Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

ITman88 wrote: »
    Everyone is different I suppose, personally I hate working from home, to many distractions on top of everything else, I will easily travel 1 hour to the office, and still feel better for it. Oh and as per living and working alone, that’s solitary confinement, banned under human rights in prison

I think there's less distraction at home so I always get more done in less time at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

No, that was Linda Martin's version of "Get Lucky"

I'd blocked that out somehow

Holy god. The terror. The sheer terror of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Strazdas wrote: »
    We're already heading out of flu season in Ireland and into the warmer weather. The idea that 500,000 Irish people are going to contract the corona virus doesn't seem remotely credible (never mind the 2 million figure).
    The algorithms show it's likely. The epidemiologist s have said it. Don't deny the science

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Where did they say that?
    fridays press conference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Bob24 wrote: »
    Already addressed on quarantine: the goal is not to have 100% efficiency but to reduce the flow and catch as many case as possible. So you explain to them it is serious and trust them to do the right thing (as we are doing right now when we are asking people to self quarantine), and most people will do it. Some won’t but they are a minority.

On incorrect information: if it transpires at some point that someone provided wrong information you just enforce the penalty. Not sure what the issue is?

Why do you seem to think this wouldn’t have helped? I think it could easily have reduced imported cases by a factor 10 and thous greatly slowed down propagation here (remember most of our current cases are still relate to Italy).

Ok, so you are trusting people rather than forcibly quarantining them?

Of course that might have helped to slow down the spread. Though your ‘by a factor of 10’ is clearly just plucked from the sky. Many measures would also have slowed things down. Closing schools, workplaces and social events. And many many more.

It’s a question of proportionality. Your accept yourself that your solution would merely have slowed things down, not prevented the arrival. Once it’s here, it will inevitably spread significantly. More Draconian measures means we will,still have a covid outbreak, but we will also have an economic crash and potentially civil unrest (if you imprison people for telling lies at the airport).

I have a feeling that public health doctors and epidemiologists might have been clever enough to think about your proposed solutions, but felt that they would be of relatively little benefit, and perhaps counter productive; I’m going to go with them on this one, with all due respect to your ideas.

• Advertisement

Sod it, I’m skipping pages again.

If you look at the tweets when Northern Ireland has a case, it says preemptive. Is Ireland only releasing numbers that have been checked, double checked then triple checked? Have the DOH said what their criteria for releasing to the press is?

This might be why VinLiger and others know of cases that the public don’t know about yet. The person with Coronavirus knows at preemptive test stage.

Does that sound possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

they still havn't figure out how the cuh guy got it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Sod it, I’m skipping pages again.

If you look at the tweets when Northern Ireland has a case, it says preemptive. Is Ireland only releasing numbers that have been checked, double checked then triple checked? Have the DOH said what their criteria for releasing to the press is?

This might be why VinLiger and others know of cases that the public don’t know about yet. The person with Coronavirus knows at preemptive test stage.

Does that sound possible?

No

gabeeg wrote: »
    No

Well that’s that cleared up then!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The Sunday Business Post tomorrow is saying 1.9 million people could get the virus here and half of those within a 3 week period. I think they are quoting dept of health sources but hard to the text on the jpeg front page.

Gloomy stuff. Questions how on earth the health service could cope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Things seem to be going out of control , where is this going to end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The Sunday Business Post tomorrow is saying 1.9 million people could get the virus here and half of those within a 3 week period. I think they are quoting dept of health sources but hard to the text on the jpeg front page.

Rather hard to believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Without the regular cold and flu knocking around you'd hope transmission would be lowered in winter, but no, there's no evidence that this virus won't be transmitted when in warmer seasons.

Other than the very slow spread in ecuadorial regions

File:COVID-19-outbreak-timeline.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'd blocked that out somehow

Holy god. The terror. The sheer terror of it.

Wish me luck. I'm goin in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

homer-simpson-work-from-home-the-simpsons-typing-gif-11543554

Everybody next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Where are the figures on how many tests have been carried out by the HSE?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

It killed half a million people.

During a time period which experienced 110,000,000 deaths. Drop in the ocean

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

tillyfilly wrote: »

We still only have 19 cases. One hurling team and a few subs.

I wouldn't be calling the end of times just yet

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The HSE tests if you have both the symptoms and are from a certain area. At what point does an area get on to that list? When would Italy as a whole? When would Germany, with its rising numbers? What's the threshold?

Where are the figures on how many tests have been carried out by the HSE?

Up to Monday 2nd March there were 397 carried out in total. Won’t know what the next figure will be till Tuesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Empty_Space

How long before we are on lockdown like Lombardy? 2 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Sounds questionable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Is this page updated just once a day? Did China just report one new case and no deaths?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

We have 19 now. In three weeks that figure will rise to 950,000?

Or it will reach that over any random three weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Wish me luck. I'm goin in

Don't do it to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

ixoy wrote: »
    The HSE tests if you have both the symptoms and are from a certain area. At what point does an area get on to that list? When would Italy as a whole? When would Germany, with its rising numbers? What's the threshold?

time will tell. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Blueshoe wrote: »
    We still only have 19 cases. One hurling team and a few subs.

I wouldn't be calling the end of times just yet

I mean globally

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

This is the biggest global catastrophe since WW2

It's going to get scarier every day. We need to get our **** together.

Vietnam killed 2 million according to estimates, what are you basing your prediction on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

tillyfilly wrote: »

the admin decide to let us have two threads, one for verified updates, and one for the craic

• Advertisement

We have 19 now. In three weeks that figure will rise to 950,000?

You’ve rounded down to calm our nerves, haven’t ya?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement