Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Drumpot wrote: »
    I don’t have credible link (watched some source last night that I can’t verify) but one strain is supposedly worse then the other and you can get both. This would possibly explain why people are getting re-infected. Maybe somebody else here can clear this up?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoytko/2020/03/04/discovery-of-2-strains-of-covid-19-coronavirus-hints-at-how-it-evolved/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Sorry if it's been posted before but Germany has 100 new cases, 350 now, cases are doubling every day

Europe will very soon be in the exact same situation as China was, theres no reason to believe it is going to stop anytime soon..with the one of the highest population densities and oldest populations it could be pretty devastating for central european nations

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    it's still going down a little bit every day, it' won't down to 2% as people said at the beginning of the outbreak

What though as megabomberman suggests above, that asymptomatic carriers aren't being recorded in countries where many symptomatic cases are noted. Wouldn't this mean that this rate is inaccurate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Love it to go down alot more, especially when you compare it to current flu mortality rates (0.1%).

Its going down :)

You have to remember on 2nd of Feb it was 41.80% and every day its going down. Active case closures can take 4 to 6 weeks and there are alot of tests to do until you get a closed case. I would actually say there is most likely a backlog to receiving your all clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭Christy42

it's still going down a little bit every day, it' won't down to 2% as people said at the beginning of the outbreak

I reckon it could go down a lot if they ever get the space for serious widespread testing (anywhere).

I mean how many people are just treating this like a small cold and getting on with life without thinking about it. People getting tested at the moment are obviously sicker people and so are more likely to die. Of course maybe there is a similar effect with the flu numbers I am not sure of those studies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Roger_007 wrote: »
    How is it possible to calculate a death rate when the numbers infected is unknown?
    If we are to believe official figures, the rate of infection in northern Italy is about 1 in 10,000 of the population, yet tourists/visitors to there from 20 other countries seem to have casually picked it up. The infection rate has to exponentially higher there than the reported number of diagnosed cases.
    Something doesn’t make sense here?

It's not possible, that number is purely for closed cases and as you rightly point out, it's likely that the infection rate is higher than the figures show due to undiagnosed milder cases.

I don't see how a steadily falling death rate in closed cases can be spun as a bad thing, to be honest. It was up around 20% a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Cases are on the rise again in China. Current reinfection rate is 14%

They call it reinfection, but it's relapse. People get discharged from hospitals as soon as they test negative. Tests aren't 100% accurate, some discharged started developing the infection again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Fog? Or is it "The Mist"?

Coronas in the mist

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Very grim.

Last night I painted my gate. This morning I found it was still wet.

Rain is forecast.

Thoughts and prayers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Drumpot wrote: »
    I don’t have credible link (watched some source last night that I can’t verify) but one strain is supposedly worse then the other and you can get both. This would possibly explain why people are getting re-infected. Maybe somebody else here can clear this up?

The WHO-China Joint Mission report says no evidence of significant mutation.
    Whole genome sequencing analysis of 104 strains of the COVID-19 virus isolated from patients in different localities with symptom onset between the end of December 2019 and mid-February 2020 showed 99.9% homology, without significant mutation.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

Roger_007 wrote: »
    How is it possible to calculate a death rate when the numbers infected is unknown?
    If we are to believe official figures, the rate of infection in northern Italy is about 1 in 10,000 of the population, yet tourists/visitors to there from 20 other countries seem to have casually picked it up. The infection rate has to exponentially higher there than the reported number of diagnosed cases.
    Something doesn’t make sense here?

Its based on Closed cases. Not active cases.

You either recovered or you died.

Think of it as outcomes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Glad that’s done.
    I’ll accept apologies in the form of Venmo :)

Maybe some people should really think about what they don’t know before flying off the handle calling people liars without any evidence other than a typical case of internet cynicism. Which boards seems to be badly infected with.
    Ticks :)

This is not an AMA but will write a bit about the whole experience and post it later mods willing.

Talk soon.

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Coronas in the mist

Makes me think could other primates get the virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭PIORUN

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Hope the virus doesn’t multiply like this thread.
    Hey ....you stole that from me in part 3 ! but in fairness its propably been said 100 times before that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Some good news at last.

The Coronas are currently touring

in Dubai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

So how many threads will we have on this? I’m going to go with 50+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

They call it reinfection, but it's relapse. People get discharged from hospitals as soon as they test negative. Tests aren't 100% accurate, some discharged started developing the infection again

So some discharged develop the infection again but it’s not reinfection it’s relapse?

Good to know...I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Christy42 wrote: »
    I reckon it could go down a lot if they ever get the space for serious widespread testing (anywhere).

I mean how many people are just treating this like a small cold and getting on with life without thinking about it. People getting tested at the moment are obviously sicker people and so are more likely to die. Of course maybe there is a similar effect with the flu numbers I am not sure of those studies.

As you said, these is margin for error with other diseases. How many people don't go to hospital with flue symptoms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Cases are on the rise again in China. Current reinfection rate is 14%

"reinfection rate"? not mentioned once in both those pieces

your desire for this to be come a world wide calamity is troubling, father

pDzoMYd.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Anyone else hear that those four are in the regional, Limerick?

Is this sufficient excuse not to go to a wedding tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Sigma101

hearing about 2 strains, seems the Wuhan strain was stronger - would explain the higher death rate there, lets hope it's the weaker strain in Europe.,

Yup, Chinese scientists published a paper about it a couple of days ago. The paper's here (not easy to read unless you're really into this kind of stuff).
    https://academic.oup.com/nsr/advance-article/doi/10.1093/nsr/nwaa036/5775463

As the virus has already mutated there is less hope for a speedy development of a suitable vaccine.

Runaways wrote: »
    Glad that’s done.

Maybe some people should really think about what they don’t know before flying off the handle calling people liars without any evidence other than a typical case of internet cynicism. Which boards seems to be badly infected with.

This is not an AMA but will write a bit about the whole experience and post it later mods willing.

Talk soon.

Did you get a diagnosis?

woejus wrote: »
    "reinfection rate"? not mentioned once in both those pieces

your desire for this to be come a world wide calamity is troubling, father

pDzoMYd.gif

Do you remember the Drumshanbo Massacre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

mlem123 wrote: »
    But they are testing contacts?

In the case of anyone infected but who do not meet the HSE criteria for testing - which are
    in close contact with a confirmed case of coronavirus

Or

been in a place where there is spread of coronavirus

- then no - they are not testing 'contacts'

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Runaways wrote: »
    Glad that’s done.

Talk soon.

I don't think anyone doubted that you weren't in hospital (Well i didn't anyway) after another poster was giving updates.
    But most knew or thought you weren't in there for covid 19 which is what the whole topic was around.

Glad to hear your on the mend, and actually looking forward to reading about how an isolation situation goes in the HSE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

Three new cases in Scotland takes UK total to 90

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Makes me think could other primates get the virus?

Are primates subsceptible to other human viruses?

Be interesting to know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Fog? Or is it "The Mist"?

Either way it doesn't look good. Students walking around the campus like zombies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement