Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,658 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Gynoid wrote: »
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/339351990_Decoding_evolution_and_transmissions_of_novel_pneumonia_coronavirus_SARS-CoV-2_using_the_whole_genomic_data

This is research of the virus genome by a Chinese scientist called Yu Wenbin. It is not clear in the abstract from above link but according to a simplifying summary in below link- possible propaganda, but who knows - the genome can be divided into 5 groups, A,B,C,D,E according to age of evolution and so far China has only as far back as group C. Other places, like US, have all 5. The implication is the virus did not originate in Wuhan or Hubei, but was amplified there by the market.

Anyways could be a load of propaganda but still...at this point who knows for sure. Posted as matter of possible interest...

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1181159.shtml?fbclid=IwAR0qffOrDJQH6CxFSaMvhiuNPsobDYfPPpldDuFC4Dq0po5esScULMcMJM0#.Xl6FQ6Ubm35.facebook

So it really is all Italy's fault - CCP doing everything they can to place blame elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

harr wrote:
    Our child has four different hospital appointments next week .. for each one we will be sitting in packed waiting room for hours full of children who would have poor immune systems. Rang today to see if anything has changed or if they were going to reschedule. The answer I got was “ sure why would we be rescheduling appointments “ she nearly laughed at me for asking. Is anyone in different HSE departments talking to each other.

They dont talk to each other normally so now wouldn't be an exception. I have appointments every few months in CUH and appointments only go through that area rather than any central area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    Main difference with italy is the health system

What is needed is intensive care beds.

study from 2012: The variability of critical care bed numbers in Europe

https://link.springer.com/article/10...134-012-2627-8

134_2012_2627_Fig1_HTML.gif?as=webp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Only a matter of time before Italy's health service breaks - I reckon they'll have 50K cases by the end of the month - and what is happening in ITaly is a blueprint for the rest of europe.

This is a civilisation ender.

Believe it or not, they will actually be at 5 million cases by March 31st, based on a doubling rate of 2.4. If they manage to doubling out to 3 days they will have 1.5 million cases by March 31st. That is the reality Europe is facing unless there are draconian measures introduced to try and get back to a containment phase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/339351990_Decoding_evolution_and_transmissions_of_novel_pneumonia_coronavirus_SARS-CoV-2_using_the_whole_genomic_data

This is research of the virus genome by a Chinese scientist called Yu Wenbin. It is not clear in the abstract from above link but according to a simplifying summary in below link- possible propaganda, but who knows - the genome can be divided into 5 groups, A,B,C,D,E according to age of evolution and so far China has only as far back as group C. Other places, like US, have all 5. The implication is the virus did not originate in Wuhan or Hubei, but was amplified there by the market.

Anyways could be a load of propaganda but still...at this point who knows for sure. Posted as matter of possible interest...

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1181159.shtml?fbclid=IwAR0qffOrDJQH6CxFSaMvhiuNPsobDYfPPpldDuFC4Dq0po5esScULMcMJM0#.Xl6FQ6Ubm35.facebook

I'd believe it , the only possible explanation for such a fast spread in ITaly is that it was there for months, I read someplace else they think it's been in Italy since October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I’m going to go with 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

fritzelly wrote: »
    So it really is all Italy's fault - CCP doing everything they can to place blame elsewhere

That is not what was implied or posted.
    It was posted as info that is all. There is a research paper. Shrugs. Who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Yeah, a health professional and his family come back from an affected region of Italy and ..... goes straight back to work. This is mind boggling stuff. If we want to see evidence of how well prepared we are (NOT), we need look no further. :mad:

Probably following the protocol at the time!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

With the virus spreading, should I avoid using the bus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The Chinese government can get lost peddling their CIA conspiracy theories to save face. They're a bunch of f*ck ups who only acted because the lid would have blown off their control of the populace if they didn't.

Global Times would make Pravda blush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Weirdly in the last 2 days yes! More of a cold in fairness. Lots of sneezing etc!

Think you're in the clear, so, it's supposedly notable for the lack of runny nose/sneezing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

owlbethere wrote: »
    If it's true about Cork and the virus circulating in the community, Ireland will have to take each day as it comes and see how the situation unfolds over the next day or two or three and strongly consider locking down the country for a few weeks. I'm deadly serious here. I know it will be financial suicide but we are not able for an Italian situation to unfold here.

Cork can be Ireland's Wuhan

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Believe it or not, they will actually be at 5 million cases by March 31st, based on a doubling rate of 2.4. If they manage to doubling out to 3 days they will have 1.5 million cases by March 31st. That is the reality Europe is facing unless there are draconian measures introduced to try and get back to a containment phase.

This. This is why some of us are preparing our supplies and getting stocked up. Why is this concept so difficult for some to understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭solidasarock

So do Irish returning from north Italy/ China have to isolate on their return or are they clear to return to work?

I know what the smart option is but what has the gov said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Cycling is healthier. Not because of the virus but just in general. Heart disease is a massive problem for Irish men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Think you're in the clear, so, it's supposedly notable for the lack of runny nose/sneezing.

WHO specifically lists a runny nose as a symptom ?

What are the symptoms of COVID-19?

The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, tiredness, and dry cough. Some patients may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or diarrhea. These symptoms are usually mild and begin gradually. Some people become infected but don’t develop any symptoms and don't feel unwell. Most people (about 80%) recover from the disease without needing special treatment. Around 1 out of every 6 people who gets COVID-19 becomes seriously ill and develops difficulty breathing. Older people, and those with underlying medical problems like high blood pressure, heart problems or diabetes, are more likely to develop serious illness. People with fever, cough and difficulty breathing should seek medical attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,350 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No. There is no evidence of open circulation of the virus in Ireland. All nine cases on the island originated directly from Italy.

Follow handwashing and personal protocols, you'll be fine.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

So do Irish returning from north Italy/ China have to isolate on their return or are they clear to return to work?

You'll be grand...not a bother...make sure to get to a St. Pat's Day parade near you!

I'd believe it , the only possible explanation for such a fast spread in ITaly is that it was there for months, I read someplace else they think it's been in Italy since October.

I honestly did not think of Italy at all when reading . Simply that the virus may have been latent in lots of places before.
    We all caught a really odd dose at Christmas and I recall sitting in a cafe abroad with sudden fever and shivers alternating, which I really never get. It blew over fast though. Who knows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

"a decent fraction (10/43) of sequenced viruses sampled after Feb 1 belong to a particular genetic lineage
    This lineage contains viruses sampled from Germany, Switzerland, Finland, Italy, Brazil and Mexico
    At the base of this lineage lies the sample Germany/BavPat1/2020. This was "patient 1" in Bavaria who was infected by a business colleague visiting from China. "

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1235104921260675072

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭NewClareman

skimpydoo wrote: »
    A medic who went to work

A front line medic who went to work, working with seriously ill patients, some with already compromised immune systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Downlinz

You're not asked to do anything unless you've both been to one of those areas and show symptoms. Though it'd be best for all concerned if everyone returning from those areas isolated regardless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Independent reporting the CUH case is community transmission, patient did not visit Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Confirmed for cork ... hasn’t traveled outside the country and not connected with anyone who currently has it . Was attending the hospital for other issues when they tested him. A lot of people probably exposed to this in cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Self-isolating is really the only option at this point! Have a look at what the HSE say, for a source with a bit more expert opinion behind it.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/coronavirus.html

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭solidasarock

Independent reporting the CUH case is community transmission, patient did not visit Italy.

Who could have seen that coming

/s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/coronavirus-first-case-of-covid-19-detected-in-irish-patient-who-has-not-been-abroad-39019353.html
    Independent.ie understands a person in Cork has contracted the virus - but unlike other Irish cases they have not been to northern Italy in recent weeks.

It is also believed the person was not in contact with any of the existing known cases. This raises the spectre of community spread of the virus.

One health source indicated the latest case may indicate that the virus has been undetected within the community in Ireland for some time before the first case was confirmed.

First case of human to human transmission within Ireland possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TheyDidWhat?!

Exactly, just a touch of a head cold

• Advertisement

Yurt! wrote: »
    The Chinese government can get lost peddling their CIA conspiracy theories to save face. They're a bunch of f*ck ups who only acted because the lid would have blown off their control of the populace if they didn't.

Global Times would make Pravda blush.

I know GT is a propaganda outlet & that is why I linked the research publication. Is it not possible to have an open mind on things?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement