Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

OMD wrote: »
    John Crown may be a good oncologist but he has no specific training in Public Health or Epidemiology beyond what he learnt as a student 40 years ago and his opinion should carry very little weight.

Your post indicates that we should trust him but not the hundreds of public health doctors in this country who are specifically trained to respond to situations like this.

Do you believe we should let the parade go ahead and hit A&E with loads of drunks? Lots of commentary this week of virologists and other experts saying it should be cancelled. But I can’t say I trust the experts saying it should go ahead, it makes no sense to my mind. Why put pressure on the system that’s already under pressure, why risk a rise in infection rates too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

All parades should be cancelled not just in Dublin but nationwide as organisers of some of them in my own county have done of their own accord.

If it becomes safe enough at a future date for the cancelled parades to be held, I'm seriously tempted to travel to Youghal, Middleton, Cobh or Stepaside and watch theirs and spend my money in a town that prioritised public safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Not a post about the disease but more a political philosophy point.

This illness will really clearly demarcated which countries have governments capable of making and enforcing strong decisions. China will use this to bolster the reputation of its model of government (moderate personal freedom with very limited political freedom), Russia will use it to show how much better it did than Western liberal democracies (they’ll be utterly ruthless with cases and lockdowns, they’re good at that) and the UK, Germany, the Benelux and Scandinavian countries will all do pretty well because of political and social characteristics.

People in poliscience and social studies courses will be writing PhDs on the impact of government style and social interaction/phlegmatically for decades to come.

Today’s crisis becomes tomorrow’s dissertation. That’s a surreal thought when you’re living in the crisis.

once china accepts that this is their Chernobyl and that their choice of political system caused it or made it worse

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

irishgeo wrote: »
    Show us the proof

You want me to get a sick cert off the hospital for you or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

We could be behind a couple of weeks but the Italians stopped flights from China the day they had two positive Chinese tourists. We have let hundreds of people back into the country from Italy. Numbers are going to go up very quickly here.

We couldn't stop Irish residents returning....but we should have stopped people going there or non Irish residents visiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yes we can all agree Italy made a mess out of this. But still if you take French daily figures and match them to Italian figures a week earlier, the charts do seem to look awfully similar.

(I am taking France as an example as it is broadly a similar size and population, but I would put other European countries in the same basket)
    And I agree we should be looking at other countries. There is no evidence so far that they'll end up with an Italian scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

daheff wrote: »
    We couldn't stop Irish residents returning....but we should have stopped people going there or non Irish residents visiting.

We could have tested those who came back!

Take mouth swabs of all passengers, take their details, follow up in a week with a further round of tests. Really easy to manage, not very expensive. You literally know what gate of the airport they are going to be entering. And until you get the results back, have them in isolation.

Mr.S wrote: »
    I'd love to know how you think a WhatsApp message from someone can mean it's 100% confirmed.

I didn't get this from WhatsApp, I simply said I'd nearly believe WhatsApp over the hse as they havnt released some of the positive tests from Friday.

We could be behind a couple of weeks but the Italians stopped flights from China the day they had two positive Chinese tourists. We have let hundreds of people back into the country from Italy. Numbers are going to go up very quickly here.
    Well as they largely seem to be Irish we have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

is_that_so wrote: »
    About as much proof that that your own claim holds water. Data will tell us in due course.
    Why, which ambassador, or source even, are you referencing? The AskMyArse search engine?

• Advertisement

And I agree we should be looking at other countries. There is no evidence so far that they'll end up with an Italian scenario.

Yes there is evidence, showing the exact same trajectory as italy 10-14 days ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

pc7 wrote: »
    Do you believe we should let the parade go ahead and hit A&E with loads of drunks? Lots of commentary this week of virologists and other experts saying it should be cancelled. But I can’t say I trust the experts saying it should go ahead, it makes no sense to my mind. Why put pressure on the system that’s already under pressure, why risk a rise in infection rates too.

I think we should allow the people best trained in this field to make decisions based on best international evidence and ignore media hungry doctors with no actual scientific basis for their opinions.

If John Crown and all other oncologists came out and detailed the best way to treat cancer should we trust them or should we ignore them and instead trust a media friendly GP with no actual cancer experience or indeed trust people commenting on social media over oncologists?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

France had first 'local' case (not linked to China nor Italy) showing symptoms from 13 February and diagnosed only on the 25 February.
    Not testing as much as other Countries
    Nearly 1000 total cases yesterday.
    Official statements that epidemy is inevitable.

Still no major measures, except: schools closed for two weeks in two epicentres only and nationwide ban of indoor events with over 5000 people.
    Local elections still coming up.

Defence meeting todat at 18.00 so I don't expect any announcement till then.

1298102-datacoronajpg.jpg?modified_at=1583414980&width=960

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Why, which ambassador, or source even, are you referencing? The AskMyArse search engine?

I never mentioned any ambassador.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

This ship has taken on a bit of water fair enough but there is no evidence it's going to take on anymore or even sink.

intro-1556313441.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,746 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Iran has stopped all flights to Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

daheff wrote: »

We could have controlled their return but nah, sure it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

pc7 wrote: »
    People don't get drunk watching a parade.

Those who want to get drunk will do so whether or not there is a parade.

With so few cases at present, it's premature to cancel anything.

Obviously things can change. But at this moment there's simply too much hysteria

US2 wrote: »
    Yes there is evidence, showing the exact same trajectory as italy 10-14 days ago
    Past performance is no evidence of the future. Only actual data will tell us.

• Site Banned Posts: 38 ChurchtownMan

harr wrote: »
    I was in kildare village shopping outlet yesterday and plenty of Chinese and Italians plus plenty of other nationalities knocking about. When I was leaving another bus load of Chinese tourists arrived. Business as usual It seems

How do you know they were Chinese. Interviews ? Or do you speak Mandarin ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

An Ri rua wrote: »
    :D:D:D

*Business Idea*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I was in kildare village shopping outlet yesterday and plenty of Chinese and Italians plus plenty of other nationalities knocking about. When I was leaving another bus load of Chinese tourists arrived. Business as usual It seems

It's up to governments to put controls in place to curb this. I know it sounds discriminatory but it is saddening to hear stories of Italians who are great people and friends being refused from Taxis. I have heard more than one story. Taxi drivers are caught between a rock and a hard place having to make such calls.

Government formation should be scrapped for 6 months at a minimum and our leadership should be working on a cross party basis.

It is a pity that some of the major parties have such an ego that they refuse to work with the others. Ego should be put to the side for once.

We have a lame duck situation. Having a re election is not an option now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

Kildare village was dead on Friday. Definitely not business as usual.

We are going ahead with our plan for St Patrick’s Day. Heading out west. I don’t think as a family we will change much of our plans unless told to. And we will of course be mindful of vulnerable folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

This ship has taken on a bit of water fair enough but there is no evidence it's going to take on anymore or even sink.

I've heard some hysterical individuals saying that they believe the ship will sink, but that's just scaremongering. Leave those lifeboats where they are!

Next you'll have fools saying we shouldn't have hit the iceberg in the first place.

Besides which, only old people have to fear the cold water. It has been well established that young healthy individuals can last a solid hour in these temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Darc19 wrote: »
    People don't get drunk watching a parade.

Those who want to get drunk will do so whether or not there is a parade.

Obviously things can change. But at this moment there's simply too much hysteria

So lets be reactive instead of proactive!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,746 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The Czech Republic has broken ranks.

They are calling on Italy to ban all foreign travel by Italian citizens.

First country in Europe to openly call for that

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Darc19 wrote: »

That's the reason to cancel, to try and keep it that way.

The risk is not from the confirmed cases.

The risk is from the unconfirmed cases that are out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Equally there is no evidence that proves we won’t end up like Italy. So what do we do? Wait for it to happen or take the measures they are taking a week or two in advance to slow down the spread?

We are most likely only testing only some of the people who have the virus. How do I know this? Because our authority’s expect more cases so even they aren’t delusional enough to think they have thus under control.

We are only testing people who have the most obvious symptoms and still haven’t even suggested people who were in Italy (who may not have symptoms and may never have symptoms but could spread it) quarantine themselves. We are preparing ourselves for the worst and doing little to nothing to try to mitigate the spread.

In fact asides from getting ready for this to be awful, what exactly are we doing to slow down the disease now other then tell people to wash their hands?

• Site Banned Posts: 38 ChurchtownMan

john_doe. wrote: »
    Hmm Italy as an outlier just doesn't make sense.
    It's same virus , and I don't think they messed up more than anyone else would or we would here.

This would make more sense and it's purely timing. And if that is true then other countries are not learning from them and just putting it down as an exception.

No. Italy is not an outlier. It made no particular mistakes. It is balancing economics with health on a day by day basis. It is doint what every other European country has chosen to do, only it was first into the firing line. Other countries have little to learn - they simply have the benfit of more time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yes we can all agree Italy made a mess out of this. But still if you take French daily figures and match them to Italian figures a week earlier, the charts do seem to look awfully similar.

(I am taking France as an exemple as it is broadly a similar size and population, but I would put other European countries in the same basket)

How exactly did Italy “screw up “ ? Seeing as you then go on to say France figures are exactly the same... Did France “screw up” too so?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement