Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Nijmegen wrote: »
    When it kicked off in China, a bunch of countries advised that people traveling should self isolate for 14 days. Then other countries enforced the isolation and turned away non-citizens (harder in the EU granted). With Italy, nothing - not even recommended self isolation. And we have doctors returning from their ski holidays and waltzing around the place till they show symptoms. It's nuts how hands off we've been.

It's always been like that. I remember during the swine flu outbreak I ended up in a+e and there was an ole fella in the a+e treatment department walking in and out of the main a+e reception area and using the toilets there. If anything like Swine Flu it will take time to get going.
    2 May 2009 1st case
    2 June 7 cases
    21 July 164
    28 July 2009, there were reportedly 276
    5 January 2010 there have been 3189 cases and 22 deaths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Lombardy region of Italy reporting the death toll there has risen to 98 from 73 in the last 24 hours

National figures due shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

paw patrol wrote: »
    If they came back from an infected zone and carried on working meeting and working with people. Then they are assholes and the hospital management complete are cnuts too.
    And these are medical professionals...like ffs...:mad::rolleyes::eek:

even banks and IT are telling staff to stay away but the HSE "no bother pal great to have you back at work"

if anybody gets sick and dies from this , that's on them.

And people wonder why the HSE want to protect people’s identity???

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

Ok, I just got home, what did I miss?Is the south of the country safe yet?

Btw, I entered a McDonald’s for the first time in almost a year and I saw that the only way to order was via touch screen and paying by card. Is it corona related or has been this way for ages?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,908 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Talisman wrote: »
    All the tins of chopped tomatoes were gone, but there are plenty of the tins of peeled ones.

Amateurs. Whole tinned tomatoes are far superior to chopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

The Nal wrote: »
    So "40-70%" is now just "70%". A margin of over 2 billion people.

I see.

Either 19% or 17.4%* of the passengers of the Diamond Princess contracted the disease. It had different age profile to the general population and it's well recorded that the quarantine was not well handled. Would that be a more realistic upper limit in global terms?

* Two different percentages because there were 705 cases but reports say they were 3,711 passengers quarantined but 4,061 people tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Cuckoo7 wrote: »
    Btw, I entered a McDonald’s for the first time in almost a year and I saw that the only way to order was via touch screen and paying by card. Is it corona related or has been this way for ages?

They only changed that since you got home!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

TTLF wrote: »
    Pal I’m in the in school, 5th year lmao

Nice to see new blood coming through:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Yesterday the UK jumped from 52 to 85 (33). Today 85 to 115 (30). Less than yesterday, hope that's a good sign.

Most countries seem to report early in the day but we tend to find out around 8.30pm..wonder is there a reason for this. We'll be more relaxed at the end of the day?!

Most shops are closed by then so people can't run out and buy all the bog roll because the bayesian probability of catching de Virus went up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Nua

I'm trying find a Twitter thread/story that was probably mentioned on here too (sorry if this has been asked before - these threads are massive!) where eagle-eyed posters saw the West of Ireland cluster on map by zooming in on photo of computer screens before it was announced officially? I saw it originally & thought total conspiracy theory, now I want to get their info!

https://twitter.com/kclr96fm/status/1235536501703954432?s=20
    Nua wrote: »
    I'm trying find a Twitter thread/story that was probably mentioned on here too (sorry if this has been asked before - these threads are massive!) where eagle-eyed posters saw the West of Ireland cluster on map by zooming in on photo of computer screens before it was announced officially? I saw it originally & thought total conspiracy theory, now I want to get their info!

https://twitter.com/herszenhorn/status/1234430543590195206?s=20

xgurx8O.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,546 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Beasty wrote: »
    Nice to see new blood coming through:)

That sounds like grooming TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭quokula

Either 19% or 17.4%* of the passengers of the Diamond Princess contracted the disease. It had different age profile to the general population and it's well recorded that the quarantine was not well handled. Would that be a more realistic upper limit in global terms?

* Two different percentages because there were 705 cases but reports say they were 3,711 passengers quarantined but 4,061 people tested.

Hard to see how it could possibly be a higher percentage than the infection rate of a group of people, mostly in the older at risk category, locked up in the same indoor space together for a large amount of time.

The city of Wuhan has an infection rate of less than 1% and numbers have been dropping.

Find it very hard to imagine it hitting a larger percentage than that of the world population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭davetherave

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112705617&postcount=4111

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm currently in Glasgow. If there's panic buying of haggis and/or sporrans back in Ireland let me know and I'll stock up....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

spookwoman wrote: »

As in Kilkenny, hadn't heard of any new case there, what's the connection? Another new case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

You can still pay with cash but it's mostly touch screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,506 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Welcome to the world of tomorrow.

You can still catch viruses by licking the screen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

quokula wrote: »
    Hard to see how it could possibly be a higher percentage than the infection rate of a group of people, mostly in the older at risk category, locked up in the same indoor space together for a large amount of time.

The city of Wuhan has an infection rate of less than 1% and numbers have been dropping.

Find it very hard to imagine it hitting a larger percentage than that of the world population.

That was over a 6 week period. You dont understand how exponential growth works if you fail to see how the numbers can spiral out of complete control very quickly. The city is still on lockdown btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Yeah they developed the touch screen systems and software in response to Cronoavirus in january

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭CoffeeBean2

Just heard from two sources about a case in Cork

As in Kilkenny, hadn't heard of any new case there, what's the connection? Another new case?
    No connection to kilkenny just added in to the other post to cut down on post numbers
    That map was from 2/3 days ago. its a blown up section of the map on the link.

Ohh FFS

A group from Coláiste Eamon Rís in Callan recently travelled to a region in Italy, and returned here on February 21. It is understood it was at most a low-level contact, and does not meet the threshold for testing.

What an assumption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112705617&postcount=4111

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

spookwoman wrote: »

Given that the map doesn't show the confirmed case in Dublin I'd be more inclined to think it's crap mapping software rather than a new case in the midlands..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Not to panic or anything.
    In the region of Lombardy where Milan is located there are 2251 cases positive. 1169 in hospital, 244 in intensive care.
    Which is our statewide limit of intensive care.
    Not saying to panic just numbers that are real and decisions we can make now.
    Time to postpone the parade ? Surely not.

source: https://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2020/03/01/news/coronavirus_in_italia_aggiornamento_ora_per_ora-249954540/?ref=RHPPTP-BH-I250268567-C12-P2-S1.8-T2&refresh_ce

"Ad oggi in Lombardia ci sono "2.251 casi positivi" di coronavirus, "1169 ricoverati, in terapia intensiva 244"

Just heard from two sources about a case in Cork

Waiting on that since yesterday...still nothing official.

• Advertisement

You can still pay with cash but it's mostly touch screen.

No, no, I’m telling you, there was no other option, the tills were removed, this in the Ilac centre.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement