Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Mwengwe wrote: »
    In fairness alcohol kills the virus

70% ABV alcohol works as a hand wipe, would need some serious overproof Potin, Rum or w/e.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

odyssey06 wrote: »
    And still the Department of Foreign Affairs hasn't issued a DO NOT TRAVEL order for Italy...
    Are they even paying attention to what's going on in Italy?
    Maybe they are waiting for Monday's Irish Times.

Have any European countries issued such a notice? Just checked the UK one for example and it only lists a small number of towns.
    As much as some posters love to make it sound like only a Irish thing, the blinkers are European wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

hmmm wrote: »
    Interesting tweet from the WHO. I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but I am suspicious as to whether the Trump administration would be happy to see this sweep through the US quickly, whatever the human cost, and allow them to minimise the economic damage.

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1236381765201207297

I don't want to sound crude, but a significant proportion of his base would be vulnerable to coronavirus.

But then again he is an absolute moron

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I can't understand the logic of not testing someone who has flu symptoms. At least rule it out. Many of the Health service think like robots

Me neither (and the UK are doing it).

Might it be that we don't have enough test kits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

tillyfilly wrote: »
    sticking up for Trump, someone has to

He's right though, we criticize the US and Trump for their capitalism and money over people approach but we're doing the exact same thing here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Inquitus wrote: »
    70% ABV alcohol works as a hand wipe, would need some serious overproof Potin, Rum or w/e.

Are you saying we can drink ourselves healthy?

Because that gives us a fighting chance of beating this thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

I had to read this a few times and i still dont know what you're on about.

People who have now tested positive returned from Italy, knew they were high risk, despite this chose to have close contact with other people and only after contact informed them of their potential infection.

Clear enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I can't understand the logic of not testing someone who has flu symptoms. At least rule it out. Many of the Health service think like robots

it's the same protocol everywhere, including here. Makes no sense

odyssey06 wrote: »
    And still the Department of Foreign Affairs hasn't issued a DO NOT TRAVEL order for Italy...
    Are they even paying attention to what's going on in Italy?
    Maybe they are waiting for Monday's Irish Times.

Mon -Fri, 9am - 5pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just wondered how many from here go to Cheltenham races. A lot I would think, but UK has allowed it to go ahead just the same.

Crufts similar. We are not alone in the economic argument are we?

Mammon rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Bob24 wrote: »
    Me neither (and the UK are doing it).

Might it be that we don't have enough test kits?

How do we not have enough test kits... South Korea has tested huge amounts of people. Are they making their own kits? Would it not be useful to start testing everyone with flu like symptoms here rather than rely on contact tracing. I imagine that’d throw up a few random cases

• Registered Users Posts: 23,874 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

He's right though, we criticize the US and Trump for their capitalism and money over people approach but we're doing the exact same thing here.

yes but those criticizing trump also criticise vladkar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

cnocbui wrote: »
    I have already quoted and highlighted an experts statement directly contradicting your hypthesis.
    Your link is well out of date.

Aerosol is regarded as a concern only in certain procedures such as intubation.
    https://www.who.int/publications-detail/clinical-management-of-severe-acute-respiratory-infection-when-novel-coronavirus-(ncov)-infection-is-suspected

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭lillycakes2

ppl are very rude to one another on this forum.....always puts me off posting here, keyboard warriors
    Its sad to see irish people being so rude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Mwengwe wrote: »
    In fairness alcohol kills the virus

Only if it's strong enough!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

HSE website says to go into a room with a phone and open window if you need to self isolate. What's the reason behind the open window?

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    it's the same protocol everywhere, including here. Makes no sense

You are incorrect, some countries have much looser testing policies tan ours. Just next door the UK has started testing patients with flue like symptoms: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51641243

And Korea even has those drive through checkpoint for anyone who wants to be tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The point being that the world (or Reddit) isn't going after Macron or the german health minister for throwing up their hands and 'letting it spread'. No country in the west has taken the drastic measures Tedros and the WHO have been talking about. We won't even cancel paddy's day. Just a bit of balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Where are all the recovered cases first hand accounts? I've read maybe two or three but that is all.

Nearly 60,000 living recovered cases, you'd think we would hear more from this side of things. Especially with social media, theres a ready platform for anyone who wants to tell others about their experience, but it's all been very quiet.

Wuhan still on lock down even now. Not much in the way of reporting coming from there either, with the exception of residents shouting fake, fake it's all fake the other day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I think it's fair to admit the Italians have made an absolute b*lls of this whole situation. They should have immediately put everything on lockdown and cancelled flights after seeing what happened in China when there was even an inkling of an outbreak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

Gael23 wrote: »
    Things just keep getting worse in Italy

Have they run out of pasta?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

ppl are very rude to one another on this forum.....always puts me off posting here, keyboard warriors
    Its sad to see irish people being so rude

Not all of us in fairness. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭juno10353

Isnt it time that we had a 24/7 hospital service. A service where all departments work shifts. Exray, bloods, labs, theatres etc. Then maybe we could deal with backlogs, trolleys etc.

In situations as we now have labs would be working around the clock so many more people could be tested and either registered and monitored or cleared

Also a computerised hospital/medical system. Patients gp records instantly available to hospital and hospital records available to gp as takes place in Spain and other European countries. At present a patients records are not accessible to hospital computer after 6 months but are filed in paper form off site.
    There are no centralised hospital computer records in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Where are all the recovered cases first hand accounts? I've read maybe two or three but that is all.

Nearly 60,000 living recovered cases, you'd think we would hear more from this side of things. Especially with social media, theres a ready platform for anyone who wants to tell others about their experience, but it's all been very quiet.

Wuhan still on lock down even now. Not much in the way of reporting coming from there either, with the exception of residents shouting fake, fake it's all fake the other day.
    I don't think there's anything special about recovered cases. Realistically any recovered cases probably had flu symptoms. Not something to really write about, to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

HSE website says to go into a room with a phone and open window if you need to self isolate. What's the reason behind the open window?

So you can hear the neighbors talking about the leper next door

Beanybabog wrote: »
    How do we not have enough test kits... South Korea has tested huge amounts of people. Are they making their own kits? Would it not be useful to start testing everyone with flu like symptoms here rather than rely on contact tracing. I imagine that’d throw up a few random cases

Just trying to speculate on an explanation. Some governments are clearly more prepared than others and in the US Pence actually officially admitted they don't have enough at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Bob24 wrote: »
    You are incorrect, some countries have much looser testing policies tan ours. Just next door the UK has started testing patients with flue like symptoms: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51641243

And Korea even has those drive through checkpoint for anyone who wants to be tested.

Italy is also testing flue symptoms now and inside the red zone they test also people with no symptoms, but this is only recently. It wasn't the case until before the outbreak
    Europe was in a bubble until 2 weeks ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭smallgarden

The DFA have advised against non essential travel to a good chunk of North Italy from at least Thursday. The problem is that not all airlines aren't cancelling the flights. I'd imagine this will change with the new quarantined areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

I think it's fair to admit the Italians have made an absolute b*lls of this whole situation. They should have immediately put everything on lockdown and cancelled flights after seeing what happened in China when there was even an inkling of an outbreak.

They banned flights from China on 31 January. Their case numbers only ballooned on 21 February.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement