Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Is this sufficient excuse not to go to a wedding tomorrow?

Absolutely not.

I know weddings are a complete chore but you're only looking for an excuse now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Roger_007 wrote: »
    How is it possible to calculate a death rate when the numbers infected is unknown?
    If we are to believe official figures, the rate of infection in northern Italy is about 1 in 10,000 of the population, yet tourists/visitors to there from 20 other countries seem to have casually picked it up. The infection rate has to exponentially higher there than the reported number of diagnosed cases.
    Something doesn’t make sense here?

You are right, the CFR should decline the more people who are tested. But as Dr Bruce Aylward said on C4 news; the CFR is actually 3.4% (think it was that) but countries are cherry picking 2% by discarding Wuhan numbers arbitrarily.

When you think about it logically, the only way to have absolutely accurate numbers is to test everybody daily. That’s not feasible so they are only testing obvious cases in most countries. I think our available statistics really do lull some people into thinking things are not that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    So some discharged develop the infection again but it’s not reinfection it’s relapse?

Good to know...I think...

I agree, what worries me is that is seems to take forever to recover from it.
    What i found interesting in the Italian cases is that a lot of them were apparently old infections from early January (not sure how they know that) people had been sick since January with mild to no symptoms until eventually they got worse and required hospitalization

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What do people advise to do when they are aware of **** parents that took their children out of school this week to go skiing in Northern Italy for the week? The kids will be back at school next Monday.

Would you insist on the school refusing the children entry due to the risk of infecting dozens of school children who then risk spreading it among their own families/friends or do you keep you own kids out of school for 2 weeks? (especially when they are in the same class as those returning from Italy)

I believe the school should ring the parents and tell them to keep the children at home. The parents may object but they would have zero support from anywhere so let them object.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 boars

Runaways wrote: »
    Glad that’s done.
    I’ll accept apologies in the form of Venmo :)

Maybe some people should really think about what they don’t know before flying off the handle calling people liars without any evidence other than a typical case of internet cynicism. Which boards seems to be badly infected with.
    Ticks :)

This is not an AMA but will write a bit about the whole experience and post it later mods willing.

Talk soon.

Sorry to hear that runaways. Hope you get well soon and happy to see you back on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Turns out that family in Clare, husband was a GP and covering Shanon doc

Thats the arse torn out of it so

Only country in the EU that had a realistic shot at limiting this and we blew it because we're obsessed with follwing the neighbors lead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Is it possible to have the virus but little or no symptoms?

These people may be out there but are never interviewed because they have no reason to present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Drumpot wrote: »
    That is true and I’ve been taking more of a step back from this thread lately because it can consume you. I also went to my doctor (who is brilliant) and discussed my concerns in relation to myself and family/friends and my wider concerns. I had a good conversation with him and asked him why our authority’s appear to be communicating that we prob won’t get it as bad here as they do abroad. All I can say is I don’t feel paranoid after that conversation.

While I feel a bit more relieved personally , I’m even more angry with how our authority’s have been handling this. I don’t trust them for multiple reasons and think their “nothing to see here” strategy is going to causs a lot of damage , particularly to their own credibility when things get progressively worse. While they mess about with the Patrick’s day parade choice they have no credibility at all as far as I am concerned.

I have never once seen a "nothing to see here" strategy. I am getting the message that this situation has the potential to become very serious, but for now we are in the containment phase.

I aso don't think it is good use of GP resources to make an appointments for a chat. They are bound to be stretched at the moment with people who are sick.
    Their normal workload still exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Are primates subsceptible to other human viruses?

Be interesting to know

Never let a monkey lick your eye. That's a golden rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

woejus wrote: »
    "reinfection rate"? not mentioned once in both those pieces

your desire for this to be come a world wide calamity is troubling, father

pDzoMYd.gif

A startling number of coronavirus patients get reinfected

If you’re going to be pedantic: https://www.zmescience.com/science/a-startling-number-of-coronavirus-patients-get-reinfected/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

dan786 wrote: »
    Three new cases in Scotland takes UK total to 90

Can you change the font colour to red?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Cordell

Downlinz wrote: »
    Very few countries in the west are acting proactively, business is too important it seems.

Business is actually crucial, more people will die as an direct and indirect result of a severe economic downturn than this plague will ever manage to kill. And the effects will be long lasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

joe40 wrote: »
    I have never once seen a "nothing to see here" strategy. I am getting the message that this situation has the potential to become very serious, but for now we are in the containment phase.

I aso don't think it is good use of GP resources to make an appointments for a chat. They are bound to be stretched at the moment with people who are sick.

In fairness if someone is getting anxious, as it seems that poster was, I wouldn't say trying to address that is a poor use of a GPs time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Runaways wrote: »
    Glad that’s done.
    I’ll accept apologies in the form of Venmo :)

Maybe some people should really think about what they don’t know before flying off the handle calling people liars without any evidence other than a typical case of internet cynicism. Which boards seems to be badly infected with.
    Ticks :)

This is not an AMA but will write a bit about the whole experience and post it later mods willing.

Talk soon.

I heard on what's app you got it on purpose to save your boards.ie credability !! Only slagging lad get well soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Bambi wrote: »

Only country in the EU that had a realistic shot at limiting this and we blew it because we're obsessed with follwing the neighbors lead

I'm not so sure I understand this, what would give us an edge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Wombatman wrote: »
    Is it possible to have the virus but little or no symptoms?

These people may be out there but are never interviewed because they have no reason to present.

Yes. There are recorded cases where people had 0 symptoms who tested positive and then tested negative. Didnt even get a cough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

seamus wrote: »
    It's always a balancing act. You can't shut down an economy every time there's an illness spreading through it.

The "shut down everything" brigade don't seem to be factoring in how many people will die from the economic fallout afterwards.

We're already looking at widespread redundancies and closures in the tourism industry. Hotel and flight bookings are being cancelled at a rate of knots. If this continues on through the summer, we could see up to 50,000 people on the dole queue come September.

The reality is that going on a major quaratine spree will end up causing more damage than may be necessary.

So given that it's abundantly obvious that the tourist industry is going to get hit whether we pretend it's grand or not, should we not just get on and enact any public health measures. We can't hide on the island for this one. Managed to evade the horror of WW2 by keeping to ourselves but pandemics don't give a ****.

Just keep on necking pints and don't worry. The it'll be grand brigade have this. Paddy's day does generate a lot of revenue but mass public gatherings do spread potentially lethal virus. Hmmm we are in a pickle.

I'd say postpone paddy's day (cause we can) and buy us time to figure out what is killing a large percentage of elderly and immunocompromised people. I'm neither of the aforementioned groups but I'm not a prick either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

You'd have to feel sorry for the Airline staff working on these planes flying out of Italy ,I'm sure none of them want to be on the plane .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'd say there'll be a lot of aul wans making panicky calls to the HSE this morning:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

UK numbers are expected to go above 100 today. They are gone from containment phase to delay phase. Its going to get very bad there with dozens of cases being through community transmission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭megabomberman

Would it really be too much of a stretch to advise any person in the state who has a cough, fever etc. to stay out of the work place / public gathering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,321 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Would he have been the local doctor in a seaside town? It's what I've heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Anyone else getting spammed by Ryanair for Cheap flights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Would it really be too much of a stretch to advise any person in the state who has a cough, fever etc. to stay out of the work place / public gathering?

Not everyone could pay their way if they don't work unfortunately. Myself very much included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It should be common sense but unfortunately for many that goes out the window in these type circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Don't panic It'll be grand Sure what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and all. (small chance of killing you, higher chance of killing your granny though)

Stop spread mongering!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

dan786 wrote: »
    UK numbers are expected to go above 100 today. They are gone from containment phase to delay phase. Its going to get very bad there with dozens of cases being through community transmission.

And almost impossible to stop the same happening here if that materialises...

Only hope is to delay it a few further weeks here and hopefully the pitiless glare of an Irish summer will then intervene:P

When did they go to Italy. Were they back working and in school when they returned?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

The absolute sensible thing to do here is for the children coming back from the infected area be self quarantined for 14 days , however sensible and common sense is something that seems to be lacking in people right now 🙈

I don’t see why other parents should remove their kids from the school , this could lead to high numbers of kids being removed from the school instead of the 2 kids that are the ones that should self quarantine!
    What do people advise to do when they are aware of **** parents that took their children out of school this week to go skiing in Northern Italy for the week? The kids will be back at school next Monday.

Would you insist on the school refusing the children entry due to the risk of infecting dozens of school children who then risk spreading it among their own families/friends or do you keep you own kids out of school for 2 weeks? (especially when they are in the same class as those returning from Italy)

I believe the school should ring the parents and tell them to keep the children at home. The parents may object but they would have zero support from anywhere so let them object.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

joe40 wrote: »

Having to deliberate over the st Patrick’s day parade couldn’t be anymore “nothing to see here” action. I look at what people do, not what they say.

It’s none of your business if I choose to visit my doctor for personal concerns. You have some cheek to say that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement