Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

juno10353 wrote: »
    Isnt it time that we had a 24/7 hospital service. A service where all departments work shifts. Exray, bloods, labs, theatres etc. Then maybe we could deal with backlogs, trolleys etc.

In situations as we now have labs would be working around the clock so many more people could be tested and either registered and monitored or cleared

Also a computerised hospital/medical system. Patients gp records instantly available to hospital and hospital records available to gp as takes place in Spain and other European countries. At present a patients records are not accessible to hospital computer after 6 months but are filed in paper form off site.
    There are no centralised hospital computer records in Ireland.

All departments do run 24/7. It's not like they close up shop at 5 and say listen lads handle the rest your selves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

HSE website says to go into a room with a phone and open window if you need to self isolate. What's the reason behind the open window?
    Recycle the air and reduce the risk to anyone else who enters the room.

It's why we need to be opening all the windows on public transport (I suggest welding them open). Wear a bloody jumper if you're cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Anyone know why the Germans have 0 mortality rates? Surely they are doing something right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Italy is also testing flue symptoms now and inside the red zone they test also people with no symptoms, but this is only recently. It wasn't the case until before the outbreak
    Europe was in a bubble until 2 weeks ago

Every time someone uses the word flue an angel dies

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭t8010789

hmmm wrote: »
    Recycle the air and reduce the risk to anyone else who enters the room.

It's why we need to be opening all the windows on public transport (I suggest welding them open). Wear a bloody jumper if you're cold.

That’s a draft idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

They banned flights from China on 31 January. Their case numbers only ballooned on 21 February.
    I mean flights to/from Italy, after Feb 21st. Milan airport should be shut. There's no excuse as to why they're allowing people to move around freely, continuing the spread. If it wasn't for Italy, we'd have zero cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

gabeeg wrote: »
    Are you saying we can drink ourselves healthy?

Because that gives us a fighting chance of beating this thing

Watch 'Grabbers' tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Where are all the recovered cases first hand accounts? I've read maybe two or three but that is all.

Nearly 60,000 living recovered cases, you'd think we would hear more from this side of things. Especially with social media, theres a ready platform for anyone who wants to tell others about their experience, but it's all been very quiet.

Wuhan still on lock down even now. Not much in the way of reporting coming from there either, with the exception of residents shouting fake, fake it's all fake the other day.

Some people exist for more than laying out their lives on social media. Maybe most of the recoveries had very mild symptoms and feel there's not much to tell. Who know?
    If some were reported on it may help sooth some of the hysteria and reassure people that it may not be catastrophic. Details on symptoms, how they self isolated, treatment etc could cool some fears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

fritzelly wrote: »

The only way this post could have been funnier is if you said "angle" :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭NH2013

Anyone know why the Germans have 0 mortality rates? Surely they are doing something right

Same reason we have no mortality rate. Surely we are doing something right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭juno10353

I don't think there's anything special about recovered cases. Realistically any recovered cases probably had flu symptoms. Not something to really write about, to be fair.

Last reports stated that the Dr family only had one member suffering any symptoms and those were very mild. So 3 out of 4 had no symptoms at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

My guess is that they have more ECMO machines and ICU beds available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,118 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

One reason I've heard is they have a high number of intensive care beds - four times the rate of the NHS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Miike wrote: »
    The only way this post could have been funnier is if you said "angle" :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Maybe he typoed his typo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

NH2013 wrote: »

Well Germans are dead inside anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I think it's fair to admit the Italians have made an absolute b*lls of this whole situation. They should have immediately put everything on lockdown and cancelled flights after seeing what happened in China when there was even an inkling of an outbreak.

Do you mean the EU and a whole should have put a flight ban to China before the outbreak? Other than that nothing would have stopped the outbreak in Europe, it could have happened anywhere. People traveled back from China all the way until February in the vast majority of the EU countries. Italy stopped the flights in January. it's was too late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

This chart shows precisely why the Chinese carried out the draconian measures in Wuhan when they did.

They let it go too far, realised what was coming and then acted. Now the Italians will need to follow their example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Yeah but I thought I read they had something like 1000 cases, we've got what? 19?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

HSE website says to go into a room with a phone and open window if you need to self isolate. What's the reason behind the open window?

Fresh air maybe . Maybe they dont want people being put in a cage under the stairs .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

Talking to my architect this morning. He's going to Northern Italy in 3 weeks with family. Said if you calculate population of Italy by cases or Corona, and do same with Ireland, you're as safe in Italy as here. He's not cancelling trip, and he's a clever guy so I dunno what to think.

Did this guy design your house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Do you mean the EU and a whole should have put a flight ban to China before the outbreak? Other than that nothing would have stopped the outbreak in Europe, it could have happened anywhere. People traveled back from China all the way until February in the vast majority of the EU countries. Italy stopped the flights in January. it's was too late
    I'm on about flights to/from Italy. If they had locked down the region completely and closed Milan airport, we (and many other European regions) would have no cases.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Maybe he typoed his typo

What, flue? As in chimney?
    Parts of the country going into full lockdown from tonight.

Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Parts of the country going into full lockdown from tonight.

Lets wait and see what they do before we call it "full lockdown" ...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SwordsRunner

fritzelly wrote: »
    If you have a flue in quarantine can you close the window?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Germans are tough. Hard to kill a German.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭NH2013

I think it's fair to admit the Italians have made an absolute b*lls of this whole situation. They should have immediately put everything on lockdown and cancelled flights after seeing what happened in China when there was even an inkling of an outbreak.

At the same stage we're at now?

Should we close all shops and businesses tomorrow, ground all flights, stop all schools and colleges, no cars/buses/trains, no GAA training, no public gatherings, everyone stay in their houses in order to make sure we don't spread it to other countries?

Wait, maybe that's ridiculously excessive. So if you're suggesting that Italy should have done that then 4 weeks ago, surely you expect us to do that now?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭juno10353

Miike wrote: »
    All departments do run 24/7. It's not like they close up shop at 5 and say listen lads handle the rest your selves.

Many departments run a more limited service out of hours eg labs, theatres, administration etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

I'm on about flights to/from Italy. If they had locked down the region completely and closed Milan airport, we (and many other European regions) would have no cases.

I think that may be a fair point. Many of the arguments against restricting air travel are from the POV of other places restricted flights from hot-spots. Some of them, eg people will travel anyway, would not apply in this case. How many of the ski-trips would have gone ahead for example?

I suspect they'd have been afraid of the economic impact. Whereas now when there's feck all coming or going (based on anecdotal reports of near empty planes) that ship has sailed.

• Advertisement

At the same stage we're at now?

Should we close all shops and businesses tomorrow, ground all flights, stop all schools and colleges, no cars/buses/trains, no GAA training, no public gatherings, everyone stay in their houses in order to make sure we don't spread it to other countries?

Wait, maybe that's ridiculously excessive. So if you're suggesting that Italy should have done that then 4 weeks ago, surely you expect us to do that now?
    I said 'at the inkling of an outbreak'. We're not even close to an outbreak. 95% of our cases came from Italy. Their numbers ballooned on the 21st of February, and they didn't react.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement