Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

VinLieger wrote: »
    We could have organised repatriation flights and setup quarantine settings.

The answers to these kinds of questions are incredibly obvious and the only argument against them is it would have been difficult to do

And if those people had decided they didn’t fancy quarantine and decided to come home via France, Austria, Switzerland; what then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Bey0nd wrote: »
    My company just sent out an email telling people not to come into the office next week and to work remotely for the foreseeable future. They specifically called out the HSE recommendations as inadequate and a serious threat to our business continuity strategy!

This is one of the things I find really hard to understand. With so many companies here that have the capacity to allow staff to work from home why not issue guidance to at least encourage them to ask staff to do this during this period. No attempt was even made to issue guidance in this area and it seems like such an obvious and simple thing to do. It is farcical that the companies themselves are now seeing this and taking action themselves while pointing out that they see a complete lack of information from the HSE.

Self-isolated, like recommended.

Ok; so you are not suggesting a travel ban; you are suggesting that the advice should have been to voluntarily self isolate if returning from northern italy. Thanks, just wanted to clarify that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Albania now the only European country not to report a case

First death in Argentina

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bey0nd

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Your company just sent an email on Saturday night?

Apparently there was an emergency board meeting today to approve a bunch of new policies in relation to remote working, something we've never had before. The IT department were snowed under this week trying to get 250+ people remote working access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭blackcard

in Italy there are 100 infected every 1 million people, most of them probably already in quarantine or in hospital

You are more likely to get infected next week at the parade

But most of our infections came from people returning from Italy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

tillyfilly wrote: »
    The death toll in Italy has passed 230, with officials reporting more than 50 deaths in 24 hours. The number of confirmed cases jumped by more than 1,200 to 5,883 on Saturday

Going to be very sad for families in that region. Burials and the place under strict lockdown. Funeral gatherings are banned in the decree. The poor buggers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Miike wrote: »
    No Leo Varadkar's crystal ball is in the jewelers getting an ultrasonic cleaning at the moment.

I mean actual extra beds. Not just how many will be free from the ones we already have. That, you can plan for.

Population: 4.5m

Conservative estimate number of infections : 10% or 450,000

Conservative estimate those who need hospitalisation: 5% or 22,500

Not all those will need beds at the same time. Ignoring the fact that this will spike at some point, let’s assume the infections are spread evenly over the next five months, will each person needing a month of treatment.

That’s 4,500 additional ICU beds (probably more).

How many extra staff will that need? How many masks (assuming three or four per healthcare position per day)? Have the HSE told us how many extra beds there will be, how many ventilators the have, or are on order?

As I said. I’d prefer to get it next week, then at the end of April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

When I saw Venice was part of it I remembered...

VLHeeS8.png

Did ye go weser? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

drkpower wrote: »
    And if those people had decided they didn’t fancy quarantine and decided to come home via France, Austria, Switzerland; what then?

Solutions were discussed a few times on the thread: have everyone entering the country fill out a form whereby they need to disclose whether they have been to a know cluster in the past two weeks, and make it clear there will be heavy penalty if anyone is found to have provided incorrect information.

Then for irish citizens and residents of ireland let them in and test them or self quarantine them. And for everyone else decline entry in the country (of course the information that entry will be declined should be provided upfront so that most people are aware they won’t be allowed in before they actually get on on an inbound flight for ireland - this could have been widely published and airlines could have been asked to send a notification about this to anyone with a booking for ireland and to reiterate it with leaflets to passengers at check-in and boarding time).

Would this have provided 100% blockade? No. But it would have blocked most people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭t8010789

So most people who contract this prick of a virus get mild symptoms. Can someone tell me what the definition of mild is here?

About 10 degrees

JDD wrote: »

Out of,interest where does this estimate come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

When I saw Venice was part of it I remembered...

VLHeeS8.png

Did ye go weser? :D

He’s gone, they are all gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Heroditas wrote: »
    That is of absolutely no use unless you also limit going to the shops etc.

If I go to the shop and interact with 10 people, I could potentially be infected by 10 people.

If you go to the shop and interact with 10 people, you could potentially be infected by 10 people.

If we both go into work the next day and we interact, then I have now been exposed you and the potential 10 people you met the previous day & vice versa, so 10 potential opportunities to become infected becomes 21.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

JDD wrote: »
    I mean actual extra beds. Not just how many will be free from the ones we already have. That, you can plan for.

Population: 4.5m

Conservative estimate those who need hospitalisation: 5% or 22,500

That's assuming every person catches it - worst case scenario is 70%, hopefully more at the 40% or less
    And this is likely to play out over several months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Bey0nd wrote: »
    Apparently there was an emergency board meeting today to approve a bunch of new policies in relation to remote working, something we've never had before. The IT department were snowed under this week trying to get 250+ people remote working access.

That’s very forward thinking by your company. I think the government should recommend that all desk based workers work from home where possible. It’d take huge amounts of people out of the daily commute while not making a blanket ban on movement allows front line medical staff, retail workers etc to go to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bey0nd

auspicious wrote: »
    Can you show it redacted?

The jist of it

Bob24 wrote: »
    Solutions were discussed dozens of times in the thread: have everyone entering the country fill out a form whereby they need to disclose whether they have been to a know cluster in the past two weeks, and make it clear there will be heavy penalty for providing incorrect information.

Then for irish citizens and residents of ireland let them in and test them or self quarantine them. And for everyone else decline entry in the country (of course the information that entry will be decline should be provided upfront so that most people are aware they won’t be allowed in before the actually get on their flight and don’t come).

Would this have provided 100 blockade? No. But it would have blocked not people.

So you mean mandatory quarantine? Enforced by what measures?

And what’s the penalty for failing to declare you have been to a cluster zone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Couple of girls I work with are 7-8 months pregnant, it must be terrifying for anyone in that situation...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

blackcard wrote: »
    But most of our infections came from people returning from Italy

But do we know how many traveled back from Italy that didn't get infected? probably thousands of people in the last 2 weeks came back from italy and are ok

it make no sense to single out Italy as the one reason for infection when precautions are not being taken here. You could actually fly to Milan, stroll around and come back and still not get infected if you know how to protect yourself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Your company just sent an email on Saturday night?

You say that as if it's a normal run of the mill Saturday night.

It's a Saturday night in the midst of the biggest ****ing public health crisis since 1920.

Most companies are not like the HSE. They will strategise and do their own risk management.

These are exceptional times and this prevalent attitude is too lazzaiz faire.

Out of,interest where does this estimate come from?

UK have said 20%- 30% of population likely to get infected. I’ve seen other random reports of 40-70%.

It’s bad enough with my conservative estimates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

3 Galway hospitals are apparently implementing 'severe' restrictions according to local media.

HSE wont comment or confirm it is due to coronavirus cases

Do they not realise the lack of basic information is what leads to speculation and concern?

What is the problem with simply saying why the hospitals have implemented that?

The level of secrecy is absurd. It is not jeopardising patient confidentiality for high level info like that.

All other countries have no issues giving specifics to avoid the speculation the HSE are generating.

OI! That's hospitals in the west of the country, thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

One positive of the whole thing could be the breaking of resistance to wfh in many organisations. Think of what everyone who can working from home 3/4 days a week would do for their own work/life balance and mental health not to mention the benefits of less congestion and traffic for those who can't work from home. So I'd really urge anyone working from home to not please not the take the pee and be dossing all day! ;) Get loads done and we'll all benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Space Dog

No I don't think it's conspiracy, but it is something that puzzles me.

In a world where people are only too happy to put everything out there, why are we not hearing more about the survivors?

All we know about this whole thing is being fed to us by the media and the occasional rumour.

Realistically we are only being given the information that they want us to have. A number of people who were documenting life from the epicentre have disappeared.

Where is the real journalism in all this?

Here's an interview with the first German patient, the one who was infected by his colleague from China. He had a sore throat and fever for a day, otherwise he felt ok (it's in German):

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.merkur.de/lokales/starnberg/coronavirus-bayern-covid19-stockdorf-bier-virus-1-radio-webasto-interview-zr-13564866.amp.html

fritzelly wrote: »
    That's assuming every person catches it - worst case scenario is 70%, hopefully more at the 40% or less
    And this is likely to play out over several months

No. That’s assuming only 10% catch it.

40% makes my numbers much, much worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,276 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

We check flight records for everyone arriving back to see where they left for. Again simple answer only reason not to do it is it would be difficult and time consuming.

This whole debacle has revealed our government, institutions and even our citizenry are not prepared to make the hard choices that need to be made, this is a test run and we all failed, if we dont learn from it we wont make it through whatever comes next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    You say that as if it's a normal run of the mill Saturday night.

It's a Saturday night in the midst of the biggest ****ing public health crisis since 1920.

Most companies are not like the HSE. They will strategise and do their own risk management.

These are exceptional times and this prevalent attitude is too lazzaiz faire.

if my company sent out a communication tonight i won't know until Monday morning when i open outlook, that's a fact :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

No I don't think it's conspiracy, but it is something that puzzles me.

In a world where people are only too happy to put everything out there, why are we not hearing more about the survivors?

All we know about this whole thing is being fed to us by the media and the occasional rumour.

Realistically we are only being given the information that they want us to have. A number of people who were documenting life from the epicentre have disappeared.

Where is the real journalism in all this?

No clicks in feel good stories about people with a cough who didn't die.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement