Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

MD1990 wrote: »
    Way more than 4,000 have it in Italy.

They have infected every country & europe & even some cities in China.

People from the country should not be allowed travel anywhere,

Quite probably true based on how its spreading globally - Still a worrying amount of deaths, it might get worse as their health system becomes overwhelmed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Does anyone else think the media is actually NOT spreading panic and hyping up the situation with Covid19 ? I heard on radio people saying the media are hyping it up - I think they have behaved quite responsibly overall in fairness to them. They’ve made it quite clear to take precautions eg wash your hands and stay at home if not well. A few doctors have voiced concerns but nothing too over the top from what I’ve seen.

I can’t speak for tabloid rags but if anyone is going by what tabloids headlines print that is their own problem.

I don’t really understand why people feel so panicked. If it is by using social media they need to address who they are following watching etc and learn how to research and not rely on hearsay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

The mother in law just coughed there

Should I take her out back and take her out of circulation, just in case?

Ahem.

Where would Boyle, County Roscommon fall in the North, South, East, West charade?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,642 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Gods Gift wrote: »

Shotgun is yer only man there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Can someone please explain why northern Italy is a hotbed for this virus?

It's not

They were just unlucky. They're now only about a week ahead of Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Can someone please explain why northern Italy is a hotbed for this virus?

Apparently people from Clare visited it and infected a lot of people.

It’s either that or because the Chinese love Italy and there are literally millions of Chinese visitors every year.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Sort of bizarre (and unbelievable) that Russia has only 2 cases?
    They started taking it seriously in January. They're not encumbered by political correctness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

MD1990 wrote: »
    Way more than 4,000 have it in Italy.

They have infected every country & europe & even some cities in China.

People from the country should not be allowed travel anywhere,

It's not 'they', though, is it? All the cases in Ireland are Irish nationals who travelled back from Italy.

You can blame the Chinese for starting the entire thing with their backwards, unhygienic animal handling practices. You can't blame the Italians for it spreading in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Given that the map doesn't show the confirmed case in Dublin I'd be more inclined to think it's crap mapping software rather than a new case in the midlands..

It's also from 3 days ago as on the tweet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Text sent to parents about low level contact, School in Callan, Kilkenny -

https://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/home/522899/kilkenny-students-okay-for-school-after-casual-contact-with-corona-virus.html

Kilkenny People says students are not being kept off and school not closing. Anyone know why this would be?

I have child in preschool in callan and I have an underlying condition, bit uneasy about the whole situation.

I've a teen due to go on school trip to belfast/derry on monday also, really wants to go so would be major sulking if I cancelled, but is worrying me now too.

I have it on good authority a number of school kids tested in a school within kilkenny city itself also, italian roots once again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭quokula

Nice graphic. No if only we can mobilise the civil defence to start welding people into their apartments so that we can keep our stats to the curve.

It was in response to people discussing the possibility of a 70+% infection rate world wide.

The point was that this is the single worst affected place on the planet, and it still didn't come close to 1% infection rate before dropping off. Yes, they took measures. Measures that can be taken in specific limited areas if they got that bad (nowhere is that bad, including northern Italy, which is actually also starting to drop in the rate of cases per day and may be nearing the top of their own bell curve at some point)

It was also in the context of three thousand mostly older people being locked in a cruise ship where the virus was left to run rampant like a petri dish, and still most of them were not infected. The idea that 70% of the world's population will become infected despite large scale mitigation work is madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Gods Gift wrote: »

It's for the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Looks like first uk death recorded from covid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

quokula wrote: »
    It was in response to people discussing the possibility of a 70+% infection rate world wide.

The point was that this is the single worst affected place on the planet, and it still didn't come close to 1% infection rate before dropping off. Yes, they took measures. Measures that can be taken in specific limited areas if they got that bad (nowhere is that bad, including northern Italy, which is actually also starting to drop in the rate of cases per day and may be nearing the top of their own bell curve at some point)

It was also in the context of three thousand mostly older people being locked in a cruise ship where the virus was left to run rampant like a petri dish, and still most of them were not infected. The idea that 70% of the world's population will become infected despite large scale mitigation work is madness.

Nobody has immunity to coronavirus.

There is no natural ceiling to how many people can be infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Does anyone else think the media is actually NOT spreading panic and hyping up the situation with Covid19 ? I heard on radio people saying the media are hyping it up - I think they have behaved quite responsibly overall in fairness to them. They’ve made it quite clear to take precautions eg wash your hands and stay at home if not well. A few doctors have voiced concerns but nothing too over the top from what I’ve seen.

I can’t speak for tabloid rags but if anyone is going by what tabloids headlines print that is their own problem.

I don’t really understand why people feel so panicked. If it is by using social media they need to address who they are following watching etc and learn how to research and not rely on hearsay.

It appears low on internet search engines indicating that there is a definite effort not to spread panic and is probably a reflection of how seriously the virus is perceived .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

Three more patients have tested positive for coronavirus in Scotland taking the total to six, the Scottish Government has said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭solidasarock

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0305/1120323-ireland-virus-containment/

No expert. But Maybe actually doing literally ANYTHING and not just keeping going as business as usual would help with containment.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

Wombatman wrote: »
    Prediction time!!!!

Thursday morning next week, one week from now, how many diagnosed cases and deaths from Covid-19 in the ROI?

I'll go for 95 and 2.

28 and 0 deaths

3 weeks time 500+ and 15+ deaths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Sort of bizarre (and unbelievable) that Russia has only 2 cases?

I can only assume that Putin caught the virus early and sent it to the Gulag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Wombatman wrote: »
    Prediction time!!!!

Thursday morning next week, one week from now, how many diagnosed cases and deaths from Covid-19 in the ROI?

I'll go for 95 and 2.
    Jin luk wrote: »
    28 and 0 deaths

3 weeks time 500+ and 15+ deaths

Ye really need to get out more

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

You can blame the Chinese for starting the entire thing with their backwards, unhygienic animal handling practices. You can't blame the Italians for it spreading in Europe.

As far as I can recall, when this kicked off in December, I heard a report on the BBC that the type of market that the virus supposedly came from was actually outlawed in China a couple of years ago, however the local administration in the Wuhan area just did not enforce it/let these type of markets carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭crossman47

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0305/1120323-ireland-virus-containment/

No expert. But Maybe actually doing literally ANYTHING and not just keeping going as business as usual would help with containment.

What do you mean. They are working hard at tracing contacts and dealing with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭quokula

By anything do you mean things like identifying and isolating any cases, contact tracing, and public information campaigns on best practices to avoid spreading it? Because you may not be aware, but that's already happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/covid19-moh-mar-5-patients-discharged-new-cases-12505112

Five new cases in Singapore.
    117 cases total
    81 recovered
    7 in critical care
    0 deaths.

Seems that they are managing it so far. The great thing for them is that they dont have a huge rush of critical cases that overwhelm the ICU units .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭LastFridayNight

ITALYTEO%7D_0.png?itok=64fkOOJ_

Where are you getting these graphs from ? Are the available online and regularly updated? I would like to keep a closer eye on them. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

Coronavirus Part IV - What did the Italians ever do for us? Roman numerals?

Is this already moderated?? Totally disrespectful

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement