Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 caution

With regards to Italian cases is it possible this was affecting the country much earlier. They had a bad flu season and looking at the figures in the article below the regions now affected by covid19 are the ones reported to have been hit badly with flu. Case fatalities were much lower during reported flu but with 3 million cases is it possible this virus was circulating at this time or the flu made people more susceptible to ill effects. The below article is from 23rd January this year. Sorry for the format.

https://www.thelocal.it/20200103/flu-outbreak-in-italy-should-you-get-vaccinated?_gl=1*vbtipn*_ga*NDB3Z1plMVZMYzVUb21UM09MX2x1QmRpX0F5UlFmY3VQWXdqVTFmaHE2QTkxVk5falZwczRTcXZiZ3UwWGdTWA..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Nice rant about Irish people dressed up as a concern about spread of the virus. Feel better now:rolleyes:?

I've found out people I know and care about have been unnecessarily put at risk so no, I don't feel better at all. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Apologies, I didn't see that as the thread is moving so fast. Strange that Germany hasn't more cases so.

Where did the German catch it.

Someone traveling from China passed it to the German guy who then somehow passed it to Valencia (Spain) from there to France and then Italy.
    An Italian 38 yo man was infected and taken to hospital with flu symptoms but was not tested because officially he hadn't been in contact with anybody affected - the usual protocol - until it was too late, staff and patients at the hospital were infected by then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

hmmm wrote: »
    It's spread via droplets. It's not airborne, they don't need to be in a negative pressure room.

The biggest danger is the healthcare workers catching it and spreading it, but I assume they are being super-careful.

Not this nonsense again, for about the 8th time.
    Milton cautions that the difference between aerosol and droplet transmission is largely in name only. Respiratory droplets, emitted with a sneeze or a cough, are commonly thought to land within 6 feet of patients and are too large to be buoyant on air currents. Respiratory aerosols are droplets too, Milton said, but smaller and light enough to travel farther.

"You cannot tell the difference epidemiologically between something aerosol transmitted by weak sources and large droplet spray," said Milton. "They behave so similar, it's very hard to pick up the difference."

He said he suspects the capability of long-distance transmission with COVID-19 will be connected to source strength, or how symptomatic a person is.
    http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/02/unmasked-experts-explain-necessary-respiratory-protection-covid-19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

Maybe Ireland should have an independent vetting to get correct figures on who's has what and as the majority of the population to get who's ****ed qmd who's not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

No 8.45 update today? Surprised that it's just one new case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

At this stage it is not only irresponsible, it is in my opinion a crime to be traveling to Italy(or any other infected region) anytime soon. We are supposed to be a well educated race it's time we started showing it from the top down. Someone needs to take the lead here preferably someone experienced in this field. Time to "get your finger out".

caution wrote: »
    With regards to Italian cases is it possible this was affecting the country much earlier. They had a bad flu season and looking at the figures in the article below the regions now affected by covid19 are the ones reported to have been hit badly with flu. Case fatalities were much lower during reported flu but with 3 million cases is it possible this virus was circulating at this time or the flu made people more susceptible to ill effects. The below article is from 23rd January this year. Sorry for the format.

https://www.thelocal.it/20200103/flu-outbreak-in-italy-should-you-get-vaccinated?_gl=1*vbtipn*_ga*NDB3Z1plMVZMYzVUb21UM09MX2x1QmRpX0F5UlFmY3VQWXdqVTFmaHE2QTkxVk5falZwczRTcXZiZ3UwWGdTWA..

Yes, it's been reported on other news pieces that some cases were as old as January. The virus has been going around Europe from beginning of the year

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

New Home wrote: »
    Nope, proper lockdown. As of tonighttomorrow, a huge part Northern Italy* is officially a red zone - no travelling in or out of it or within it until the beginnig of April at least.

*The whole of Lombardy and the provinces of Modena, Parma, Piacenza, Reggio nell'Emilia, Rimini, Pesaro e Urbino, Venice, Padua and Treviso

DRAFT DECREE:

http://www.savonanews.it/fileadmin/archivio/savonanews/2_Bozza_DPCM_7_marzo_con_revisioni_ore_18_-_NO_REVISIONI.pdf.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Things just keep getting worse in Italy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

At what stage do you stop testing for the virus ? If it becomes as widespread as is expected surely its counter productive to continue testing.

Maybe I'm wrong. Would we not be wasting resources

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Vic_08 wrote:
    I have it from a very good source that the case confirmed today were in contact with people who they had dealings with and only informed them of their risk status after they had gotten what they wanted from the contact.
    I had to read this a few times and i still dont know what you're on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Interesting tweet from the WHO. I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but I am suspicious as to whether the Trump administration would be happy to see this sweep through the US quickly, whatever the human cost, and allow them to minimise the economic damage.

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1236381765201207297

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,832 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

UrbanFret wrote: »
    At this stage it is not only irresponsible, it is in my opinion a crime to be traveling to Italy(or any other infected region) anytime soon. We are supposed to be a well educated race it's time we started showing it from the top down. Someone needs to take the lead here preferably someone experienced in this field. Time to "get your finger out".

And still the Department of Foreign Affairs hasn't issued a DO NOT TRAVEL order for Italy...
    Are they even paying attention to what's going on in Italy?
    Maybe they are waiting for Monday's Irish Times.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

At what stage do you stop testing for the virus ? If it becomes as widespread as is expected surely its counter productive to continue testing.

Apt username. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Titclamp wrote: »
    Maybe Ireland should have an independent vetting to get correct figures on who's has what and as the majority of the population to get who's ****ed qmd who's not

Independent vetting to get the truth from our own government, let's think about that for a moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Aerlingus flights to Venice stopped until 9th April, flights to Milan stop on tuesday until 9th april.

Ryanair still available to book at the moment.

MOL doesn't want to have to provide refunds for existing bookings I guess :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Interesting tweet from the WHO. I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but I am suspicious as to whether the Trump administration would be happy to see this sweep through the US quickly, whatever the human cost, and allow them to minimise the economic damage.

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1236381765201207297

It's not fair to lay that at Trump when every other country is doing the same thing including our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Someone traveling from China passed it to the German guy who then somehow passed it to Valencia (Spain) from there to France and then Italy.
    An Italian 38 yo man was infected and taken to hospital with flu symptoms but was not tested because officially he hadn't been in contact with anybody affected - the usual protocol - until it was too late, staff and patients at the hospital were infected by then

I can't understand the logic of not testing someone who has flu symptoms. At least rule it out. Many of the Health service think like robots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

jackboy wrote: »
    This is why they have not made the call. If they can get away with it they will wait till a day or two beforehand to make sure the tourists have entered the country. They will have to keep the numbers down until that time though or they will have no choice but to cancel early. Next week will be interesting.

It’s a bit like Jaws. The mayor playing the shark thing down as scaremongering although really it is about money.

If the case numbers stay in the lowish double digits, I cannot see the St.Patrick's festival being ordered to close. The only thing that would cause it would be a sudden or dramatic spike in cases day on day. The country is still comfortably in the containment phase.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

No 8.45 update today? Surprised that it's just one new case

It's the weekend. Come back Monday. All staff are on the p1ss. Going away party for Mary in accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

cnocbui wrote: »
    Not this nonsense again, for about the 8th time.
    Unless someone with this is superhuman, they are not going to cough strongly enough to send droplets flying all over a hospital. 2 metres space should be loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Has anyone thought about the morality of carrying on with the St Patrick’s Festival at this time?

It strikes me as obscene to hold a countrywide party while our friends and neighbours in Italy and elsewhere are mourning hundreds of deaths.

In fairness alcohol kills the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭dougm1970

It's not fair to lay that at Trump when every other country is doing the same thing including our own.

they've only tested 2000 odd people ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

sticking up for Trump, someone has to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I would agree we are not doing much better, but lets say Trump isn't helping with his communication and is obsession on the impact on the stock market :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭1641

Mwengwe wrote: »
    In fairness alcohol kills the virus

But only if you splutter over it.

Yes, that's correct. Actually that's how a virus usually gets to the end of its run.
    Majority of people get infected, most survive and develop antibodies to get it out of the system, others die and can't infect anybody else
    Covid however has a very high mortality rate and it makes sense to stop before it spreads, but at this point we may have to bite the bullet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Unless someone with this is superhuman, they are not going to cough strongly enough to send droplets flying all over a hospital. 2 metres space should be loads.

I have already quoted and highlighted an experts statement directly contradicting your hypthesis.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

dougm1970 wrote: »
    they've only tested 2000 odd people ?

They have committed 8 billion dollars to fighting the virus and finding a cure.
    What have Leo and co done?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement