Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Was anyone in the big smoke yesterday? Many Italians?

We will never know as anybody who saw an Italian is now either in intensive care or dead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Darc19 wrote: »
    We do have a perfectly functional government.

Other countries are not releasing precise information.

Are you saying "man from the East" is precise information?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

cnocbui wrote: »
    I see you bought a Honda too.

Thanked from my Chinese assembled iPhone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

There was a doctor on CNN Chris Cuomo other day, he said a Cat Scan could instantly find those infected far quicker that the current testing can.
    a simple scan will show it up.

CT scans aren’t something that should be done willy nilly as they give a small dose of radiation, not to mention that each machine can only do maybe 4 or 5 an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The WHO should publish the steps Turkey have taken to prevent the virus entering their country. They re doing an excellent job so far.

They must be lying or not testing like every other country that's keeping numbers down. :sarcasm:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

laurah591 wrote: »
    Sorry thats disgusting
    Saw facemasks in a local chemist at 3euros for 1 individual mask (the light surgical masks)
    The retailer was pretty disgusted to be selling them and said wholesaler suppliers increased price 3 fold
    I asked were those masks 1 use only, he advised they were useless.. kinda under his breath. Are they 1 use only?

If you report the ad they will likely remove it. At this level it is borderline extortion and I don’t think they want something like this on their platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭sudzs

Maybe theres a quiet majority that doesnt like going, dont want to go but have to because they have kids. Spare a thought for them

Or they could be the adults they're supposed to be and explain to the kids why they are not going to the parade this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

DOCARCH wrote: »
    We will never know as anybody who saw an Italian is now either in intensive care or dead!

Theyre a violent bunch those Italian rugby supporters?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The WHO should publish the steps Turkey have taken to prevent the virus entering their country. They re doing an excellent job so far.

I presume that's tongue in cheek?

No tests = no cases = no problem. #presidentforlife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭circadian

Was anyone in the big smoke yesterday? Many Italians?

Noticed a large amount on Friday on my way to and from work. I was on a 16 I'm the way in and the bus was full of Italians, not sure what flight they were off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭celt262

Runaways wrote: »
    Whatever about Patrick’s week you can probably safely assume a great many people who were planning to come here for the week just won’t take the risk.

Dont think so. Sure it will be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Sorry thats disgusting
    Saw facemasks in a local chemist at 3euros for 1 individual mask (the light surgical masks)
    The retailer was pretty disgusted to be selling them and said wholesaler suppliers increased price 3 fold
    I asked were those masks 1 use only, he advised they were useless.. kinda under his breath. Are they 1 use only?

I saw the same in a small Chemist in Limerick, in an area where a lot of older people live. Same type of 1 off mask. 4.99!! Terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

gabeeg wrote: »
    Are you saying "man from the East" is precise information?

What difference does it make if you knew he was from say navan.

Do you want his address as well. Maybe he self isolated on hs return from italy and wasn't a danger to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Just found this on adverts...

https://www.adverts.ie/healthcare/ir...pouch/19963922

I suppose you could call it enterprising. People are actually paying the outrageous asking price too.

Sorry thats disgusting
    Bob24 wrote: »
    If you report the ad they will likely remove it. At this level it is borderline extortion and I don’t they want something like this on their platform.

Folks its called humour! Amazing the amount of people who can't detect it these days unless it is backed up with emojis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

pc7 wrote: »
    We just have to hope the Italian decision wakes other countries like ours up and now. Act now. Slow this bloody thing down before it gets to a stage where our health services are overwhelmed. Also that people start being more aware of their hygiene.
    This what annoys me so much about our authorities response and plans.
    They cancelled a rugby game but do nothing to prevent the thousands of Italy fans from travelling to Dublin - what actual sense does that make?

No ban on flights to and from Italy - Europe's #1 vector for the virus - at minimum no checking on people who have been there or indeed elsewhere when they arrive back here despite the whole idea being to slow down the inevitable spread of the virus to Ireland.
    Yes, we could never escape it eventually emerging here, but we could have slowed down its arrival - after all, that's what they said the fcking plan was.

PS I swear if somebody comes back with 'but anyone can catch a flight from xxx yyy instead of from/to Italy' I'll eat my knuckles.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,690 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

irishgeo wrote: »
    People calm down.

All this talk of we are 2 weeks behind italy. But that's 2 weeks of greater knowledge on how to contain it. The Italians dropped the ball at the start like china. Ireland seems to be doing ok.

Also everyone blaming the government but as far as I can see its following WHO guidelines.

1. Banning flights isnt recommend.
    2. Testing at airports doesn't work. Purely because a person could have it but may not be detectable for 2 weeks. No temperature check will show that.
    3. Educate people about symptoms and what to do.

All these people demanding the country should be shut down would be the same people complaining if the government did do it. Thay would complain it was unnecessary and I cant work, I have no pay. I cant go out. Why I locked down in donegal because some fella in cork has it. I cant go to my sister wedding. Moan moan moan.

19 or 20 people have it out of a population of 5 million people. We can't shut down the country for that.

All these people demanding to be tested because that a work colleague who was in touch with someone who might have it because he coughed at work and tgdrumours were he was in italy.

The rumours and lies posted on social media and WhatsApp groups is feuelling this.

These are medical professionals who know more about the spread of viruses than you do. Or more than what you read on google or boards.

Self isolation is the way to go. Get the message out. Isolation of confimed cases in hospital too.

Keep washing your hands properly and calm down.

A fine post. Non hysterical, well informed and educated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

antodeco wrote: »
    Have you ever been in the city centre on St Patrick's Day?

To cross Grafton Street (I don't mean walk down it I mean literally cross it) on a normal day would take about 15 seconds. On At Patrick's Day this can take about 2 minutes. Why? Because it is rammed solid with people. Unfortunately it's a large volume of people spread out over a large everywhere. There are people covering every foot of ground in the city. If someone has Covid19, thousands could end up with it very easily

Seriously though, if they ban the parade, OK, many of the locals might stay at home, but the only place for the tourists to go is into crowded pubs, where you can be sure there will be contact, lots of it.

sideswipe wrote: »
    Folks its called humour! Amazing the amount of people who can't detect it these days unless it is backed up with emojis.

Are you 100% sure? That was my expectation first, but then I realised it is an actual profile of someone who has a normal selling history. If this is humour he’s not very smart to do it with his regular profile as it might get him banned or get him bad feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

spurious wrote: »
    Seriously though, if they ban the parade, OK, many of the locals might stay at home, but the only place for the tourists to go is into crowded pubs, where you can be sure there will be contact, lots of it.

Cancelled or not, itll be interesting to see the nimbers of tourists that actually come to Ireland for the few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Are you 100% sure? That was my expectation first, but then I realised it is an actual profile of someone who has a normal selling history. If this is humour he’s not very smart to do it with his regular profile as it might get him banned and get him bad feedback.

The comments, both from the seller and and everybody else was pure parody, anyway it's been removed now so I guess the joke wasn't funny.

• Advertisement

Are you 100% sure? That was my expectation first, but then I realised it is an actual profile of someone who has a normal selling history. If this is humour he’s not very smart to do it with his regular profile as it might get him banned or get him bad feedback.

And the ad is now gone, I assume adverts.ie doesn’t understand humour either :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Comic Con in the city next weekend, they're going ahead with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

6 wrote: »
    A fine post. Non hysterical, well informed and educated.

Non hysterical common sense posts are not wanted by most people here.

They want death deaths and more death so that they can say "I told you so"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

That's not what it says, it also gives no source to the numbers.
    Before each number it says 'at least', so when it says that of 197 deaths, at least 49 were aged 62 - 95, my reading of that is that we don't know what age the remainder were.

Also, people mentioning the death rate in Italy v South Korea should bear in mind the differences in demographics in the two countries and that in South Korea, the presumed main source was a meeting of a religious group populated by mainly young people, whereas in Italy, unnoticed community transmission for several weeks led to people being hospitalised with the virus, but not isolated, which led to cases in hospitals where those infected already had underlying conditions. Imo Italy has been extremely unlucky with this.
    The Korean testing rates may also be a factor, but the mortality rate isn't as important as the absolute number in terms of deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

South Korea has reported its lowest daily increase in more than a week of 279 cases which is positive . That said it is the weekend so let's wait for Mondays figures before seeing if they have reached a turning point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

tbayers wrote: »
    Florida has loads of cases atm, so the temperature argument is mute. High 20's there recently.
    The majority of cases in Florida appear to be the result of retirees taking foreign trips. A cruise on the Nile River in February accounted for 5 of the cases, including 1 death. 5 more cases are from a group that returned from a trip to China. There is no evidence yet that the virus is spreading within the local population.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Finished watching a few videos on YouTube, husbands and wifes on the diamond princess, only one of them positive. Surely you would expect both to be positive but nope only one.

So I don't understand how one is and isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Sorry, I'm sure its been asked, but does the new Italian lockdowns include international flights out of the region? Or are they still operating as normal...?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Finished watching a few videos on YouTube, husbands and wifes on the diamond princess, only one of them positive. Surely you would expect both to be positive but nope only one.

So I don't understand how one is and isn't.

One has been playing away from home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I can't keep up with the thread - was the seventh Diamond Princess death a day ago mentioned?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement