Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    "He was being treated for a separate and unrelated health condition on a busy ward in CUH."

So he was an in patient in CUH being treated for something else, so obviously in there for at least a day or two I would say longer if they eventually realised why he wasn't improving this would mean he would of had at least 3 - 4 days of treatment for something else and when they didn't see improvement figured it out . Oh My god this could be catastrophic in that hospital
    Catastrophic? Hmm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Gynoid wrote: »
    I know GT is a propaganda outlet & that is why I linked the research publication. Is it not possible to have an open mind on things?

Anything to do with Chinese national prestige and when it gets tainted needs to be taken with a huge dollop of salt. The pandemic and their initial inaction has stung the CCP big-time and they are liable to say anything to get their population to think they're not screw-ups.

Shady foreigners trying to undermine China's brilliance is a popular canard that gets swallowed up by hundreds of millions of hyper-nationalist Chinese online.

It's not worth entertaining. I'd keep an open mind if it came from literally any other source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

circadian wrote: »
    **** me community spread already, it's only the 7th confirmed case. Most other places went a lot longer before this.

Many here last week we're calling **** on the hses testing policies of people coming back from Italy. People knew this was circulating and more serious in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

So as usual this thread is obviously gonna crash once the official announcement is made, but little do they know that we already know what they don’t know we know

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. We KNEW it was circulating by community transfer, it simply had to have been passed on by the Italian cases. It might kick the country into some sort of action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

is_that_so wrote: »
    Catastrophic? Hmm!

Involving or causing sudden great damage or suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Independent reporting the CUH case is community transmission, patient did not visit Italy.
    Friend of mine working in Radiology said that the man was in for an xray and they just caught it. Imagine how many they'd "just catch" if they would test probable cases and not just direct contact.

Completely out of control, bring the school holidays forward. It's probably already too late but at least it will go some way towards preventing further spread. This is outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

is_that_so wrote: »
    Catastrophic? Hmm!

I'm not one of the doomsdayers but a lot of other viral infections can be catastrophic in hospitals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Community based infection to me is the result of some kind of contact with Italy/Chinese etc. carriers.

Patient may not have travelled, known anyone who travelled from Italy/China, but it's out there just the same.

Trying to stay optimistic. Still no hand gel anywhere in the country AFAIS, but the virus is here, and will not go away for a while.

I reckon HSE did the usual thing of We Irish Are Special, we will not suffer like other countries. Well I do hope that's true, and it may be contained, best case scenario that.

Let's see what the next two weeks brings when self isolation for a few schools and others is over.

• Advertisement

skimpydoo wrote: »
    As person with a compromised immune system I am assuming that it is everywhere. Time to stay in and watch some box sets.
    Was out and about today, in a church and a restaurant. No hand shaking and hand gel at entrance to church. Childer being packed off to wash their hands at the restaurant, hand gel on the table but otherwise a pretty normal day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Fück. The Irish times just said in this new case the man is critical. Holy Moly. Poor guy. I really hope he pulls through.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Retro I just spat my tea everywhere, brilliant! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Can't wait for the Irish football playoffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Yurt! wrote: »
    Anything to do with Chinese national prestige and when it gets tainted needs to be taken with a huge dollop of salt. The pandemic and their initial inaction has stung the CCP big-time and they are liable to say anything to get their population to think they're not screw-ups.

Shady foreigners trying to undermine China's brilliance is a popular canard that gets swallowed up by hundreds of millions of hyper-nationalist Chinese online.

It's not worth entertaining. I'd keep an open mind if it came from literally any other source
    Please leave your China bashing of this thread. Focus on what steps could be introduced here to reduce the rate of contagion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

People mighty finally start to understand the consequences of an outbreak here which goes way beyond direct health effect of the virus.

I hate having to learn the hard way.
    Its not like we couldn't SEE what was happening in other countries.. and that they didnt go to superhuman efforts to try and spare us the same thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

I'm not one of the doomsdayers but a lot of other viral infections can be catastrophic in hospitals.

True but the last place you want it circulating among people is a hospital or hospice. God love any Cancer patient or Cystic fibrosis patients if they contract it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Yurt! wrote: »

I totally get all this. One of my children lived there for a long while. But the paper is also on researchgate.net. I know, by a Chinese scientist. But it will be Chinese scientists who contribute a lot to science on this matter as they have been dealing with such a lot of it. Anyways, no arguing intended, you have your approach which is understandable, I just like to wonder about stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

BREAKING: Italy to ban all flights from Cork

"A grave threat to our nation" said one Italian official

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Heard from a reliable source a test costs 500 euro so they don’t want to go and check everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

tillyfilly wrote: »
    Can't wait for the Irish football playoffs

No coronavirus in Slovakia so they say, we're all good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    This is a good thing though? Many mild cases with no hospital treatment needed?

Just hoping that 20pc figure is an overestimate.

Trending at just over 15% at the moment.

Which isn't bad.

Then you remember what 15% of 1 million is.

I'm going for a lie down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Please leave your China bashing of this thread. Focus on what steps could be introduced here to reduce the rate of contagion.

Thanks but I'm not a health professional, I'll leave that to them.

My comments were a fair response from a serious charge coming from the origin country of the virus with a history of deflection and propaganda.

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Involving or causing sudden great damage or suffering.
    Yeah, based on what actual evidence? Your own state of great unease does not qualify!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Its not like we couldn't SEE what was happening in other countries.. and that they didnt go to superhuman efforts to try and spare us the same thing..

It’s mind boggling, threads back I was saying surely they should cancel surgery’s now, get wards cleared as much as possible, train all staff from porters to doctors in ppe, plans in place for beds, removals etc. We KNEW this was coming, I’m some randomer on Boards how could they not see this coming?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

The endless baseless panicmongering in here is so draining.

If anyone wonders why you’re not being told every little detail about every single element of planning and handling this, just pick a random page and read through.

Jaysis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

SeaBreezes wrote: »

The EU needs to stand together and get this under control and do whatever it takes like a lockdown. They have been peddling solidarity our way for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The new patient is in intensive care according to the IT :(

How you feeling Runaways?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

So what number do you think tonight ? Just the cork one or will they have more to confirm.
    Maybe they think we can only handle the one tonight ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement