Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,276 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

drkpower wrote: »
    What would the Irish returnees have done had flights been stopped?

We could have organised repatriation flights and setup quarantine settings.

The answers to these kinds of questions are incredibly obvious and the only argument against them is it would have been difficult to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

https://www.nhs.uk/news/medical-practice/three-quarters-of-people-with-flu-have-no-symptoms/

This has already been discussed in thread. Many people with flu have little or no symptoms.

How would they know they had Influenza so?

I was replying to the rubbish that apparently all cases of influenza are "Not something to really write about"

That my friend is complete and utter horse****3. That's from first hand experience btw ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Yes, they could. But we also could have zero cases as of right now if flights from Italy were stopped earlier.

If the whole world grounded flights as soon as the outbreak occurred in China, the whole thing would be sorted by now.

Half of us would be unemployed though.

gozunda wrote: »
    Hisxeoiod they know they had Influenza so?

I was replying to the rubbish that all cases of influenza are "Not something to really write about"

That my friend us complete and utter horse****3. That's from first hand experience btw ...

Sorry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

What about flights mid flight? Just leave them in the sky ta ****?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Bey0nd

My company just sent out an email telling people not to come into the office next week and to work remotely for the foreseeable future. They specifically called out the HSE recommendations as inadequate and a serious threat to our business continuity strategy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Bey0nd wrote: »
    My company just sent out an email telling people not to come into the office next week and to work remotely for the foreseeable future. They specifically called out the HSE recommendations as inadequate and a serious threat to our business continuity strategy!

That is of absolutely no use unless you also limit going to the shops etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Where are all the recovered cases first hand accounts? I've read maybe two or three but that is all.

Nearly 60,000 living recovered cases, you'd think we would hear more from this side of things. Especially with social media, theres a ready platform for anyone who wants to tell others about their experience, but it's all been very quiet.

Wuhan still on lock down even now. Not much in the way of reporting coming from there either, with the exception of residents shouting fake, fake it's all fake the other day.

Do you think it's some conspiracy theory?

What 'experience' do you think they have to talk about? They probably felt sh1te for a few days and then got better. It's not that exciting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

If they want to go to any areas that are most affected by the virus let them go but don`t let them back into this country. Let them stay there.
    Well they're quarantining Lombardy so this might be what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

VinLieger wrote: »
    We literally could have by implementing strict quarantine and flight and boat restrictions thanks to being a tiny island, but that would have required our leaders and the HSE chiefs to have balls, instead they are all too afraid of being criticised for making the wrong decision.

Except that Ireland isn't really a tiny island and that we have an international border on the island which means that an international agreement would have to have been reached to treat the island as a single area. That would have taken time and you can be sure that a certain cohort in the North would not have accepted it. People need to stop looking back. It's here, it was always going to make it here. Now we have to deal with it as best we can.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭Osamabindipper

Why the bloody hell are they sending emails out on a Saturday night? Match them better to be put on the piss when they still can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Can you show it redacted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just think about it all for a moment.

We have no Government, but we have a caretaker Government.

They can make laws and decide policy for this outbreak pro tem.

But no matter what they do it will never be right. I kind of get a bit of silence from FF and SF about this issue, would I be right or wrong there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Hmm :cool:

With a population of just under five million, and only nineteen cases of Covid-19, maybe your employer is overeaceting just a tad?

If it was SARS I'd understand.

Heroditas wrote: »
    That is of absolutely no use unless you also limit going to the shops etc.

Someone making a short trip to their local shop and having no other personal interaction during the day other than their family/roomies is of lesser risk than making a longer trip to work, possibly by public transport and then spending the day interacting with co-workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

At least some of the businesses are thinking about contingency. I see a few large corporations have taken similar steps this week.

It is great to have the option to work from home where possible so they are right to be doing this to protect their staff and ensure that theres minimal impact to the company as well.

Unfortunately not enough companies/organisations will take these measures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Your company just sent an email on Saturday night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

drkpower wrote: »
    What would the Irish returnees have done had flights been stopped?
    Stayed on the Piste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

No elderly relatives in your family? Sick comment to make.

No need to be so sensitive, I merely meant 'lucky' in terms of when something comes along that kills at a high rate indiscriminately it will be the end of civilisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭blackcard

The unpalatable truth is that there is a price put on life. Otherwise we would self isolate with the normal flu even though it has a mortality rate of 0.1%. We would introduce a speed limit of 30 mph. But our economy would go belly up if we did that and we would not be able to support the HSE or afford houses or our standard of living. So maybe you could argue that the Patrick's day festivities day should go ahead. But I would ban flights going to or coming from certain parts of Italy as the risks far outweigh the benefits. It might not prevent the spread of the virus but it would probably reduce the spread. It could be that you might have to do a similar ban for parts of France in a short while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,276 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Just think about it all for a moment.

We have no Government, but we have a caretaker Government.

They can make laws and decide policy for this outbreak pro tem.

But no matter what they do it will never be right. I kind of get a bit of silence from FF and SF about this issue, would I be right or wrong there?

Also if we cant get a government what would be one of the stupidest things to do in the next 2 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

blackcard wrote: »
    The unpalatable truth is that there is a price put on life. Otherwise we would self isolate with the normal flu even though it has a mortality rate of 0.1%. We would introduce a speed limit of 30 mph. But our economy would go belly up if we did that and we would not be able to support the HSE or afford houses or our standard of living. So maybe you could argue that the Patrick's day festivities day should go ahead. But I would ban flights going to or coming from certain parts of Italy as the risks far outweigh the benefits. It might not prevent the spread of the virus but it would probably reduce the spread. It could be that you might have to do a similar ban for parts of France in a short while
    The only reason it's still going ahead is money. Literally the only reason. It's sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Just say a clip of 3 women going at it over toilet paper in a store on the sky news site ... end of days kinda stuff ... did they ever here dog leafs more environmentally friendly

Whenever you see those end-of-days pandemic outbreak films, you never picture yourself as idling away your time looking at the pandemic thread on boards.

Yet here we are.

Oddly enough, flights to Milan through Ryanair are still really expensive. I would've thought they'd be giving them away.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Hmm

With a population of just under five million, and only nineteen cases of Covid-19, maybe your employer is overeaceting just a tad?

You DO know the full name of this virus, don't you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severe_acute_respiratory_syndrome_coronavirus_2

It's SARS-CoV-2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

On a Saturday? What about work /life balance ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Hmm :cool:

it's a liability and reputational thing, what's a couple of weeks/months of lowered productivity versus the absolute ****storm of someone bringing the virus into work and infecting others, there would be absolute hell to pay afterwards.

Every big company in London is telling their employees to bring their laptops home with them and giving laptops to those who need them, I think we will see mass WFH notices by the end of the coming week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Unfortunately not enough companies/organisations will take these measures.

A lot of organisations won't be able to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

in Italy there are 100 infected every 1 million people, most of them probably already in quarantine or in hospital

You are more likely to get infected next week at the parade

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭juno10353

t I would ban flights going to or coming from certain parts of Italy as the risks far outweigh the benefits. It might not prevent the spread of the virus but it would probably reduce the spread. It could be that you might have to do a similar ban for parts of France in a short while

How soon before Ireland finds itself on that list too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Do you think it's some conspiracy theory?

What 'experience' do you think they have to talk about? They probably felt sh1te for a few days and then got better. It's not that exciting.

No I don't think it's conspiracy, but it is something that puzzles me.

In a world where people are only too happy to put everything out there, why are we not hearing more about the survivors?

All we know about this whole thing is being fed to us by the media and the occasional rumour.

Realistically we are only being given the information that they want us to have. A number of people who were documenting life from the epicentre have disappeared.

Where is the real journalism in all this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement