Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Will there ever be a rainbow?

will_there_ever_be_a_rainbow_cmb.jpg

Can I borrow a feeling?

Zm8xwaq.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Why would anyone feel “silly” for having a few spare bags of pasta and tinned tomatoes that they’ll likely work through in due course anyway?
    What a stupid comment.

I’ve not been stocking up but I don’t think people who have are “silly”. We don’t know the reasons behind their decision. The scoffing at those who want to be prepared for the shlt hitting the proverbial is kind of pathetic.

I always have about six weeks of food (or more) between two freezers - I make jam, freeze homegrown veg and pickle stuff - I'm rural and with the possibility of getting snowed in over winter it's just done here. Nothing silly about it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭megabomberman

Most people I talk to are still oblivious about the whole thing, I thought the rapid rise of cases in our neighbours would shake the apathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I think before people start freaking out about their own coughs etc - a big indicator for clinical diagnosis is the trouble breathing and low oxygen (Dysopnea / Hypoxia which is 55% of cases). If you've got the sniffles too, more than likely are not effected (4% runny nose).

This info will be more useful by end of the month but still good to take note of now.

EST7mpGX0AA-iX2?format=jpg&name=medium

That's a 25 to 1 chance! I've had bigger winners in Cheltenham. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I keep doing every calculation I can think of and I keep coming back to a CFR of 3.4%.
    OK I'll lay bets now that when done and dusted the actual figure for fatalities will be sub 1% worldwide and of the sub 1% the vast majority will be over 70 years of age. Yes very sad for those who do die and their families and higher than seasonal flu, but way lower than some more dire estimates are giving.

One thing is sure the transmission rate for panic is way higher than any pathogen, with the rate for the spread of bullsh1t not far behind.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

France +92 cases, now at 377.

6 dead.
    12 recovered, 15 in serious/critical condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Most people I talk to are still oblivious about the whole thing, I thought the rapid rise of cases in our neighbours would shake the apathy.
    No apparently not, I know two families going to Italy next week and say they aren’t worried.
    I know one man who is renting an apartment out this weekend to 6 northern Italian rugby fans who now are coming over for the session.
    On another note I never realised Italy was such a popular holiday destination for us Irish .

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Cw85 wrote: »
    That's just scaremongering, all you have to do is look at the amount of people who have recovered from it, which is most.

Im still convinced its a form of Bat AIDS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/23-01-2020-statement-on-the-meeting-of-the-international-health-regulations-(2005)-emergency-committee-regarding-the-outbreak-of-novel-coronavirus-(2019-ncov)
    Human-to-human transmission is occurring and a preliminary R0 estimate of 1.4-2.5 was presented. Amplification has occurred in one health care facility. Of confirmed cases, 25% are reported to be severe.

The WHO is saying the R0 1.4-2.5. Other reports that have been linked here previously are saying as high as 3.5 or more.

Therefore the general estimate has to be between 2-3 as the most likely range. Flu is 1.3-1.4 with a mortality rate of 0.1% while these early estimates of the novel coronavirus are estimating a 1.9% to a 3.8% mortality rate, depending on the study, this should come down due to the onset of mild type cases.

This "it's just like the flu talk" has to be moot at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

They don't know that it's a health system killer. They don't know how few cases will cause deep problems. Seems like when confirmed cases reach about half the number of ICU beds that's when things get serious. Be generous and say that's 150-200 confirmed cases for us (most active at the same time).

(excluding China who went almost complete shutdown after only 500 cases, assuming because they had the knowledge of how long they been covering up and did the maths)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭piplip87

The Dail isn't going to sit again for two weeks ? That's a disgrace. If this gets worse and legislation needs passing for public health reasons then what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

There'll be alot more of this in terms of big organisations having someone tested.

But they aren't enforcing people to work from home. Could well turn out to be like the google employee in the fact that there doesn't seem to be too much urgent concern about this test

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

harr wrote: »
    No apparently not, I know two families going to Italy next week and say they aren’t worried.
    I'm worried about them passing it onto others when they come back. Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Hi may ICU beds does does Ireland have, anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »

6 dead.

ESWzooMXYAA3PZT?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

owlbethere wrote: »
    Many people are comparing this to a cold or a flu and that it will pass easily in time if you are fit and healthy. It hit me today that it could be something much more serious. Of a deeper infection. Like with hiv, after infection, infected people respond differently. Some people show cold and flu symptoms, some people have stronger symptoms than others. Their bodies are responding to the initial infection.

This coronavirus is not a cold or a flu and the quicker people cop on including whatever is left of our government the better.

Complete useless speculation. Loads of viruses can infect the brain. Chicken pox can cause one of the nastiest encephalitis out there. Most people recover from this and have a mild illness. Ridiculous. Mild viral illness can cause fatal cardiomyopathy. The amateur doctoring is dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »

6 dead.

Reduction on yesterdays figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

The toilet roll thing has already kicked off in Clare...I took some pics this morning...will post later.

It was Brennan's slices bread during storm Emma two years ago, now due to Covid-19 it's toilet rolls :)

Is there some logic to this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Cw85 wrote: »
    That's just scaremongering, all you have to do is look at the amount of people who have recovered from it, which is most.

some recovered people were found to be infected again later ….nobody knows if people recover from it or what the prognosis is as there are no long term survivors of this yet

for example many survived Sars with chronic lung issues and this is related to Sars .

why the fcuk would people just dismiss that , this is very serious and people playing it down doesn't help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

piplip87 wrote: »
    The Dail isn't going to sit again for two weeks ? That's a disgrace. If this gets worse and legislation needs passing for public health reasons then what ?

Then they come back and do it. Legislation takes time to draft anyway and if needed the three big parties can try grind out an agreement on the content of any legislation, call an emergency session and get it done quickly.
    I'm not sure what the impact of having no seanad is though in trying to get legislation passed.
    Can't yet see much of a need for primary legislation or the Dáil at this particular juncture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

It was Brennan's slices bread during storm Emma two years ago, now due to Covid-19 it's toilet rolls :)

Is there some logic to this ?

yeah, the amount of ****e going around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,925 ✭✭✭✭banie01

University of Limerick are at least being communicative and giving quite a useful foreshadowing.

That no restrictions are being placed on ongoing charity week events is due more to current HSE Guidelines than it is the actual current transmission risk.

504705.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Sigma101

https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/23-01-2020-statement-on-the-meeting-of-the-international-health-regulations-(2005)-emergency-committee-regarding-the-outbreak-of-novel-coronavirus-(2019-ncov)

The WHO is saying the R0 1.4-2.5. Other reports that have been linked here previously are saying as high as 3.5 or more.

Therefore the general estimate has to be between 2-3 as the most likely range. Flu is 1.3-1.4 with a mortality rate of 0.1% while these early estimates of the Corona Virus are estimating a 1.9% to a 3.8%, depending on the study, this should come down due to the onset of mild type cases.

This "it's just like the flu talk" has to be moot at this point.
    R0 isn't really a fixed number. A fixed number is a convenient means of modelling the spread but in reality the spread rate is dependent on mobility and social interactions of the population as well as on the properties of the virus. It will vary from country to country and it will vary over the time of the epidemic. The number will come down with increased preventive measures such as hand sanitising and social distancing. I think when it's done and dusted we'll see big differences in spread rates between countries that were more proactive and those that weren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,089 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112733042&postcount=791

€20m is being spent to bring 25 new ICU beds into operation, with recruitment taking place to staff them. A further €20m has also been spent on protective equipment for staff.
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/paul-reid-public-needs-to-keep-focused-but-there-shouldnt-be-panic-over-coronavirus-985939.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Pretzill wrote: »
    I always have about six weeks of food (or more) between two freezers - I make jam, freeze homegrown veg and pickle stuff - I'm rural and with the possibility of getting snowed in over winter it's just done here. Nothing silly about it imo.

Have you a backup gennie for the freezer? Thats the only thing that puts me off stocking up freezers, high on energy consumption. We ve been stung a few times with prolonged power cuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Currently 245 according to the HSE briefing https://www.pscp.tv/w/1RDxlQpONLMKL

Very good and informative conference...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Heard it's mum, dad and two kids... heard mum is a nurse and dad a GP but so many different stories going round. Can only imagine what family are going through.

If they came back from an infected zone and carried on working meeting and working with people. Then they are assholes and the hospital management complete are cnuts too.
    And these are medical professionals...like ffs...:mad::rolleyes::eek:

even banks and IT are telling staff to stay away but the HSE "no bother pal great to have you back at work"

if anybody gets sick and dies from this , that's on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

182 new cases confirmed in Germany so far today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

According to this article 249 in 2018 and 255 now

https://www.rte.ie/news/health/2020/0211/1114690-icu-beds/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement