Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

J Mysterio wrote: »

Who wants paper with shīte on it already?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Has anyone thought about the morality of carrying on with the St Patrick’s Festival at this time?

It strikes me as obscene to hold a countrywide party while our friends and neighbours in Italy and elsewhere are mourning hundreds of deaths.

It's obscene now, it's going to be f***ing disgusting by the 17th.

I'm convinced it won't go ahead for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Has anyone thought about the morality of carrying on with the St Patrick’s Festival at this time?

It strikes me as obscene to hold a countrywide party while our friends and neighbours in Italy and elsewhere are mourning hundreds of deaths.

Well said but this country has turned into one Greedy Selfish kip. There will be people sick or dying either here or abroad but as long as Paddy makes a mint, gets locked and gambles it on the GGs in Cheltenham what's the harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

With the Italy shutdown, are the rugby visitors etc allowed to return?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

For sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,874 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We would come across as a bit of a laughing stock at best. At worst we'd look very irresponsible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭1641

owlbethere wrote: »
    A poster last not wrote that there was the battering of dogs in China in quarantine areas? Why would they do that ?

Deep fat frying?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Well said but this country has turned into one Greedy Selfish kip.

I thought we were one European family now. Let's have a party while our neighbors die.

It's ridiculous. If things do get bad here remember who was responsible for not taking action. Hold them accountable

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭lillycakes2

I don't understand why the family with Covid 19 are being treated in the Hospital - shouldn't they be self isolating at home? I feel the same about all other cases, unless there is a need for oxygen ……..they cant keep this up - admitting everyone with the virus into hospital???!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

What happens in a few weeks when every Western government is paralysed with trying to deal with outbreaks in their own countries. Particularly when lawmakers themselves start to get sick.

Hopefully we've put someone in the bunker. If we have a bunker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

It’s immoral and wrong, not only to the international community who are in crisis, but to our own health professionals who are on the front lines bravely dealing with what comes through the door at any given time. CALL IT OFF, or at the very least postpone until summer and show the Irish citizens the same respect you showed the beef farmers&cattle during the foot&mouth crisis.

I don't understand why the family with Covid 19 are being treated in the Hospital - shouldn't they be self isolating at home? I feel the same about all other cases, unless there is a need for oxygen ……..they cant keep this up - admitting everyone with the virus into hospital???!!!!
    At this phase they can afford to do this, and it is safer.

Once we see a wider spread, people with mild symptoms will be told to stay at home and watch Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

I'm not sure if there's a family in Hospital. I thought it was one person in Cork Hospital who was already sick and they can't find the source.

That was the reason 60 staff were stood down and told to isolate. I could have that wrong but that's my understanding of it

Carol25 wrote: »
    It’s immoral and wrong, not only to the international community who are in crisis, but to our own health professionals who are on the front lines bravely dealing with what comes through the door at any given time. CALL IT OFF, or at the very least postpone until summer and show the Irish citizens the same respect you showed the beef farmers&cattle during the foot&mouth crisis.
    OK. And do you also have a plan for what to do with the thousands of tourists who will be flying in here for the weekend, and instead of staying in Dublin and having nothing to do will probably decide to scatter all over Ireland instead?

hmmm wrote: »
    What happens in a few weeks when every Western government is paralysed with trying to deal with outbreaks in their own countries. Particularly when lawmakers themselves start to get sick.

Hopefully we've put someone in the bunker. If we have a bunker.

We are going to weld people in to their apartments like in China.

If we follow such best practice no need for bunkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Ellsbells1 wrote: »
    Is that the only update for Ireland today? It says on the RTÉ website that the one case is all that was confirmed up to lunch time today so does that mean there is other cases today that we haven’t heard about? Or are we hopefully going to manage to stop this thing spreading around Ireland and all the madness going on in the shops will be a waste and the retailers will all be laughing at us.

The news is at 9.40 tonight and the press conferences tend to coincide with the evening news. Maybe they’re waiting for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

MadYaker wrote: »
    A mate of mine is a post doc researcher in NUIG and he says they could do testing (they have the equipment and skills) but there's something to do with regulations preventing them as it's a research lab and not generally used for that sort of thing. They aren't authorised to handle the samples was what he said. I assume the gov could open these type of labs up for testing though?

Did they change the policy in the US where you didn't need FDA approval before carrying out research?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

That's what should have been done.

There is a strong Trade link between Northern Italy and Wuhan, China in the Textile Industry. Largest Chinese population in Europe in that region

Officials should have realised this and closed the area at the same time that the Chinese took action.

It would not stop the Virus but would contain it and give Countries time to prepare

The Italian outbreak was generated by e German patient, this was already covered a few pages ago
    The Chinese community working in the textile industry in Italy is affected by the virus in the same way as the rest of Italy, the outbreak wasn't caused by them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Surprised it hasn't kicked off in Nice and Marseille... think there's a train line running from there to Italian side of the border.

It has ...

I believe Marseille is now at 7+ confirmed cases.

Headline - 3 days ago

https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/sante-sciences/six-nouveaux-cas-de-coronavirus-a-marseille-1583342564

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

It makes sense to learn as much as they can up front and personal. They know what is coming.

Unfortunate Italy is very soon going to be choosing who they try and save and who they let die given the limit on intensive care facilities, trained staff and necessary equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

Awww... you should get some sort of award for that level of virtue signalling

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

When if ever will we get a new government

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭lillycakes2

I think hospitalising them is putting more people at risk to be honest. Most of the Hospitals don't have proper negative pressure isolation rooms...….. they should be sent home...……. I thibk its a disgrace to have other wise healthy people in hospital , putting healthcare workers at risk and risk spreading it to the sick and vulnerable who are hospitalised in the same ward...…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

They can do the isolation reliably this way. Feasible while there's still only a handful of cases countrywide I suppose...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Ellsbells1 wrote: »
    Is that the only update for Ireland today? It says on the RTÉ website that the one case is all that was confirmed up to lunch time today so does that mean there is other cases today that we haven’t heard about? Or are we hopefully going to manage to stop this thing spreading around Ireland and all the madness going on in the shops will be a waste and the retailers will all be laughing at us.

There are other confirmed cases that have not been included in today's update. Who knows why, maybe they will space them out over a few days so as not to scare people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,974 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

they can't keep it up and they've said just that, might as well keep the few confirmed cases isolated while they can.

There are other confirmed cases that have not been included in today's update. Who knows why, maybe they will space them out over a few days so as not to scare people.

What other 'confirmed' cases?

I suspect you are correct though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Please, the term is Social Distancing.

Nope, proper lockdown. As of tonighttomorrow, a huge part Northern Italy* is officially a red zone - no travelling in or out of it or within it until the beginnig of April at least.

*The whole of Lombardy and the provinces of Modena, Parma, Piacenza, Reggio nell'Emilia, Rimini, Pesaro e Urbino, Venice, Padua and Treviso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭Allinall

I think hospitalising them is putting more people at risk to be honest. Most of the Hospitals don't have proper negative pressure isolation rooms...….. they should be sent home...……. I thibk its a disgrace to have other wise healthy people in hospital , putting healthcare workers at risk and risk spreading it to the sick and vulnerable who are hospitalised in the same ward...…..

Otherwise healthy, apart from the severe sickness they have?

• Advertisement

It's spread via droplets. It's not airborne, they don't need to be in a negative pressure room.

The biggest danger is the healthcare workers catching it and spreading it, but I assume they are being super-careful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement