Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Inshallah, the Iranian's are ploughing through the recovery numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭neenam

One of the positive things to come out of this pandemic; banning the trafficking, sale and consumption of cats, dogs and wildlife.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/1872339/chinese-city-of-shenzhen-to-ban-eating-cats-and-dogs?fbclid=IwAR0Dq8DyXx4aD9buYNZRoflFo-33D3LxkYzX55U8DrucgG2CQGL9LOTeHAg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

When it kicked off in China, a bunch of countries advised that people traveling should self isolate for 14 days. Then other countries enforced the isolation and turned away non-citizens (harder in the EU granted). With Italy, nothing - not even recommended self isolation. And we have doctors returning from their ski holidays and waltzing around the place till they show symptoms. It's nuts how hands off we've been.

neenam wrote: »
    One of the positive things to come out of this pandemic; banning the trafficking, sale and consumption of cats, dogs and wildlife.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/1872339/chinese-city-of-shenzhen-to-ban-eating-cats-and-dogs?fbclid=IwAR0Dq8DyXx4aD9buYNZRoflFo-33D3LxkYzX55U8DrucgG2CQGL9LOTeHAg

No eating pussy in China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Italy's name is going to be dragged through the mud with Covid 19. As a nation, they are single handedly exporting the virus to countries all over the globe.
    Tourism in Northern Italy must be massive..

Italy is a touristic destination, it was always going to be infected badly, Chinese tourists brought it to Italy, people went to Italy for holiday and picked up the virus there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

langer91 wrote: »
    Do you think public gatherings such as football matches or Cheltenham will be cancelled then? Seems sick to me that they’d leave these go ahead knowing people will be infected.

The general approach seems to be that "Delay" will involve stopping all large scale events. If Ireland gets local spread then I would imagine the main Paddy's Day parades will be cancelled for example.

Nijmegen wrote: »
    When it kicked off in China, a bunch of countries advised that people traveling should self isolate for 14 days. Then other countries enforced the isolation and turned away non-citizens (harder in the EU granted). With Italy, nothing - not even recommended self isolation. And we have doctors returning from their ski holidays and waltzing around the place till they show symptoms. It's nuts how hands off we've been.

If Mohammed won't go to the mountain, the mountain has to go to Mohammed.

(if we don't have the facilities to test everyone, we need to wait til they show and track them from there. theoritically the advise the HSE is giving is sound; the problem is that the levels in the virus are so different how do people know when they have it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Have to say my kids teachers have been so proactive... Hand sanitizer by classroom door and toilet... used on exit/return from break and toilet. A strike if not used!!

They’ve installed bidets in my nephews school.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

They don't know that it's a health system killer. They don't know how few cases will cause deep problems. Seems like when confirmed cases reach about half the number of ICU beds that's when things get serious. Be generous and say that's 150-200 confirmed cases for us (most active at the same time).

(excluding China who went almost complete shutdown after only 500 cases, assuming because they had the knowledge of how long they been covering up and did the maths)

I watched a documentary on how the Chinese were treating patients with Covid19. It is incredible the strict protocols they have in place for quarantine. For example, for a doctor to use a catheter/ give injection on a patient they need to change x amount of gloves afterwards each time. Af all times All staff need to be completely protected in full suits goggles etc and have to work 6 hour shifts during which they can’t eat, drink or use bathroom... It is very interesting to see the amount of resources and how treatment is slowed down by all these precautions. This is in the quarantine part. Outside of this they have community workers calling to houses and transporting patients to hospitals. They’ve turned office blocks etc into hospitals for people that have it but can mind themselves. It really is incredible how they managed it.

They also built a hospital with 1000 beds for Covid16 cases in less than - two weeks! They drafted 10,000 medical staff to help. It really is incredible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    They’ve installed bidets in my nephews school.
    Errrrr why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

gmisk wrote: »
    Errrrr why?

To rinse your mouth out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

So "40-70%" is now just "70%". A margin of over 2 billion people.

I see.

Errrrr why?

So students can wash their bum bums.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Lasagne is basically an adopted national cuisine.

I find the name of this thread appalling and disrespectful. That is all.

How come there are so few cases in the southern hemisphere. Is this confirming the temperature speculation? Looking at how tiny the diagnoses are in South East Asia, Indonesia and India, this has to be relevant now?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Do you think public gatherings such as football matches or Cheltenham will go ahead?

Seems sick to me they’d leave these go ahead knowing people will get infected

Yes they'll probably go ahead in the uk.
    As of this morning their chief medical officer like ours stated they had no intention of banning events at the moment

Was expecting more, but that's actually not too bad after yesterday's jump.
    They seem to know where each case was picked up too. Again Italy being the main cause

Actually 8 of the 25 new English cases today are not currently connected to a known hotspot (aka assumed local spread unless they find a connection subsequently).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Nevada becomes the latest US state to lose it's official novel coronavirus virginity

Lets see all those bare arms help them with this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,139 ✭✭✭✭josip

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0305/1120323-ireland-virus-containment/
    The HSE also said that any healthcare worker who returns from an at-risk area, should not return to work and should self-isolate and contact their Department of Public Health.

Stable door. Horse.

Although there's also a lot of culpability at a personal level for the Clare cok up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ok and that is related to coronavirus?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Actually 8 of the 25 new English cases today are not currently connected to a known hotspot (aka assumed local spread unless they find a connection subsequently).

Did they not say they're from known contacts?
    I could be wrong but thought I had read that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Do you think public gatherings such as football matches or Cheltenham will go ahead?

Seems sick to me they’d leave these go ahead knowing people will get infected

I think they're assuming that an epidemic is inevitable (Chief Medical Officer says 'Likely' but I think we get the message). It will have to start some time, and so there's little point in stopping all large gatherings for now while case numbers are still low.

Mass gatherings will only be banned once the epidemic has begun to take off, because that's when you need to slow it down to take the pressure off health services.

The UK govt is actually being quite open in what it's saying, and is preparing the public for an epidemic.
    The Guardian gives a round-up of what their thinking is today. Containment is basically over, now it's delay:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/05/coronavirus-minister-hints-u-turn-decision-stop-daily-uk-updates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

IAMAMORON wrote: »

How come there are so few cases in the southern hemisphere. Is this confirming the temperature speculation? Looking at how tiny the diagnoses are in South East Asia, Indonesia and India, this has to be relevant now?

Either (a) the heat, which is good news; or (b) they're not testing/are in denial, which is bad news. As with all Coronavirus related datapoints, interpret per your personal disposition.

I wasn’t actually being serious...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Drumpot wrote: »
    Again , there is a disconnect when it comes to playing out variables beyond your control. I think I’m prob gonna get this virus at some stage but me and my family are lower risk so I’m not that concerned personally as I was before chatting with my GP.

So I’m trying to decide what considerations if I am to go to a planned trip to Washington over the coming months:

- if I get sick away , do I automatically have to quarantine and if so do I include a potential 14 day extension

- do I want to get onto a plane there and back?

- I have a young family, will they be scared while
    I’m away if things have been happening/change?

- do I want to be sick abroad?

- do I want to abroad and one of my family potentially sick? What if my wife gets sick while I am away? She can’t ask her parents to help because they are higher risk. Will she be ok managing the kids on her own?

- what if travel restrictions change for some reason and I’m stuck indefinitely in another country

- what do I do if one of my friends (travel companions) gets ill while I’m away?

These are the things I’m considering off the top of my head.

All reasonable queries and worries Drumpot.

This is a new virus to science with a lot of unknowns... which is what makes it more scarey than the viruses which are well known. It looks as if the USA is just beginning to experience what China experienced 2 months ago. I am not sure how they will cope with truth and science deniers at the helm.

You should discuss it with your medical practitioner and follow official recommendations.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to many of your queries.

We are all in the same boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Funny how Italy stayed at 2 cases for ages. Testing has a lot to do with your numbers rather than the actual spread.

Maybe there weren't that many infected people in Italy back then, you don't think people would report to hospital with covid symptoms if thousands were already infected?
    As soon as the outbreak started the death toll picked up too, not before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

IAMAMORON wrote: »

Aussies talk with their mouths closed, to keep out the blowies, so the virus is finding it a struggle .

Did they not say they're from known contacts?
    I could be wrong but thought I had read that

This is exact quote, the wording can be read either way I guess!
    As of 9:00am this morning 25 further patients in England have tested positive for COVID-19.

17 were diagnosed who had recently travelled from recognised countries or from recognised clusters which were under investigation. Eight patients were identified in the UK where it is not yet clear whether they contracted it directly or indirectly from an individual who had recently returned from abroad. This is being investigated and contact tracing has begun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭neenam

The students won't ending up spreading with dirty hands as they wouldn't need to wipe?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Funny how Italy stayed at 2 cases for ages. Testing has a lot to do with your numbers rather than the actual spread.

Sort of bizarre (and unbelievable) that Russia has only 2 cases?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Cases almost excusivley comming from norhern Italy. Fine they didn' know at the time . But people still going to badly affected areas now on totally unnessesary trips out of pure single mindedness is tiresome.
    The rest of us hope you get quarintened because we dont want you to come back. There is a high chance you will get affected and by the time you 'bother' to call the hse cause you dont feel well ...alot of people around you will catch it unessesarily not that you give a toss.
    Im just speaking to the plonkers who are still doing it cause i'm pretty sure there are more than a few of em reading this who are taking these nothing bull**** trips because its their 'right'.:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement