is 2.
    Then the 19 known cases we have could have easily made another 38 cases while they were none the wiser. So that's 57 cases that we could easily have in the republic. And that assumes that there's no other people that returned from Italy or wherever with the virus. It also assumes that the 38 aren't now in the process of infecting 2 people each. And so on and so on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement