Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

paw patrol wrote: »
    some recovered people were found to be infected again later ….nobody knows if people recover from it or what the prognosis is as there are no long term survivors of this yet

for example many survived Sars with chronic lung issues and this is related to Sars .

why the fcuk would people just dismiss that , this is very serious and people playing it down doesn't help

It's not serious now in Ireland, it may become so, but currently it's not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Wibbs wrote: »
    OK I'll lay bets now that when done and dusted the actual figure for fatalities will be sub 1% worldwide and of the sub 1% the vast majority will be over 70 years of age. Yes very sad for those who do die and their families and higher than seasonal flu, but way lower than some more dire estimates are giving.

One thing is sure the transmission rate for panic is way higher than any pathogen, with the rate for the spread of bullsh1t not far behind.

Any chance you could go through your top indicators on this? what points are convincing you the most? Has enough data come in now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Why would anyone feel “silly” for having a few spare bags of pasta and tinned tomatoes that they’ll likely work through in due course anyway?
    What a stupid comment.

I’ve not been stocking up but I don’t think people who have are “silly”. We don’t know the reasons behind their decision. The scoffing at those who want to be prepared for the shlt hitting the proverbial is kind of pathetic.

Very good post. A lot of judgemental stuff going on.

I'm in my early 40s and very fit aerobically and core strength wise at the moment, and you'd think I was in the whole of my health to look at me but I've chronic asthma and had 2 bouts of pneumonia since 2016. Everyone's situation and thinking is different. The know it all posters do my head in. Because none of us know it all about a new virus and it's impacts.

I do laugh when he says it at the end of the Late Late Show, but I have to quote Ryan Tubridy, 'be kind to one another'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,525 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

piplip87 wrote: »
    The Dail isn't going to sit again for two weeks ? That's a disgrace. If this gets worse and legislation needs passing for public health reasons then what ?

New legislation won’t necessarily be needed. The basis for restricting movements for quarantine and so on are already set out in existing legislation. Statutory Instruments can be used to fill the gaps so to speak and all that requires is the line Ministers approval.

Minister Harris has already signed Statutory Instruments following the outbreak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

harr wrote: »
    No apparently not, I know two families going to Italy next week and say they aren’t worried.
    I know one man who is renting an apartment out this weekend to 6 northern Italian rugby fans who now are coming over for the session.
    On another note I never realised Italy was such a popular holiday destination for us Irish .

And vice versa, Ireland is popular for Italians, tourism Ireland do a lot of ads in Italy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

182 new cases confirmed in Germany so far today

Looks like they are going to leap frog up past France (no pun intended) and Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

As of now

80,422 China
    6,088 South Korea
    3,513 Iran
    3,513 Italy
    444 Germany
    377 France
    360 Japan
    248 Spain
    162 United States
    117 Singapore
    105 Hong Kong
    95 Switzerland

Source: Hopkins

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

Workers worried about what is gonna happen and the ones on voluntary dole sitting happily at home watching sky news...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

It was Brennan's slices bread during storm Emma two years ago, now due to Covid-19 it's toilet rolls :)

Is there some logic to this ?

If I were a sliced ham manufacturer I'd employ women in their late 30s/early 40s to hang outside school gates pretending to pick up their kids and get them to strike up conversations with mothers wearing sunglasses on their heads (you know the type). "God this coronavirus is awful, I must drop by Supervalu on the way home and pick up some SLICED HAM before it's all gone."

Guaranteed the shelves would be cleared nationwide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

tuxy wrote: »
    No one starved in Wuhan because of this as far as I know.
    I'd say most Irish people would be better off if they were 5 - 10 kg lighter.

Except for all those people who starved to death. For example https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/30/disabled-teenager-in-china-dies-at-home-alone-after-relatives-quarantined

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

As of now

80,422 China
    6,088 South Korea
    3,513 Iran
    3,513 Italy

Can we award them both bronze medals like they do in boxing?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There is the axis of health in grey

680px-COVID-19_Outbreak_Cases_in_Europe.svg.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Yurt! wrote: »
    If I were a sliced ham manufacturer I'd employ women in their late 30s/early 40s to hang outside school gates pretending to pick up their kids and get them to strike up conversations with mothers wearing sunglasses on their heads (you know the type). "God this coronavirus is awful, I must drop by Supervalu on the way home and pick up some SLICED HAM before it's all gone."

Guaranteed the shelves would be cleared nationwide
    No need for all that effort just but a false story on Facebook and watch the gob****es share away and all will be swearing blind it’s true.

How lovely....
    Funerals 'could be streamed online' if COVID-19 becomes pandemic

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-funerals-could-be-streamed-online-if-covid-19-becomes-pandemic-11950246

Italy's name is going to be dragged through the mud with Covid 19. As a nation, they are single handedly exporting the virus to countries all over the globe.

Tourism in Northern Italy must be massive..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

The 5pm Italy update gets me real nervous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

115 cases in UK now. Not too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Italy's name is going to be dragged through the mud with Covid 19. As a nation, they are single handedly exporting the virus to countries all over the globe.

When this dies down, i'll get my vaccine and off to milan for 3 weeks. Dirt cheap.

• Advertisement

It's worse than the German occupation map at it's peak of conquest in 1942 by a longshot!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Donald Trump hopefully listening

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1235596287006912514

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭timmyntc

As of now

80,422 China
    6,088 South Korea
    3,513 Iran
    3,513 Italy
    444 Germany
    377 France
    360 Japan
    248 Spain
    162 United States
    117 Singapore
    105 Hong Kong
    95 Switzerland

Singapore have done very well to curb their initial outbreak - and in such a dense place too.
    I wonder what their new infection rate per day is like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭recyclebin

As of now

80,422 China
    6,088 South Korea
    3,513 Iran
    3,513 Italy
    444 Germany
    377 France
    360 Japan
    248 Spain
    162 United States
    117 Singapore
    105 Hong Kong
    95 Switzerland

If you divide these numbers by population then 1 in 8500 people in South Korea have it and 1 in 17000 in China have it. I find China's numbers hard to be credible based on those numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

WHO general sounds angry talking in a firm tone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,925 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Naggdefy wrote: »

Northern Italian airports are a cheap point of access to Italian, French, Swiss and Austrian Alps aswell as the general tourist attractions of Italy itself.

Massive throughput of tourists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I hear Greenland is nice this time of year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It was Brennan's slices bread during storm Emma two years ago, now due to Covid-19 it's toilet rolls :)

Is there some logic to this ?
    With the toilet rolls yes.....you will be using the toilet a fair bit if you get coronavirus by the sounds of it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

recyclebin wrote: »
    If you divide these numbers by population then 1 in 8500 people in South Korea have it and 1 in 17000 in China have it. I find China's numbers hard to be credible based on those numbers.

China is more like about 1 in 160 as most cases took place in Wuhan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement