Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Just found this on adverts...

https://www.adverts.ie/healthcare/irish-sourced-hand-sanitizer-in-pouch/19963922

I suppose you could call it enterprising. People are actually paying the outrageous asking price too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Xertz wrote: »
    Well that’s fairly unlikely, particularly here in Ireland. We tend to pull together in a crisis and need very little state or systemic involvement.

I would be more worried about things like that in various tinderbox American cities that are only a few steps away from looting anytime the police are perceived to be weak.

I somehow don’t think Ireland would suddenly turn into Lord of the Flies or something out of a Hollywood’s post apocalypse genre. We function pretty well with very little in the way of heavy policing or heavy state involvement at all. It’s a pretty tranquil and chilled out country by any standards.

There is definitely a latent sense of duty and community that will come out of it I've no doubt the country will row together.

Earlier it was mentioned that retired health workers wouldn't come back for the government, but my point was those that are fit will come back in the midst of a crisis where it is clear they are needed to help people. A lot of times none us act up until the point where we feel we are truly needed.

• Site Banned Posts: 48 viewfromtheuk

It isnt. It is based on the fact that no country on earth has the health service capacity that a Covid19 spike could throw at it. Effecively no health service.

People giving out about the Irish health service in relation to this issue havent a clue what they are talking about.

Covid19 might need the North Korea approach, if believed the first victim was taken out and shot.
    No infected, no problem.
    The Chinese government has warned don't go near the Korean border as you will be shot DEAD by North Korean boarder guards.
    The southern border is impassable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

nocoverart wrote: »
    All of that is very true but what about when this eventually slows down? the Global community needs to come down hard on China! how many more pathogens this century before they even attempt to change their ways. What’s done is done but for the sake of future generations we shouldn’t and can’t tolerate outdated ways and negligence in a globalist society.

You do realize that by far the biggest killer of the last century probably originated in the good ol' USA.

The so called 'Spanish Flu' of 1918/19 which killed between 50 and 100 million people probably started in a pig farm in Kansas.

The 2009 'swine flu was first found in human beings in North America. Influenza is quite common in pigs, with about half of breeding pigs having been exposed to the virus in the USA.

It is estimated that in the 2009 flu pandemic 11–21% of the then global population (of about 6.8 billion), or around 700 million to 1.4 billion people, contracted the illness — more in absolute terms than the Spanish flu pandemic. There were about 150,000–575,000 fatalities.

The fact is that pathogens have been making the jump from animals to humans for millennia. It's just a matter of chance where that happens.

BTW...DNA and RNA sequencing suggests that measles, smallpox, influenza, HIV, and diphtheria came to humans this way. Various forms of the common cold and tuberculosis also are adaptations of strains originating in other species.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

fritzelly wrote: »
    Dr Ryan of the WHO isn't so sure

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112759847

There isn't even any hard evidence of what the immunity is like after recovering

I think what Dr. Ryan was getting at is there might be an expectation among some that the virus can be eradicated or that it will somehow see a huge drop in summer. He's suggesting that it will still be around the globe and still killing people - but that doesn't mean he thinks it will go in the other direction (global pandemic) either.

• Advertisement

I hope you are right and they are not lying through their teeth. I will be watching the stats in South Korea, Japan or Italy more closely then China because I just don't fully believe their reporting.

I don't think they are a transparent country. Maybe its true. If it is it's great news.

You cant believe the numbers coming from a communist dictatorship, Italy and South Korea are better indicators of the truth, and it does not look good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

saabsaab wrote: »
    Germans are tough. Hard to kill a German.

This is probably my favourite post so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Strazdas wrote: »
    I think what Dr. Ryan was getting at is there might be an expectation among some that the virus can be eradicated or that it will somehow see a huge drop in summer. He's suggesting that it will still be around the globe and still killing people - but that doesn't mean he thinks it will go in the other direction (global pandemic) either.

No, he was saying they don't know how this virus will go, maybe the summer will slow it down enough (hello Australia) and maybe it won't. There is no empirical evidence to look at this and think of it like the flu and come summer it will be grand, the common cold doesn't just thrive in the winter time

It just shows though why failing to get to grips with the problems in the health service is likely to leave us a lot more vulnerable than we should be. Ireland is a very rich country. It’s also one of the most democratic countries in the world.

We, as an electorate, have only very recently decided to make health a serious political issue and, for whatever reason, we’ve just allowed this mess to roll on and on for decades, never mind years.

There’s no conspiracy. We simply voted for people who were good at getting the local pothole filled instead of people who had a joined up policy and some kind of drive to solve big national issues like health.

So unfortunately, if the health service falls over under Coronavirus, this one is on us, or at least the large % of us who didn’t make this a political issue and just let a crisis roll on and on and on.

There’s no excuse other than this is what we voted for and this is what we stood for. It’s probably the most open democratic system on the planet. We could have done so much better had we used it.

With a bit of luck this Covid19 virus will not be devastating to Ireland, but God willing it will act as a wake up call to the population, dont vote for the likes of the Healy-Raes who will fix a pot hole, think in the national interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

You do realize that by far the biggest killers if the last century originated in the good ol' USA.

The so called 'Spanish Flu' of 1918/19 which killed between 50 and 100 million people probably started in a pig farm in Kansas.

The 2009 'swine flu was first found in human beings in North America. Influenza is quite common in pigs, with about half of breeding pigs having been exposed to the virus in the USA.

It is estimated that in the 2009 flu pandemic 11–21% of the then global population (of about 6.8 billion), or around 700 million to 1.4 billion people, contracted the illness — more in absolute terms than the Spanish flu pandemic. There were about 150,000–575,000 fatalities.

The fact is that pathogens have been making the jump from animals to humans for millennia. It's just a matter of chance where that happens.

BTW...DNA and RNA sequencing suggests that measles, smallpox, influenza, HIV, and diphtheria came to humans this way. Various forms of the common cold and tuberculosis also are adaptations of strains originating in other species.

This is the third pathogen directly coming from China this century that was preventable. I wasn’t around in 1918 so I don’t give a sh1t about the pig farm in Kansas... and I don’t think my vulnerable parents care about DNA and RNA. Science is Science but basic human practices should be standard and China lag way behind in that regard.

• Advertisement

What happens if we have to go into a lockdown situation and can't work?

Rent and bills still have to be paid.

The EU has ZERO problems turning on the printing presses and loading up the tax payers with debt to bail out the banks, but the EU is very quite about this Covid19.
    The simple fact is ANY PROBLEM CAN BE SOLVED BY THROWING MONEY AT IT.

Where is the EU now that Italy is is in serious trouble?
    France, Germany, Spain are a few days behind, where is the EU money?
    They throw money to the Banks and Refugees, but now EU citizens are hurting and where is the money for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

You realise that we are the EU right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

I wouldn’t get too cocky about blaming anyone for this. It could happen anywhere. Look closer to home with the BSE crisis that could very easily have turned into a major problem with the human version, vCJD (varient Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease) and that basically originated in the U.K. and potentially elsewhere in Europe because people were feeding cows, obligate herbivores, rendered bones and bits of of slaughtered animals sold as protein supplement bone meal.

Quite frankly, humans being a bit weird and bat soup, is in my view lower on the scale of bizarre than feeding cows cows which was like something akin to Soylent Green

I think many of us in the “West” should probably get off the moralising jingoistic soapbox on this one. It’s one of those things that’s happened and that’s all we can say.

Also 18.4% of the world’s population is in China and it’s extremely well connected and traveled to and from, so off course things are more likely to originate there than in a small country. That’s just basic probability maths!

The reality is we are immersed in potentially pathogenic viruses, bacteria and biology generally and crossovers like what has happened in this case are just part of existing in that system.

We’ve just been very lucky for the past few decades they there haven’t been very many pandemics impacting us. They’ve been relatively common throughout human history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The virus is here, nothing can be done about it now.

Somebody mentioned that our goal now is to slow down the spread of it in one go and not have a health system overloaded.

How do we slow it down? Surely it's more than hand washing?

Build barricades around the cities I suppose and have someone checking for wristbands, if the Covid-19 doesn't have a wristband for Galway, Cork, Limerick or Dublin or other major towns and villages it ain't getting in. ;):D:)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How are certain EU countries allowed limit by law the export of health protection products from their country to another EU country? So much for coming together.

What happens if we have to go into a lockdown situation and can't work?

Rent and bills still have to be paid.

Sure the EU and the do gooders have plenty of money to give to refugees, it wont be a problem to give money to EU citizens in their time of need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

If anything, people need to have a serious thought about their mortality. As someone who has seen family members prematurely die and friends die through suicide, people need to stop assuming that they can cruise through life well into their 70s and 80s and then just bow out. The world can be a cruel place and it owes you nothing. Pay attention to the warnings, wash your hands, limit contact with other people, and accept that this is going to be a major pain in the arse but that in all likelihood you and your loved ones will get through it.

This is the thing. A lot of people have never been in an ICU or even HDU. They don't have a concept of what it's like to be in there or what it's like to have someone you love depend on the work of the teams there.

I have the utmost respect for doctors and nurses. Nurses in particular need to be paid much better and have much better working conditions.

Before this crisis began, a majority of hospitals in this country were working under poor conditions where there were not enough staff, and so those who were there were asked to work more than they should have and are regularly called in on their days off etc.

I'm worried about how we can cope if frontline staff continue to be forced out of work for isolation etc. We simply don't have the backup. Nursing requires skills and experience to be effective. Calling in old, retired people is a recipe for disaster.

Never heard of bnonews.com before this corona outbreak, but i will be keeping a eye on them from now on, they are on the ball, well ahead of the usual news sources

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Diamond Princess
    Grand Princess
    And now Royal Princess

Wouldn't go on a cruise if you paid me right now

https://twitter.com/hashtag/royalprincess?src=hashtag_click

The EU has ZERO problems turning on the printing presses and loading up the tax payers with debt to bail out the banks, but the EU is very quite about this Covid19.
    The simple fact is ANY PROBLEM CAN BE SOLVED BY THROWING MONEY AT IT.

Where is the EU now that Italy is is in serious trouble?
    France, Germany, Spain are a few days behind, where is the EU money?
    They throw money to the Banks and Refugees, but now EU citizens are hurting and where is the money for them?

The EU and ECB are looking at doing a fairly big fiscal stimulus package to help with this. Discussions began about ten days ago on this at EU level. It’ll just take some time for all 27 members to agree and action to be taken.

You have to remember the EU is the collective will of 27 countries. It’s “us” and it doesn’t tend to act all by itself on big spend issues. It will have to get the views of all 27 members and come up with a joint plan.

Despite the mythology in the British press, the EU is about as far from a big scary centralised bureaucracy as you could get. It’s often slow moving because it’s about pooling decision making through negotiation and discussion, not taking power away from members.

Also the ECB can help with central banking tools but the EU itself doesn’t have a large budget to play with anyway. There isn’t a federal system in place. All it can really do is coordinate things and try to create a fund but that takes willingness by member states.

It’s not the US federal government nor is it anything like the tabloids imagine it to be.

• Advertisement

Build barricades around the cities I suppose and have someone checking for wristbands, if the Covid-19 doesn't have a wristband for Galway, Cork, Limerick or Dublin or other major towns and villages it ain't getting in. ;):D:)

You and your wristbands, I can tell you’re fearing EP will be cancelled already : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Unearthly

fritzelly wrote: »
    Diamond Princess
    Grand Princess
    And now Royal Princess

Wouldn't go on a cruise if you paid me right now

https://twitter.com/hashtag/royalprincess?src=hashtag_click

Richard Branson recently launched a luxury cruise. I'm sure somewhere in the world right now he is doing a facepalm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Unearthly

M

People might decide to self terminate if they live their lives around loved ones who are at a high risk level.

People might decide to self terminate if they live their lives around loved ones who are at a high risk level.

Self terminate? Let’s relax on the darkness please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

So another 19 hour day on the go here in the real world and nobody has even mentioned the virus.

Also the 2 supermarkets I visited today had lots of everything.

So, if I never saw this thread I would not worry.

The comparison with HIV is, to be quite honest, not very helpful. HIV is effectively a chronic illness that progresses very slowly and is, thankfully, now rather well managed

The chance of getting HIV is practically zero if you avoid intravenous drugs use and male to male anal sex.
    Covid19 can infect anyone at any time

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

We could all have this virus, we just don't know it. And that what scares me as I've spent last weekend with my folks who are on meds and do not have strong immune systems. I'm not worried for me but I am for them.

Yeah the panic buying story seems to be largely a US and Aussi phenomenon. I’m seeing no evidence of it here. We’re definitely running low on hand sanitiser and hand wash though, but I suspect that’s just a spike in demand for products that aren’t usually in high demand. I don’t see much evidence of panic buying, just a surge in demand.

• Advertisement
    M

So another 19 hour day on the go here in the real world and nobody has even mentioned the virus.

Also the 2 supermarkets I visited today had lots of everything.

So, if I never saw this thread I would not worry.

I visited 6 over the last 2 days. Toilet roll stocks fine but certainly a big reduction in what cheap long life canned goods were available.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement