Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭Christy42

maddog wrote: »
    This annoys me, mortality rate is based on a functional health service.... 2200 infections fills all our icu beds! The mortality rate would be in the high 30 % with a non functioning health service.
    This is not the flu, 2000 on trolleys across our hospital’s yesterday.

Don't we have 80% as mild cases?

Even if we didn't let anyone in hospital we wouldn't reach 30% mortality. Scaremongering. We need a sensible response. Not people shouting the end is nigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

fritzelly wrote: »
    But but but we've only got 19 cases, tis grand

Varadkar doesn't wanna have the decision on his head - thought more about the cows than they do people right now.

well, you don't have to put down everyone in the village if one person gets it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

If anything, people need to have a serious thought about their mortality. As someone who has seen family members prematurely die and friends die through suicide, people need to stop assuming that they can cruise through life well into their 70s and 80s and then just bow out. The world can be a cruel place and it owes you nothing. Pay attention to the warnings, wash your hands, limit contact with other people, and accept that this is going to be a major pain in the arse but that in all likelihood you and your loved ones will get through it.

Who assumes this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

The virus is here, nothing can be done about it now.

Somebody mentioned that our goal now is to slow down the spread of it in one go and not have a health system overloaded.

How do we slow it down? Surely it's more than hand washing?

The guidelines. Follow the guidelines.

Also, masks are low supply. Maybe scarfs wrapped around the face to limit exposure from a sneeze or cough.

Vitamins, minerals = immune system

Try and rest and get some well - immune system.

Try not worry. We are all in this together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Here it is: Italy responds

Take note Ireland... there's still time to do the right thing on March 17th...do we want this in a few weeks time? No weddings, no funerals......

What's the total obsession with banning the parade on St.Patrick's Day? Does the risk of Covid 19 vanish at 3pm that afternoon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Thingymebob

Here it is: Italy responds

Take note Ireland... there's still time to do the right thing on March 17th...do we want this in a few weeks time? No weddings, no funerals......

Italy set to quarantine whole of Lombardy due to coronavirus

The Italian government is to lockdown the northern region of Lombardy, as it battles to contain the spread of the coronavirus.

What happens to those from Lombardy currently in Dublin for the match that wasn’t? Are we all going to get an Italian billeted in us fir the duration?

(Ok, i know billeting won’t happen but in all seriousness are they trapped here or are the Italian government going to put them up in the arrivals hall after they land back in Italy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

You do realise that FG were not in power in 2001? Half the caretaker government, including Varadkar, weren't even TDs at the time. And the main man responsible for the emergency measures in 2001, Minister for Agriculture Joe Walsh, passed away a few years ago.

Well d'oh - missed the point, government thinks more about cows health than people's health

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Strazdas wrote: »
    What's the total obsession with banning the parade on St.Patrick's Day? Does the risk of Covid 19 vanish at 3pm that afternoon?

It's a massive gathering of people tightly packed together ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

My concern isn’t really Patrick’s Day but where the timeline of this thing is likely to go.

There’s an assumption that, like the winter Flu, it will just somehow disappear in April. That’s not looking like something we can take for granted, although I’d love to be optimistic.

So does that mean that all sorts of events and festivals across the summer may be in doubt?

The worst case scenario economically speaking (as cold as that may seem) is that this bubbles away, very disruptively until vaccines arrive in 2021.

It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that we are stuck with this virus, and a new normal for a year or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

If anything, people need to have a serious thought about their mortality. As someone who has seen family members prematurely die and friends die through suicide, people need to stop assuming that they can cruise through life well into their 70s and 80s and then just bow out. The world can be a cruel place and it owes you nothing. Pay attention to the warnings, wash your hands, limit contact with other people, and accept that this is going to be a major pain in the arse but that in all likelihood you and your loved ones will get through it.

All of that is very true but what about when this eventually slows down? the Global community needs to come down hard on China! how many more pathogens this century before they even attempt to change their ways. What’s done is done but for the sake of future generations we shouldn’t and can’t tolerate outdated ways and negligence in a globalist society.

• Advertisement

laugh wrote: »
    It's a massive gathering of people tightly packed together ....

For two hours along a two mile route in the open air.

For some reason, the Dublin parade and nothing else has become a target. It's as if on March 18th, the risk of the virus will somehow have lifted.

Well d'oh - missed the point, government thinks more about cows health than people's health

That's not the point you made.

Xertz wrote: »
    My concern isn’t really Patrick’s Day but where the timeline of this thing is likely to go.

There’s an assumption that, like the winter Flu, it will just somehow disappear in April. That’s not looking like something we can take for granted, although I’d love to be optimistic.

So does that mean that all sorts of events and festivals across the summer may be in doubt?

The worst case scenario economically speaking (as cold as that may seem) is that this bubbles away, very disruptively until vaccines arrive in 2021.

It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that we are stuck with this virus, and a new normal for a year or so.

Cancel everything and we can all live on unicorn farts and rainbows for the next year (and stockpiled bog roll).

Maybe because some eminent doctors thinking ahead if this gets worse have the right idea, thousands of people not wanting to catch it (don't say don't go - mass gatherings increase community transmission even if you don't know the original carrier), other countries banning mass gatherings, Italy going into lockdown

What's the harm in postponing it? At the end of the day it's only an excuse for a few floats and lots of people to get drunk, can see NY cancelling it for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I think worse case scenario might be world war conditions. Hopefully no war or fighting but social unrest??? I don't know what that will lead to. Nobody gets paid during a war.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭sunshinew

I’d also just stress Ireland is *not* even remotely comparable to China. We couldn’t be any less like an authoritarian state.

Strange things happen in China in terms of human rights abuses and secretive state practices, as they did in the USSR and in plenty of other regimes characterised by authoritarianism and a culture of coverup.

You are simply not going to see that happen here as there’s no way it could. We don’t have that type of system and the government neither has an interest in, the power to or the ability to do any of those things.

In fact, I would go as far as to say that if the government tried to conspire against anything, I don’t think they would even manage to pull it off for more than a couple of minutes due to a mixture of leaks and inability to be that tightly commanded and organised - and that’s not something I’m being critical or, rather that I’m quite thankful for.

Give me Irish somewhat organised chaos any day over militarised authoritarianism!

Sorry I quoted the wrong quote in my post - the Chinese story quote was in response to discussions about what could happen in Ireland, visiting dying relatives etc. And the report of the first death in Australia where relatives had to say goodbye through glass on the phone, which is what I was responding to with my own experience of visiting my father.

However Italy has released a draft lock down plan banning funerals, weddings etc. in certain regions. While I can't imagine forced cremations like Chinese reports happening in Ireland - when the first death occurs here, I also can't imagine the usual funeral rituals happening. I believe people will stay away from the family out of fear of contagion. Some relatives quarantined and not able to attend... I imagine a very lonely grieving process for people.

Cancel everything and we can all live on unicorn farts and rainbows for the next year (and stockpiled bog roll).

That’s the risk though. There comes a point where’s life has to go on.

That's not the point you made.

Yes it is but you didn't read it correctly

Not vanish but medical experts do think these specific viruses are very cyclical. They peak for a few weeks then numbers of cases go back into decline again.

The virus itself won't miraculously disappear of course. It will still be around as a nasty virus and will need development of vaccines etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

nocoverart wrote: »
    All of that is very true but what about when this eventually slows down? the Global community needs to come down hard on China! how many more pathogens this century before they even attempt to change their ways. What’s done is done but for the sake of future generations we shouldn’t and can’t tolerate outdated ways and negligence in a globalist society.

I agree with you but trade deals will forgive any transgressions. China now is so powerful that the west can't really dictate but has to tolerate. The likes of this virus though should hopefully get them to observe lent for bats and snakes.:)

• Advertisement

Yes it is but you didn't read it correctly

Orly?
    But but but we've only got 19 cases, tis grand

Varadkar doesn't wanna have the decision on his head - thought more about the cows than they do people right now.

Perhaps you meant to say "government thought more about the cows ...." but regrettably I do not have the power of telepathy over the 1s and 0s that make up the internet (yet) so sorry for not picking it up.

Not vanish but medical experts do think these specific viruses are very cyclical. They peak for a few weeks then numbers of cases go back into decline again.

Dr Ryan of the WHO isn't so sure

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112759847

There isn't even any hard evidence of what the immunity is like after recovering

• Site Banned Posts: 48 viewfromtheuk

AIDs is difficult to catch. Its not an airborne disease and requires blood to blood transmission or similar. And you could live for years.

Covid 19 is far more virulent and contagious.

AIDS is easy to avoid, most transmissions are from male to male anal sex, this Coviid19 is harder to prevent transmission

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

thought more about the cows than they do people right now.
    You do realise that FG were not in power in 2001?

He's not talking about foot and mouth, he's talking about Varadkar being a Hindu and likes to masturbate to pictures of cows before he goes asleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I agree with you but trade deals will forgive any transgressions. China now is so powerful that the west can't really dictate but has to tolerate. The likes of this virus though should hopefully get them to observe lent for bats and snakes.:)

Of course! we’re just pawns at the end of the day. Yes, laying off bats would be a good start.

tillyfilly wrote: »
    Coronavirus could be ‘disaster of unimaginable proportions’ for refugees caught up in migration crisis

If cruise ships are bad these camps would be very bad for spreading

Damn right, and that why the EU is and should be 100% backing Greece against Turkey in the current refugee issue.

owlbethere wrote: »
    I think worse case scenario might be world war conditions. Hopefully no war or fighting but social unrest??? I don't know what that will lead to. Nobody gets paid during a war.

Well that’s fairly unlikely, particularly here in Ireland. We tend to pull together in a crisis and need very little state or systemic involvement.

I would be more worried about things like that in various tinderbox American cities that are only a few steps away from looting anytime the police are perceived to be weak.

I somehow don’t think Ireland would suddenly turn into Lord of the Flies or something out of a Hollywood’s post apocalypse genre. We function pretty well with very little in the way of heavy policing or heavy state involvement at all. It’s a pretty tranquil and chilled out country by any standards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I'm off to bed and try not to worry.

They really have gotten this under control. In a couple of weeks new cases could be in the single figures.

They are implementing best practice and the west just ignores the lessons they learned.

Do you really believe the Chinese government are telling the truth?

• Advertisement

I find AIDs fairly scary but that's probably showing my age and how dangerous it was considered and reported.

Fact is people died horrible death from AID'S in the 80"s, now it is manageable, you can live a full life, no Cure for Covid19

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement