Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭Christy42

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    if my company sent out a communication tonight i won't know until Monday morning when i open outlook, that's a fact :D

Worth a quick check on Sunday evening just in case!!

My own could probably have the vast majority working from home and regularly has people working from home. Checks have been done to ensure that people can if required but we are still in on Monday unfortunately.

I am not sure it will change the landscape too much in terms of more working from home. I have dealt with plenty of people working from home and most seem to have a serious drop off in production.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

A leaked government document has suggested up to 500,000 people could die in the UK from coronavirus if the disease is able to infect up to 80 per cent of the country.

While the Department of Health and Social Care said it did not expect the scenario to happen, the briefing to ministers, leaked to The Sun, said “the reasonable worst case” was for four fifths of the country to succumb to the virus.

The document by the National Security Communications Team warned: “The current planning assumption is that 2-3 per cent of symptomatic cases will result in a ­fatality.”

This could mean as many as 500,000 Britons could die.

A spokesperson for the DHSC said: “We have been clear from the outset that we expect coronavirus to have some impact on the UK, which is why we are planning for every eventuality – including the reasonable worst case scenario. Crucially this does not mean we expect it to happen.

That's wildly different to the claim made:

JDD wrote: »
    UK have said 20%- 30% of population likely to get infected. I’ve seen other random reports of 40-70%.

It’s bad enough with my conservative estimates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Your company just sent an email on Saturday night?
    I applaud them for doing this. Going above and beyond what is required and showing how bad the HSE guidelines. More companies should be doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Think I'll get me a cheap flight to Wuhan, sip on some bat soup from 'the market' and see what all the fuss is about ...... chillin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Thanks for letting us know.

You’re welcome, such nice manners. Boards needs more posters like you............. unless it’s been posted already and you are being sarcastic in which case boards needs less posters like you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I’m not worried about the 90% who get a mild dose. I’m talking about the small percentage of hospitalisations.

do you mean the 15% currently in critical condition? that's not small

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Bey0nd wrote: »
    The jist of it
    Little over the top no ??

Not up to a company to decide if the HSE are doing their job right or not.

Unless theres a case in your area or in the workplace then it's a little over the top to close the office fully.

Give everyone the choice to work from home if they want but to undermine a government department and go against all their advice is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

sideswipe wrote: »
    You’re welcome, such nice manners. Boards needs more posters like you............. unless it’s been posted already and you are being sarcastic in which case boards needs less posters like you.

Thank you. :)

Tbf it is a fast moving thread so it can be hard to see what is or isn't already posted if you don't check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

faceman wrote: »
    For those shouting for a travel ban to certain regions....

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/travel-ban-coronavirus-spread

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-travel-restrictions-effectiveness.html

TL;DR version - travel bans only delayed the spread of the virus in China by 3-5 days. It only delayed the spread by 3-5 weeks internationally.

So it was coming one way or another.

There was a point at which China alone had this disease.

If nobody from China traveled to no other country there would have been absolutely no way for the virus to travel. It isn't magic.

Had all travel to and from China been halted from January 1st to April 1st nobody else in the world would have caught the disease. This is absolutely guaranteed.

This is an extreme scenario. There are less extreme approaches which may have paid dividends.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

A leaked government document has suggested up to 500,000 people could die in the UK from coronavirus if the disease is able to infect up to 80 per cent of the country.

While the Department of Health and Social Care said it did not expect the scenario to happen, the briefing to ministers, leaked to The Sun, said “the reasonable worst case” was for four fifths of the country to succumb to the virus.

The document by the National Security Communications Team warned: “The current planning assumption is that 2-3 per cent of symptomatic cases will result in a ­fatality.”

This could mean as many as 500,000 Britons could die.

A spokesperson for the DHSC said: “We have been clear from the outset that we expect coronavirus to have some impact on the UK, which is why we are planning for every eventuality – including the reasonable worst case scenario. Crucially this does not mean we expect it to happen.

Hilarious. Makes a great story for the red tops to continue the hysteria but is fantasy to suggest anything near 80% rate of infection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

TL;DR version - travel bans only delayed the spread of the virus in China by 3-5 days. It only delayed the spread by 3-5 weeks internationally.

Yes because they had land borders, were an island......

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Tangential comment. The push to have companies work from home is going to create a new working landscape when this all blows over as many companies realise it’s perfectly viable to have a remote workforce.

Or flipping that over, many companies will find it hard to justify not permitting remote working in their organisation in the future

I was thinking about other consequences that this crisis will have, such as the effect on the number of non Corona virus spread due to increased hygiene and proactive hand washing. The spread of regular flu must be severely curtailed by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Christy42 wrote: »
    Worth a quick check on Sunday evening just in case!!

My own could probably have the vast majority working from home and regularly has people working from home. Checks have been done to ensure that people can if required but we are still in on Monday unfortunately.

I've been working from home for the last 2 weeks, the company i work for is flexible with work from home but not all employees have laptops, so most of them will have to work from the office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Couple of girls I work with are 7-8 months pregnant, it must be terrifying for anyone in that situation...

I don't doubt that it would be really scary but the WHO report is that both woman and baby suffer little to no extra complications with Covid-19.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

VinLieger wrote: »

Unless you ban all incoming flights to Ireland from any country and close the border with Northern Ireland it will make little difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭leck

It’s part of their “action plan” released four days ago. 20% off work at its peak - that’s what they’re planning for. Which actually means over a 4-5 month period more than 20% will actually catch it.
    But probably based on 20% of the workforce catching it, not 20% of the entire population which would include older folks who I presume would be more susceptible to being infected.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Just had a few drinks and trying to catch up. Was it 500 cases and January 21st Wuhan closes down (what was its peak infection?) Italy 4600 cases March 8th closing northern region.
    Can we learn from this. Is it a case these two areas are outliers for some reason and absolute cluster fooks? Lower density should help Italy but a lack of being able to mobilize such huge numbers of medical workers is a negative.
    Other areas hopefully won’t see such clusters we hope??
    Scary time for those alone or elderly in those areas. Hopeful we can learn, slow and not repeat it elsewhere

• Site Banned Posts: 38 ChurchtownMan

That's wildly different to the claim made:

Its the same thing roughly. 60M population. 80% high end infected. 50M is. Of which optimistic rate mortality end of 1%. 500,000 fatalities.
    Of course, could be on the lower end of 40% infected, and upper end of 3% fatalities. Still a similar number.
    Which translates to the upper number of 3-4 Million infected in Ireland, and 80k fatalities, some people seem to have an issue with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

With a land border. How are Iceland doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

drkpower wrote: »
    So if they were negative for covid, no problem? What’s a basic health screening and what would that achieve?

So not mandatory quarantine then?

The penalty is quite important don’t you think? So what are you suggesting?

I was pretty clear: either you test and isolate while waiting for the result or you quarantine. No need for both. Basic health screening is looking for known symptoms: dry caught, fever, inflamed lung and being more cautious with anyone who has them.

All pretty straight forward stuff. And again the goal is not to have 100% efficiency (impossible) but to reduce the flow of people from those areas as much as possible and to try and catch cases as best as possible.

Actually I think even without penalty this would have worked for most of the flow. But yes it is important. As I said I am not the police or a lawyer and it I am happy to follow suggestions from professionals on what is considered very deterrent, but probably either a very heavy fine or even possible a threat of some jail time (before you ask as I see you like asking questions: jail time to be completed after a quarantine ;-)).

Let me ask you a question as well: why do you seem to think this wouldn’t have helped? I think it could easily have reduced imported cases by a factor 10 and those greatly slow down propagation here (remember most of our current cases are still relate to Italy).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Little over the top no ??

Not up to a company to decide if the HSE are doing their job right or not.

Unless theres a case in your area or in the workplace then it's a little over the top to close the office fully.

Give everyone the choice to work from home if they want but to undermine a government department and go against all their advice is a bit much.

It’s not a little over the top. They are looking after their employees in a way that the HSE is not. If things get serious and the company did not do this but could have done this, how would the average employee feel? Probably pissed off as a bare minimum. The HSE would not be undermined if they were doing their jobs properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

And yet the delay is better than not having it according to WHO. The gist is every country needs as much time as possible (now that people are copping on) to procure resources and to learn on the job how best to deal with it at every level. It's better for each country to have more time to adapt and be better prepared as it ramps up than to have to face much worse earlier on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The HSE will save us

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Tangential comment. The push to have companies work from home is going to create a new working landscape when this all blows over as many companies realise it’s perfectly viable to have a remote workforce.

Or flipping that over, many companies will find it hard to justify not permitting remote working in their organisation in the future
    That's assuming enough people don't take the proverbial and doss, therfore confirming manager's fears.
    Hope it takes off as, long term, it's a positive effect. Right now on transmission potential but further along for the climate and people's mental well-being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Tbh as it is the only reason I go into the office now is for conferencing and my two screens as I have a laptop that I hook up to them.

But when talking to my manager last week they said I would be given two screens and a phone as soon as they have to make that call. And asked me if there was anything else I need.

Sound enough! I'll probably never go back :-)

The Irish economy is blessed in this sense as there are many of us that have this capability and can somewhat keep it going if we protect ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Hilarious. Makes a great story for the red tops to continue the hysteria but is fantasy to suggest anything near 80% rate of infection.

Okay, so only 125,000 deaths if 20% of the population are infected, with current fatality rates.

Not exactly what I would describe as hilarious or hysterical tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

Strazdas wrote: »
    There was an interesting report on Sky News yesterday saying even total lockdown of a country might not have the desired effect : you could dramatically reduce the cases alright but the virus could simply rebound in the autumn / winter instead.

Overall they were positive though, saying such viruses tend to come in peaks and troughs and follow a similar pattern.

You're kidding yourself watching Sky News kid. They are a paid advertiser for the pharma company that will create the vaccine. Conditioning you so you will run out and get the vaccine. If you cannot see this then you are totally brainwashed and you need to tune out and turn off the MSM stations are go for a walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

otnomart wrote: »
    The first French victim - from Crépy-en-Valois (with no links to neither China nor Italy) started developing symptoms on 13 February.
    However he was diagnosed on the 25 February.

Hence the approx 1 week delay in testing in France.

I was optimistic with 1 week.

Actually this chart suggests that France is only 5 days behind Italy

ESisAMOXsAc8K45?format=png&name=small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Yes because they had land borders, we're an island......

.... with a land border, with the UK.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement