Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,573 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Darc19 wrote: »
    I don't understand the scaremongering about the parades.

It's not as if 200,000 people are all in a single stadium. (I never believe the exaggerated 500,000+ figures)

They are spread over a very large area.

Why not close grafton street.

Now local parade organizers are being pressured by the know alls to cancel.

These have small gatherings no more than 2 or 3 deep.

Utterly overhyped with little rational thinking going on.

Have you ever been in the city centre on St Patrick's Day?

To cross Grafton Street (I don't mean walk down it I mean literally cross it) on a normal day would take about 15 seconds. On At Patrick's Day this can take about 2 minutes. Why? Because it is rammed solid with people. Unfortunately it's a large volume of people spread out over a large everywhere. There are people covering every foot of ground in the city. If someone has Covid19, thousands could end up with it very easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭circadian

McGiver wrote: »
    All,

Can you please write to your councillors and TDs and complain that the attitude of HSE and media is simply unacceptable?

The intentional obscurity in reporting where new cases are located and total lack of transparency from the government and the HSE is disgraceful, it simply cannot happen in developed western European country. Most other European countries do not behave this way and report cases in detail.

We need to bombard them with emails and demand transparency.

Lack of transparency is one of the root causes of corruption and poor governance in this country. The more transparency there is the more inconvenient and difficult is to do corruption and the more easier is to hold the government accountable as well. Transparency is essential in properly functioning democratic governance to enable good outcomes.

Thank you all.

Phone them. Constantly, call their offices. Emails will simply be ignored and given what we're dealing with protests seem to be very counter productive so the government has that to hide behind. Literally anything else and people mobilising on the streets would put pressure on them but clearly not a good idea in this case.

If you're worries about the direction we're heading call your TDs, all of them, regardless of vote and do it regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

It's not as if 200,000 people are all in a single stadium. (I never believe the exaggerated 500,000+ figures)

There is little rational thinking going on in the mind of anyone who thinks we should hold the parades and festivities in Dublin.

If it's for solely financial reasons i.e tourism cash cow then that is a very short term outlook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Neither do our authority’s.

Remember to not be near the same crowd for 15 minutes while watching the parade. And if somebody sneezes or cough to be 1-2 meters away from them. Social distancing has also been recommended in most countries. If you are in bars where people get drunk and start to hug, kiss, get sloppy, remember to avoid them as well while you maintain your own faculty’s.

A parade is the exact opposite for people to be able to do most of the recommended things to slow down a spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

I can explain it to you. There will be a tight squeeze, especially in Dublin. 1 person will have at least 20 in their immediate vicinity, not to mention numbers they will pass by when going to and from the parade and to a pub. 1 carrier can infect 100s, who will then infect further 2-3 people over the following 2 weeks, who will infect 2-3 and so on. I will leave the maths to you. I think it is an irresponsible decision fueled by pure greed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

One other thing I hadn’t thought about for Patrick’s day and it was mentioned on the radio yesterday. Is that all the drinking/drugs/fights etc caused byblarge public gatherings puts huge strain on the A&E departments just what we need. Like ffs what are the government doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

People calm down.

All this talk of we are 2 weeks behind italy. But that's 2 weeks of greater knowledge on how to contain it. The Italians dropped the ball at the start like china. Ireland seems to be doing ok.

Also everyone blaming the government but as far as I can see its following WHO guidelines.

1. Banning flights isnt recommend.
    2. Testing at airports doesn't work. Purely because a person could have it but may not be detectable for 2 weeks. No temperature check will show that.
    3. Educate people about symptoms and what to do.

All these people demanding the country should be shut down would be the same people complaining if the government did do it. Thay would complain it was unnecessary and I cant work, I have no pay. I cant go out. Why I locked down in donegal because some fella in cork has it. I cant go to my sister wedding. Moan moan moan.

19 or 20 people have it out of a population of 5 million people. We can't shut down the country for that.

All these people demanding to be tested because that a work colleague who was in touch with someone who might have it because he coughed at work and tgdrumours were he was in italy.

The rumours and lies posted on social media and WhatsApp groups is feuelling this.

These are medical professionals who know more about the spread of viruses than you do. Or more than what you read on google or boards.

Self isolation is the way to go. Get the message out. Isolation of confimed cases in hospital too.

Keep washing your hands properly and calm down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Have you ever been in Dublin city centre on St Patrick's Day? People are absolutely on top of each other. Especially at the barriers to see the parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

This post shows how badly the Italians are handling this issue. If this post is true then the Italians have a death rate of 4.25%. However the South Koreans have a death rate of less than 0.6%.

The difference is the South Koreans are testing far more people. Therefore the reason the Italian death rate is so high is that thousands of people have the illness, are not being tested and are spreading it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Drumpot wrote: »
    A parade is the exact opposite for people to be able to do most of the recommended things to slow down a spread.

Yes. And if you think a parade is bad, think of hoards of drunk people in the city center going from one crowded pub to another for the whole afternoon and evening. Are they more likely keep a one meter distance and beware of how they sneeze, or to be in super close proximity and spit droplets at each other as they party and speak loudly? I wonder :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Just found this on adverts...

https://www.adverts.ie/healthcare/irish-sourced-hand-sanitizer-in-pouch/19963922

I suppose you could call it enterprising. People are actually paying the outrageous asking price too.

Sorry thats disgusting
    Saw facemasks in a local chemist at 3euros for 1 individual mask (the light surgical masks)
    The retailer was pretty disgusted to be selling them and said wholesaler suppliers increased price 3 fold
    I asked were those masks 1 use only, he advised they were useless.. kinda under his breath. Are they 1 use only?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Drumpot wrote: »
    Remember to not be near the same crowd for 15 minutes while watching the parade.

This 15 minute thing is a bit bizarre, it's just like the 5 second rule for buttered toast falling on the floor!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I cant believe the amount of people that can't spell a 3 letter word! FLU!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Won't be buying another FIAT ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,882 ✭✭✭✭zell12

BOGOF on cruises
    RcaKaBo.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

McGiver wrote: »
    All,

Can you please write to your councillors and TDs and complain that the attitude of HSE and media is simply unacceptable?

The intentional obscurity in reporting where new cases are located and total lack of transparency from the government and the HSE is disgraceful, it simply cannot happen in developed western European country. Most other European countries do not behave this way and report cases in detail.

We need to bombard them with emails and demand transparency.

Lack of transparency is one of the root causes of corruption and poor governance in this country. The more transparency there is the more inconvenient and difficult is to do corruption and the more easier is to hold the government accountable as well. Transparency is essential in properly functioning democratic governance to enable good outcomes.

Thank you all.

The thing is we don’t even have a properly functioning gov. at the moment in the sense of them being caretakers. Could they even enact emergency legislation to deal with Covid 19 as UK have plans to do.
    But agree that we should not be kept in the dark about where the Covid cases are. Other countries are releasing these details to prevent spread while we get treated like school children.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Yeah....probably riddled....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

No more Chinese takeaways either :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Maybe theres a quiet majority that doesnt like going, dont want to go but have to because they have kids. Spare a thought for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

DOCARCH wrote: »
    This 15 minute thing is a bit bizarre, it's just like the 5 second rule for buttered toast falling on the floor!

Surprised they didn’t flesh it out to be ok to be near someone for 120 minutes so they could justify leaving major events to proceed.

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    The Italians dropped the ball at the start like china. Ireland seems to be doing ok.

We are about to drop the ball by allowing massive festivals to go ahead. Exactly what Wuhan govt did. I understand that the rich friends of govt have invested huge money in organising the games for the pleb and all they want is to secure their wealth but we should show them the middle finger and just not show up. I feel sorry for the marching bands though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

The St Patrick's Day parade, if it does cause a large spike in cases will be the complete ruin of FG.

We live close to Limerick and the wife, a healthcare professional, and I said we're going to avoid places like the Crescent shipping centre unless we have something specific to do there. I.e. avoid the Limerick pastime of wandering aimlessly around there.

Time to not panic but take some sensible steps.

Might as well make the most of it. Going to put the christmas tree up, stock up on Heroes and Rose's and download a truck load of movies to watch.

laurah591 wrote: »
    Sorry thats disgusting
    Saw facemasks in a local chemist at 3euros for 1 individual mask (the light surgical masks)
    The retailer was pretty disgusted to be selling them and said wholesaler suppliers increased price 3 fold
    I asked were those masks 1 use only, he advised they were useless.. kinda under his breath. Are they 1 use only?

Greed at it's best. If they carry on this way the pitchfork mob will knock their door one day. It is coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Was anyone in the big smoke yesterday? Many Italians?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

citysights wrote: »
    The thing is we don’t even have a properly functioning gov. at the moment in the sense of them being caretakers. Could they even enact emergency legislation to deal with Covid 19 as UK have plans to do.
    But agree that we should not be kept in the dark about where the Covid cases are. Other countries are releasing these details to prevent spread while we get treated like school children.
    We do have a perfectly functional government.

Other countries are not releasing precise information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

citysights wrote: »

We dont get a new bunch of staff at the dept of health or HSE when we change government. It's these departments that are managing this and informing the TDs.
    That's what govt do take advice from the experts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I see you bought a Honda too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

The WHO should publish the steps Turkey have taken to prevent the virus entering their country. They re doing an excellent job so far.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Whatever about Patrick’s week you can probably safely assume a great many people who were planning to come here for the week just won’t take the risk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement