Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 48 viewfromtheuk

ITman88 wrote: »
    I’m sorry what happened with your dad.
    We don’t know whatever what happened in China before or after the virus, the previous poster you quoted doesn’t either, what we need know is unity

Too hell with unity, we need to isolate, stay as far away from others as possible, no marches in solidarity for those infected with Covid19.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

I visited 6 over the last 2 days. Toilet roll stocks fine but certainly a big reduction in what cheap long life canned goods were available.

Possibly because nobody normally buys those things. There’ll typically be a few cans on the shelf and they have a shelf life that is so long they are more likely dusted than restocked.

So a few people decide to pick up Spam or whatever and all 3 cans are sold out.

Bear in mind a large supermarket could stock 90,000 product lines or more. Many of the obscure items are in very small volumes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think it will all blow over, like a comb over in the wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

I visited 6 over the last 2 days. Toilet roll stocks fine but certainly a big reduction in what cheap long life canned goods were available.

It’s like that this thread is the only section of Irish society that is really worried ?

So it looks like this thread is right and the other nearly 5 million are wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Xertz wrote: »
    Possibly because nobody normally buys those things. There’ll typically be a few cans on the shelf and they have a shelf life that is so long they are more likely dusted than restocked.

So a few people decide to pick up Spam or whatever and all 3 cans are sold out.

Never seen stocks of them that low. A supermarket will know normal sales, they won't out of the blue have to put those no stock stickers on for no other reason than panic buying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It’s like that this thread is the only section of Irish society that is really worried ?

So it looks like this thread is right and the other nearly 5 million are wrong?

Have a look for your essentials tomorrow :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

So another 19 hour day on the go here in the real world and nobody has even mentioned the virus.

Also the 2 supermarkets I visited today had lots of everything.

So, if I never saw this thread I would not worry.

I was in my local Tesco yesterday and could evidently see certain isles taking a hit on produce, and I don’t exactly live in a bustling city.

Never seen stocks of them that low. A supermarket will know normal sales, they won't out of the blue have to put those no stock stickers on for no other reason than panic buying.

Normal buying is probably very very low. They stock about 90,000 lines in a typical large a Tesco.

It’s likely that you’ve never seen them run that low because in normal times they rarely sell them.

When a product runs out, the computer in the shop prints a shelf edge label. In SuperValu, they use electronic shelf edge labels that update automatically.
    New stock would then be ordered in automatically, with a lead time. All that happens automatically, as the store knows exactly what it’s sold based on barcodes. There’s very little manual stock checking other than for verifying against loss through theft or errors.

If there’s very low turn over on a long shelf life item and a very small spike in demand it will empty the stock on the shelf. The labels are put out automatically as part of normal shelf management. Every item is in their database so, no matter how obscure it will have a label either printed or automatically displayed if it runs out.

They can forecast normal demand, but they can’t do that for spikes in demand for obscure lines and it really wouldn’t take much to clear a shelf of say 10 cans of something. There’s no stock kept on stockrooms locally for those kinds of things. If it’s in stock it’s on the shelf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

• Advertisement

Are we about -2 on the x axis here?

expgrapha.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Are we about -2 on the x axis here?

expgrapha.jpg

why -2?

What does lockdown mean?

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-italy-to-tell-people-not-to-enter-or-leave-regions-worst-hit-by-outbreak-11952487

The decree instructs citizens to "absolutely avoid" either entering or leaving the areas listed, and even to avoid moving around other than for emergencies or "essential work reasons" within the designated areas.

why -2?

Real world interpolation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Unearthly

As per BBC

What are the measures?
    Night clubs, gyms, swimming pools, museums and ski resorts will be closed.

Restaurants and cafes can open but customers must sit at least a metre apart.

People will be told to stay home as much as possible, and those who break the quarantine could face three months in jail.

Sports competitions will close to the public, and the president of Italy's football players' union has called for all matches to be postponed.

owlbethere wrote: »
    I think worse case scenario might be world war conditions. Hopefully no war or fighting but social unrest??? I don't know what that will lead to. Nobody gets paid during a war.

Greece and Turkey are close to war
    Erdogan is pushing Islamic refugees to the Geek border
    Greece and EU has said we will take no refugees
    Greece has authorised live ammunition to br fired
    Greece has called up army reserves
    Greece has said it will DRAFT men to fight "invasion"
    Poland,Slovakia,Hungary have sent soldiers to Greece to "secure the border against the muslim invasion."
    A lot is going on in the world that is being hidden by the Covid19 out break.
    For God sake Israeli and Palestinian politicians are agreeing to LOCK DOWN Bethlehem!!!!!!!!!

I want a football match with restaurant rules. Every player at least one metre apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I think it will all blow over, like a comb over in the wind.
    Physically do everything you can that there’s a sh1t storm ahead, but yes, my gut feeling is it will be A OK and let the mind know that. Hysteria and Anxiety can be the real problems.

Greece and Turkey are close to war
    Erdogan is pushing Islamic refugees to the Geek border
    Greece and EU has said we will take no refugees
    Greece has authorised live ammunition to br fired
    Greece has called up army reserves
    Greece has said it will DRAFT men to fight "invasion"
    Poland,Slovakia,Hungary have sent soldiers to Greece to "secure the border against the muslim invasion."
    A lot is going on in the world that is being hidden by the Covid19 out break.
    For God sake Israeli and Palestinian politicians are agreeing to LOCK DOWN Bethlehem!!!!!!!!!

forgot https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/mar/08/russian-jets-heading-to-uk-airspace-intercepted-by-raf-typhoons

• Advertisement

Xertz wrote: »
    Well that’s fairly unlikely, particularly here in Ireland. We tend to pull together in a crisis and need very little state or systemic involvement.

I would be more worried about things like that in various tinderbox American cities that are only a few steps away from looting anytime the police are perceived to be weak.

I somehow don’t think Ireland would suddenly turn into Lord of the Flies or something out of a Hollywood’s post apocalypse genre. We function pretty well with very little in the way of heavy policing or heavy state involvement at all. It’s a pretty tranquil and chilled out country by any standards.

I doubt the "coloured" folk living in Ireland feel the same.
    SHTF in Ireland i would not like to be "New Irish".

saabsaab wrote: »
    Germans are tough. Hard to kill a German.

Unless you are a Russian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

NH2013 wrote: »
    Should we close all shops and businesses tomorrow, ground all flights, stop all schools and colleges, no cars/buses/trains, no GAA training, no public gatherings, everyone stay in their houses in order to make sure we don't spread it to other countries?
    Yes, Yes Yes!
    The EU can print unlimited money to bail out banks, why not print money to save the lives of EU citizens?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

So, if I never saw this thread I would not worry.

I have to admit, as much as I appreciate people giving their opinions and relaying information, I need to take a deep breath (while I still can) before I open this thread.

I'm not exaggerating, this thread is exacerbating all my anxiety and distresses me but I'd rather hear this than people telling me if I wash my hands I'll be ok.

Rock and a hard place really. I want to be happy for my other half, but I don't want to bury my head in the sand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Yes, Yes Yes!
    The EU can print unlimited money to bail out banks, why not print money to save the lives of EU citizens?

Because countries wouldn't be able to pay it back. It's value Vs all other currencies would plummet. A knock on effect would destroy the global economy.

Ironicname wrote: »
    I have to admit, as much as I appreciate people giving their opinions and relaying information, I need to take a deep breath (while I still can) before I open this thread.

I'm not exaggerating, this thread is exacerbating all my anxiety and distresses me but I'd rather hear this than people telling me if I wash my hands I'll be ok.

Rock and a hard place really. I want to be happy for my other half, but I don't want to bury my head in the sand.

Honestly, you’ll be fine! Just taken reasonable precautions. That’s all anyone can do. It’s still FAR more dangerous to cross a road or drive a car than the risk of being wiped out by this virus.

A bit of healthy concern is good but don’t get too frightened either.

We will deal with it and in the not too distant future it’ll be a Reeling in the Years episode full of people in bizarre looking 2020s ugly fashion arguing over bog roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Ironicname wrote: »

David and Sally Abel are an english couple. They are beautiful and so kind with what they are doing. They documented their journey with Corona from ship to Japanese hospital. They are looking very very well. Check them out on YouTube.

Edit to add: follow the guidelines that's been hammered out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Xertz wrote:
    A bit of healthy concern is good but don’t get too frightened either.

Thank you.
    Xertz wrote:
    We will deal with it and in the not too distant future it’ll be a Reeling in the Years episode full of people in bizarre looking 2020s ugly fashion arguing over bog roll.

Let's hope so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The EU has ZERO problems turning on the printing presses and loading up the tax payers with debt to bail out the banks, but the EU is very quite about this Covid19.
    The simple fact is ANY PROBLEM CAN BE SOLVED BY THROWING MONEY AT IT.

Where is the EU now that Italy is is in serious trouble?
    France, Germany, Spain are a few days behind, where is the EU money?
    They throw money to the Banks and Refugees, but now EU citizens are hurting and where is the money for them?

Ah here. Did you even bother to do any research?

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/qanda_20_307

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_20_316

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/health/coronavirus-response_en

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement