Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Makes me wonder what consistencies are possible for third level institutions. A lot of exams to be sat in 8 weeks time - I can't help but wonder how they're going to navigate that mine field if the projections for spread are true (12 week to peak etc). You can't indefinitely postpone exams, surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,287 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Phoebas wrote: »
    19 + (19 * 4) + (19 + (19 * 4) * 4) = 418

That's covering 3 tiers of infection, we are talking about 3 weeks so 21 tiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

if it doubles every 1.33 days, you get those figures. which isnt on trend, but we'll see after the weekend how it's going,

they probably didn't count on only one new case today

In China it doubled every 4 days. Outside China it is ever 6 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,118 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

fritzelly wrote: »
    For all those hoping it will go away in the Summer
    The WHO briefing from yesterday, Dr Ryan said they...

Nobody is saying anything about the virus magically 'going away' though. There are always strains of flu and other versions of corona doing the rounds. This will just become another one in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

ITman88 wrote: »
    We need more of your kind on this cesspit of a thread

Boards.ie has the potential to be a force for good in this crisis. A collapse of our health system or society is in nobody’s interest. Normal life will continue. People will suffer heart attacks, have babies, be involved in car accidents etc. I am sure blood stocks are running low as many people are concerned about attending blood donation clinics. Those of us in less vulnerable groups could take the lead and donate blood at the next clinic in our area. Contact one person in our community who is elderly or unwell and ask them if we can deliver their groceries or medicines.
    Now is the time to pull together as a community and a society.
    If we were faced with a flood or a fire in our communities I believe many of us would gladly help our friends and neighbours. This threat although unseen, should elicit the same response as other emergencies in our communities. Help, support, kindness, resolve.

The doom mongering was entertaining for a while but it is now time for maturity and the better angels of our nature.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Pretzill wrote: »
    Somebody had a very relevant question about what happens if someone is dying of covid-19 and how is it handled from their families perspective etc. I haven't been watching much of this unfold today but I heard a brief statement from the family of one of the recent deaths in the UK read on Sky. The jist was they were having to grieve for their loved one, in isolation - that hit home -.I presume no bedside vigil or final goodbye - very sad.
    That's the stuff people need to keep in mind when they say covid19 won't affect them, this stuff CAN affect them. I imagine a build up in morgues and not being able to wait perhaps for all family members to come out of isolation/travel.. def it's a very sad issue that we will hear more of. Must see if I can read how Italy are managing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Which website are you using for the most up to date case news?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

tillyfilly wrote: »
    This is a scary time, It’s probably the scariest time since ww2 and will be the scariest until ww3, take care of those close to you but keep your distance, be safe out there
    Scarier then the cold world!, sept11, al Qaeda, Chernobyl
    etc etc? Or even the troubles in Ireland in a irish context?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Which website are you using for the most up to date case news?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ is very reliable.

The public ones I personally keep an eye on are SitReps from WHO, the JHU webscrape, ECDC and HPSC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

That's covering 3 tiers of infection, we are talking about 3 weeks so 21 tiers.

So you expect every on earth to get covid-19 3000 times over in the next three weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

With a land border. How are Iceland doing?

Not good. Because they probably followed the same foolish advice as our HSE, that it was ok to fly to and from northern Italy and when you returned you could continue with your daily life including going to work unless you felt ill. By then of course it was too late.

As long as direct flights to and from northern Italy exist you will see new cases continue to rise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

So one case today?

Not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Ireland Population 4,830,000 last count
    Best estimates on infection are between 20-70%
    Mortality rate is 3.4%
    70% infection rate is 115,000 dead
    20% infection rate is 33,000
    Sad to say judging the HSE on past performance , could even be worse!

That mortality rate is based on known cases though. What about people that had it and cleared it without being detected? That means the mortality rate will be much lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Scarier then the cold world!, sept11, al Qaeda, Chernobyl
    etc etc? Or even the troubles in Ireland?
    Y

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Strazdas wrote: »
    There was an excellent article by Simon Jenkins in the Guardian on Friday pointing out we've been down this killer epidemic route several times before : first AIDS was going to kill everyone, then Bird Flu, then BSE (Mad Cow Disease), then SARS. Each one had dire predictions of 'millions' being wiped out.

I do remember when the AIDS epidemic kicked off in the 80s and I can recall the absolute terror and panic around it.

At the start it wasn't known how it was transmitted so people thought you could just 'catch aids'.

New diseases are always going to be scary as we learn more about them. Plus i's a threat that we cannot see and that makes it more frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

tillyfilly wrote: »
    This is a scary time, It’s probably the scariest time since ww2 and will be the scariest until ww3, take care of those close to you but keep your distance, be safe out there

I don't know about that. Nuclear war was scarier and more dangerous. HIV was fairly scary back in the day when the treatment wasn't available like it is now.

Not sure if you are entirely serious and not sure of the point of posts like this. When others are providing information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I feel I have, but not clearly enough I guess. Its based on the fact that the mortality rate you raise is meaningless in this context. Due to its size, China was able to effectively remove a great portion of its population from the equation. Ireland cannot do that. The whole population is in the equation. While the two are indeed 'countries' politically, due to the incomparable geographical size, and population numbers, your comparison is not relevant.
    Additionally, the process is not yet over, even in China.

The process is not over for China but the trend is positive. Anyway, you are still avoiding basics. You asserted that 10,000+ people will die in Ireland from this virus. This is 1000+ times the mortality rate in China to date. Yet again, other than opinion, do you have any facts to support your assertion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3074080/coronavirus-global-infections-could-increase-tenfold-every-19
    Cases worldwide outside China may increase ten fold every 19 days without much harsher measures to curb infection rate

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Thingymebob

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

That's the stuff people need to keep in mind when they say covid19 won't affect them, this stuff CAN affect them. I imagine a build up in morgues and not being able to wait perhaps for all family members to come out of isolation/travel.. def it's a very sad issue that we will hear more of. Must see if I can read how Italy are managing.

This virus will affect us all in some way or another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It seems as the US ramps up their testing (and reducing their testing criteria) they are finding it everywhere. Imagine what would happen in Ireland if we relaxed the testing criteria?

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1236445652424577024

M

So you expect every on earth to get covid-19 3000 times over in the next three weeks?

To get it possibly, to actually die or get seriously ill not many at all.

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3074080/coronavirus-global-infections-could-increase-tenfold-every-19
    Cases worldwide outside China may increase ten fold every 19 days without much harsher measures to curb infection rate

In context that's ~3 months for the whole world to become infected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

fritzelly wrote: »
    It seems as the US ramps up their testing (and reducing their testing criteria) they are finding it everywhere. Imagine what would happen in Ireland if we relaxed the testing criteria?

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1236445652424577024

The US is fúcked. Sadly. A silver lining is that it might mean Trump is dumped.

To get it possibly, to actually die or get seriously ill not many at all.

Your model reaches every person in the entire world in 15 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

In context that ~3 months for the world to become infected.

Deep breaths, stupid is not contagious. Might be no harm wearing a mask when replying to those post tho

M

Your model reaches every person in the entire world in 15 days.

I did watch The Last Ship :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

So one case today?

Not bad.

The calm before the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Pretzill wrote: »
    Somebody had a very relevant question about what happens if someone is dying of covid-19 and how is it handled from their families perspective etc. I haven't been watching much of this unfold today but I heard a brief statement from the family of one of the recent deaths in the UK read on Sky. The jist was they were having to grieve for their loved one, in isolation - that hit home -.I presume no bedside vigil or final goodbye - very sad.

Unfortunately, a cluster of Spanish cases are linked to a funeral for one of Spain's first cases; This is a really sad notion. Consider Italy today, so many fatalities :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I don't know about that. Nuclear war was scarier and more dangerous. HIV was fairly scary back in the day when the treatment wasn't available like it is now.

Not sure if you are entirely serious and not sure of the point of posts like this. When others are providing information.

AIDs is difficult to catch. Its not an airborne disease and requires blood to blood transmission or similar. And you could live for years.

Covid 19 is far more virulent and contagious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement