Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

silverharp wrote: »
    taxis didn't give her a ride because she is Italian? or are they asking to see passports now? :D

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dx2IfiqWwAAVc-8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

spurious wrote: »
    Most Cruise ships are kept very clean though, because of the ever present Norovirus threats, regardless of the coronavirus. Non stop the staff are cleaning railings, walls, anything people might be touching. If anything it shows good hygiene has a lot to do with battling this.

And your evidence that staff cleaning railings stops spread of the virus is .......?

Anyway it didn't stop spread. Almost 700 people on the ship contracted the virus. The point is that of those who got the virus only 1% died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

1) I would like to congratulate South Korea on their drive through testing stations and good disease control. You clever efficient people.

2) I would like to congratulate everyone else on their secret super power for spotting Italians. I know a good few, and they look quite different from each other, some like Greeks, or Croatians, or Spanish, or Bulgarians etc etc. Persian even. South Americans. But people can definitively pick out Italians at 100 paces away on Grafton Street now. Impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

19 that we know of. There's way more people walking around with it and not knowing.

This point seems to be lost on the "only 19 cases we are grand crowd".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

The only difference between Italy and the rest of Europe is we are behind a couple of weeks.

And even less for some countries.
    Predictions are a hard game but I’d say by the end of next weekend France will start doing similar things to what Italy did last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,746 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think we can probably say that Italy has screwed up, nowhere else has the same very rapid rise in cases.

France had 350 new cases yesterday.

Germany nearly 400

Spain 98

Largest daily increases by far so far. All the graphs look exactly the same. No difference between Italy and the rest.

I'll post them later.

Now is the time for us to take action like Italy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I would agree. I think it's out there already much more than people think. Cork is a small place and it would spread easily. The Government has been poor but Michèal dithering about talks isn't helping. Meet again in a week or so sums him up and pbly sums up the lack of urgency in government. Should they not be meeting every waking hour to get a government formed??!! Shame on them.

They should but this is more of the "sure everything will be grand" mentality that far too many people in this country have including politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

US2 wrote: »
    Hearing of multiple cases in the east of the country, Drogheda.
    Would that be via Reddit, Twitter, a bloke down the pub, your granny's fifth cousin or a credible official source? Think we heard yesterday that UCG was rife with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

I think we can probably say that Italy has screwed up, nowhere else has the same very rapid rise in cases.

France is catching up fast 230+ new cases yesterday. Germany with 163. Give it a week and we'll be talking about them as much as Italy

https://news.qq.com/zt2020/page/feiyan.htm?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf#/global

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Y'all ready for Drogheda to make the news?

Apparently there's 4 suspected cases in the hospital at the moment.

Where did you hear that? Has to of been a medical source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

1641 wrote: »
    It is a bit apples and oranges,though. Macau has roughly just over half the population of greater Dublin (700,000) and a population density of 21,340 per kilometre. Dublin's density is not much more that 1/10 of that -4,588 per km. And that is not to include the rest of this country.

Apples and oranges are both a type of fruit, Macausians(i just made that up) and the Irish are both humans. Its the thought that counts as it were of trying to do something for gods sake.

Economically though, cancelling the parade wouldnt be as drastic as closing macau for 2 weeks.

Do you want the parade to go ahead? I wont be going anyway near a crowd for the foreseeable future.

• Site Banned Posts: 38 ChurchtownMan

Bob24 wrote: »
    I think this thread shows that slowly more people are understanding that it is not a minor issue though.

There are still a few but you don’t see as many “the common flue kills many more people than Covid 19 each year” type of comments anymore.

True that. While having to repeat myself, less than 48 hours ago, people were accusing me of trolling when elucidating some of the harsher truths that today are front page of the papers, or a shutdown of an modern country many of us know that is triple the size of Ireland in population and economy.

Someone posted a while back a link on Normalcy Bias. This has been the strong force preventing many from understanding the magnitude of what faces the world. No one posting here has had to deal with anything of its like, in motality, overrun of public services, or economic destruction, that faces the world. Not many here have true recollections of the world wars, the Spanish flue, let alone the black death. Yet they happened. The reluctance to acknowledge events of such magnitude can truly happen is clouding people's views.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Last week, every health professional I heard, who were asked, said St. Patrick's Day parades should be postponed.

I think Fianna Fáil was the only party, two weeks ago, who said that travel to northern Italy should be prohibited

“Regarding the situation for schools travelling to affected zones, I believe the Government should now issue a directive that such travel should not happen. While many parents and schools are individually cancelling travel, it would be useful for clear and unified action on this topic.”
    fiannafail.ie/statement-from-fianna-fail-spokesperson-on-health-following-briefing-on-the-coronavirus/

It is a pity that that was not adhered to.

However we know that if Fine Gael had done so that the response would have been that this was hysterical scare mongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just read a good BBC article about what we can learn from Spanish flu.
    https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200302-coronavirus-what-can-we-learn-from-the-spanish-flu

Great article, A while back I posted re a village in the UK way back in plague times. Eyam , in Derbyshire. When the Plague hit in the 1660s, they opted to cut themselves off totally to avoid spreading it further. Heroic.

Spearheaded by the local clergy who. like most of the village, died of the plague when they could have left and risked others.

See BBC programme " Eyam; Village of the Damned"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

That's a stupid comment. Italy has the highest number of expat Chinese of any European country, Northern Italy in particular, according to their Irish Ambassador on Radio 1.

What proof do you have to back up your daft statement that they 'screwed up'?

France had 350 new cases yesterday.

Germany nearly 400

Spain 98

Largest daily increases by far so far. All the graphs look exactly the same. No difference between Italy and the rest.

I'll post them later.

Now is the time for us to take action like Italy.
    It really isn't at 19 cases. That may well go a good bit higher but please stop encouraging people to live in a bad dystopian film.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Yes we can all agree Italy made a mess out of this. But still if you take French daily figures and match them to Italian figures a week earlier, the charts do seem to look awfully similar.

(I am taking France as an exemple as it is broadly a similar size and population, but I would put other European countries in the same basket)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I was in kildare village shopping outlet yesterday and plenty of Chinese and Italians plus plenty of other nationalities knocking about. When I was leaving another bus load of Chinese tourists arrived. Business as usual It seems

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Economically though, cancelling the parade wouldnt be as drastic as closing macau for 2 weeks.

Do you want the parade to go ahead?

We did it before for foot & mouth. We can do it again and have it in the summer.

Anyways how much of an economic disaster would an out of control infection cause the country? If a load of tourists turn up, go home and end up sick they'll blame Ireland. The longer term reputational damage would have a greater impact than postponing this year's festival.

People will understand postponement....they mightn't forgive getting sick & passing on the infection.

• Site Banned Posts: 38 ChurchtownMan

McGiver wrote: »
    All,

Can you please write to your councillors and TDs and complain that the attitude of HSE and media is simply unacceptable?

The intentional obscurity in reporting where new cases are located and total lack of transparency from the government and the HSE is disgraceful, it simply cannot happen in developed western European country. Most other European countries do not behave this way and report cases in detail.

We need to bombard them with emails and demand transparency.

Lack of transparency is one of the root causes of corruption and poor governance in this country. The more transparency there is the more inconvenient and difficult is to do corruption and the more easier is to hold the government accountable as well. Transparency is essential in properly functioning democratic governance to enable good outcomes.

Thank you all.

Nonsense. While it may frustrate the permananently Outraged of The Internet, this is nothing to do with transparency. Authorities will not release information simply as fuel for an avid twitter stream, or rubberneckers.
    The authorities are doing their best in unprecedentedly difficult circumstances, and one that they fundamentally cannot win. 'Transparency' has nothing to do with the health care of the nation. In contrast, the lack of it, is being taken for very good and responsible reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Would that be via Reddit, Twitter, a bloke down the pub, your granny's fifth cousin or a credible official source? Think we heard yesterday that UCG was rife with it.

Well this is a fact. And I'd nearly believe WhatsApp over the HSE at this stage as there is 100% 3 cases I know of that haven't been released.

Bob24 wrote: »
    I think this thread shows that slowly more people are understanding that it is not a minor issue though.

There are still a few but you don’t see as many “the common flue kills many more people than Covid 19 each year” type of comments anymore.

SARS WAS A HOAX!

No, it was a very dangerous disease that was stopped in its tracks, and you are mocking the efforts which halted that potential pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

daheff wrote: »
    France is catching up fast 230+ new cases yesterday. Germany with 163. Give it a week and we'll be talking about them as much as Italy

https://news.qq.com/zt2020/page/feiyan.htm?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf#/global

Hmm Italy as an outlier just doesn't make sense.
    It's same virus , and I don't think they messed up more than anyone else would or we would here.

This would make more sense and it's purely timing. And if that is true then other countries are not learning from them and just putting it down as an exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

Not a post about the disease but more a political philosophy point.

This illness will really clearly demarcated which countries have governments capable of making and enforcing strong decisions. China will use this to bolster the reputation of its model of government (moderate personal freedom with very limited political freedom), Russia will use it to show how much better it did than Western liberal democracies (they’ll be utterly ruthless with cases and lockdowns, they’re good at that) and the UK, Germany, the Benelux and Scandinavian countries will all do pretty well because of political and social characteristics.

People in poliscience and social studies courses will be writing PhDs on the impact of government style and social interaction/phlegmatically for decades to come.

Today’s crisis becomes tomorrow’s dissertation. That’s a surreal thought when you’re living in the crisis.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    That's a stupid comment. Italy has the highest number of expat Chinese of any European country, Northern Italy in particular, according to their Irish Ambassador on Radio 1.

What proof do you have to back up your daft statement?
    About as much proof that that your own claim holds water. Data will tell us in due course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

john_doe. wrote: »
    Ya It has to be spreading in Cork. Can't explain where the guy got it from , which means there is someone most likely out there spreading it.

Then factor in this guy was in hospital with doctors , nurses who move patients between wards.

I'd imagine there are number infected in hospital itself , just not known yet.

Well the most obvious explanation is that he was in contact with someone who had been in Italy (or somewhere else where cases had developed before here) and was a carrier / asymptomatic, possibly a member of staff or someone who was visiting him. Either someone is lying or someone is not doing their job properly.

An Ri rua wrote: »

What proof do you have to back up your daft statement that they 'screwed up'?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112754433&postcount=7220

Well this is a fact. And I'd nearly believe WhatsApp over the HSE at this stage as there is 100% 3 cases I know of that haven't been released.
    Ah so it's a conspiracy theory via WhatsApp. Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Show us the proof

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

The only difference between Italy and the rest of Europe is we are behind a couple of weeks.

We could be behind a couple of weeks but the Italians stopped flights from China the day they had two positive Chinese tourists. We have let hundreds of people back into the country from Italy. Numbers are going to go up very quickly here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement