Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

RTE news

Employers offering unpaid leave/part time work

Next segment

But one company is making a killing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

tuxy wrote: »
    People need to work to pay the bills. Their employer probably would not facilitate the self isolation.

In England they say they will pay from day one and are telling everyone to self isolate coming back from high risk countries whether u have symptoms or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

The HSE is beginning to find out that Ireland is not the exception, it's spreading here just like everywhere else. Comical Ali will be coming under pressure in the coming days.

A healthcare professional I know when asked about the local situation here said "Limerick is fcuked". An opinion of course but they have a good background and good information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The UK have changed the way they are dealing with people who have come from Italy, saying that due to the fact the virus got there a few weeks before anywhere else, it has spread incredibly fast there as they didn't realise what they were dealing with. If anyone has come from Italy, self quarantine for 2 weeks. They are also looking at minimising flights.

Any update from Harris before this weekend for here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

RTE news

Employers offering unpaid leave/part time work

Next segment

But one company is making a killing

Unfortunately we live in such a system were people are squeezed and can't afford unpaid leave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Something is seriously wrong here.
    The HSE are being very slow in informing the public about cases.

They've never been particularly good at informing the public about anything.

Took me 2 years to be seen, then I got 2 different appointment letters with 2 different dates...one of which popped in the letterbox after I had been seen AND discharged!! Jesus wept, fcuking bumbling organisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Some cases in UK are being treated at home.

In what sense are they being treated though, as there are no drugs to treat this. Can they have oxygen supplied at home?

I guess they could have a portable supplementary oxygen supply like people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease - basically a small oxygen bottle on a trolley and a tube looping around the head and supplementing the air supply via short nasal tubes.

I suppose there could be issues with supply and the added fire risk of having a significant additional number of oxygen bottles in the community with people who are not used to the extra care that might be needed around them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Unfortunately we live in such a system were people are squeezed and can't afford unpaid leave

Did it ever strike anyone that there are many companies who can't afford unpaid leave either?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

Main difference with italy is the health system
    If you complaining about italy I cant wait for hse...or you still thinking only 6 cases in Roi??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

fin12 wrote: »
    In England they say they will pay from day one....

That's because they have a government! We don't....just a caretaker one.

In the interests of the people, SF, FF and FG would want to get their ****/act together pretty quickly and form a national unity government!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Beasty wrote: »
    I'm currently in Glasgow. If there's panic buying of haggis and/or sporrans back in Ireland let me know and I'll stock up....

We're good for Haggis but very low on Scotch...
    ... extremely happy to help you get it to the needy. I'm good that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TheyDidWhat?!

The escalation in Italy is incredible.

I was in Treviso and Venice at the end of January. Glad I went when I did and not a few weeks later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I was in Treviso and Venice at the end of January.

Any sniffles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/339351990_Decoding_evolution_and_transmissions_of_novel_pneumonia_coronavirus_SARS-CoV-2_using_the_whole_genomic_data

This is research of the virus genome by a Chinese scientist called Yu Wenbin. It is not clear in the abstract from above link but according to a simplifying summary in below link- possible propaganda, but who knows - the genome can be divided into 5 groups, A,B,C,D,E according to age of evolution and so far China has only as far back as group C. Other places, like US, have all 5. The implication is the virus did not originate in Wuhan or Hubei, but was amplified there by the market.

Anyways could be a load of propaganda but still...at this point who knows for sure. Posted as matter of possible interest...

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1181159.shtml?fbclid=IwAR0qffOrDJQH6CxFSaMvhiuNPsobDYfPPpldDuFC4Dq0po5esScULMcMJM0#.Xl6FQ6Ubm35.facebook

Yeah because it's not confirmed. They wont report it until it is. Would be poor journalism if they did as national broadcaster

It is confirmed. All it takes is the DOH to issue a press release but they are going with this “we’ll tell you at 8pm and not before” route.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Nothing has been even mentioned by the News, HSE , anyone about the amount of Italians that would of booked flights and accommodation for this weekend for the Rugby ... and are all probably still coming over.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I was in Treviso and Venice at the end of January. Glad I went when I did and not a few weeks later.

hmmmm....what did you say your Eircode was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

The escalation in Italy is incredible.

tenor.gif?itemid=10800571

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Great if it is true in UHC! Hope no one from waterford and its catchment has a heart attack because that's where they will be shipped to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

DOCARCH wrote: »

In the interests of the people, SF, FF and FG would want to get their ****/act together pretty quickly and form a national unity government!

Strangely enuf,their appears to be a certain lack of enthusiasm being shown by the Entire Political 'family' about taking the reins of power...all gone very quiet.....none of them appear to relish dealing with King Corona......:p

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

It is confirmed. All it takes is the DOH to issue a press release but they are going with this “we’ll tell you at 8pm and not before” route.

The point is about rte not reporting on it.

It's not confirmed officially therefore not reported, pretty simple.

They arent going to put rumours on national tv really now are they ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Have you a backup gennie for the freezer? Thats the only thing that puts me off stocking up freezers, high on energy consumption. We ve been stung a few times with prolonged power cuts

No and we haven't had a prolonged power cut in years (it takes more than 24 hours to defrost) and it's only a small chest freezer and A rated - the food is on constant rotation so its not like anything goes to waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,336 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The NHS is asking people returning from Italy to self isolate if they have symptoms of the corona virus. I mean with all due respect to my fellow country men and women but unless you have a very good reason to be going to Italy and you go then you'd want your head examined at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TheyDidWhat?!

Any sniffles?

Weirdly in the last 2 days yes! More of a cold in fairness. Lots of sneezing etc!

I would say by the end of the year mos will see massive differences in daily life - no structure, no supplies, no police, public services, by another year a kind of mad max scenario with decimated populations.

Im serious - if you think differently let me ask you, when do you think the cases growth will at least flatten out ?

This rate is absolutely nuts ... beyond exponential...

For god sake... calm the hell down! The death rate is really not that high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Did it ever strike anyone that there are many companies who can't afford unpaid leave either?

Whoa slow down there egghead, leave the sensible posting at the door. Civilisation is ending here ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

DOCARCH wrote: »

Not a hope. Who would want to be in Government during a ****storm.

The leave it to FG

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

banie01 wrote: »
    There won't be until the HSE conference at the earliest.

The Gov/HSE have a very dated view of how information dissemination works in the modern world.

They are very much focused on controlling the narrative and release of information.
    The simple fact is that within minutes of a school sharing detail on contact tracing it is shared on social media.

The flow of information from the HSE is very reminiscent of the good old days of Potemkin villages.

The numbers and locations are not only being shared as and when on Social Media but are driving a sense of distrust in the current government handling strategy.

At present the Government are only digging themselves a hole.
    We need to be able to trust the information shared, rather than constantly question what lies behind it.

Incredibly poor media strategy.

It illustrates the total lack of respect the establishment have for the people, they don't believe we can be trusted to know the truth, its better that we're kept in the dark for our own sakes. Look at the difference between Ireland and the somewhat authoritarian Singapore when it comes to the dissemination of information to the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

FFS, way to use the virus to bash the public sector.
    I know yeah, the people who are still going to work to babysit your kids and make sure the population don't all die aren't given the luxury of working remotely but you begrudge them sick pay when they fall ill, from their predominantly public-facing jobs.

I suppose you want them to take the stiff upper lip approach of just going into work when they're sick? Great shout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Oh I was annoyed the way RTE put the two segments together, like theres a silver lining to the virus outbreak

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement