Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Was there another case? Or is this one of the 4 people from yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-seventh-patient-tests-positive-in-the-republic-1.4194376
    Can I just say fair fcuking play to Irish journalism on this. The party line needs to go in the bin and we need to rely on testimony from people working in clinical settings providing their experiences to the press because the mouthpiece is not adequate. At least now this "South of Ireland" sh!te can end, trust the rebels in Cork to break with tradition.

He was in hospital a week ago and back in this week again. It's highly, highly likely that he contracted it in hospital.

Our front line staff are being treated with absolute contempt by the HSE. This "control the narrative" approach is putting them at incredible risk so early on in this situation, and we are really, really going to need them in the coming months.

Our children are at risk of losing grandparents and parents and spreading the virus further. With the hospital spewing out possible sources of transmission will week, the schools need to close ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    This isn't necessarily a bad thing. We KNEW it was circulating by community transfer, it simply had to have been passed on by the Italian cases. It might kick the country into some sort of action.

I agree, imagine they didn’t discover this by accident and were planning as if we were still not that bad... Hopefully this really speeds up government response and all authorities start to go full pelt at stopping this, even if it means cancelling major events and closing schools.....

I think I heard earlier they tested 70 people yesterday. Does this not mean that 5 out of that 70 had the virus? (If this person was tested yesterday with the other 4?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

If I load up on vitamin C would it help against it?
    My lungs wouldn’t be the best, at the best of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Where the feck are all these places getting their hand gel from!

I'm tempted to go to the concourse in a hospital with a big bottle and decant some of their supplies at this stage, while pretending to use it on my hands.

That is a joke my friends I wouldn't do it (YET), but I reckon many are filling up their bottles in hospitals like the holy water in Knock as we speak.

It's a long time to be without hand gel, surely some enterprising company has a handle on this and if they can fulfil orders, will make a fortune.

But if stocks are replenished I think the amount purchased should be limited to three or four at a time. Or less. Nothing to stop repeat visits for the same I suppose, but hate the way it's being gouged on Ebay and the likes right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Gods Gift wrote: »

I was reading myths about corona today and that was one of them. Still no harm though

Are you on inhalers? If so take them as often as you are meant to and dont be missing them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Runaways wrote: »
    The endless baseless panicmongering in here is so draining.

If anyone wonders why you’re not being told every little detail about every single element of planning and handling this, just pick a random page and read through.

Jaysis

welcome back!!
    How are you feeling?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

the latest doing the rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭circadian

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I wonder will the HSE start testing people who haven’t been travelling to China/Italy now.

Time to take their head out of the sand.

My thinking, I'd suspect that this policy could very easily have encouraged community spread since we're seeing it so early on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

If anyone wonders why you’re not being told every little detail about every single element of planning and handling this, just pick a random page and read through.

Jaysis

Ah tis yourself. Were you not banned or something. What happened there at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Jaysis

How are you doing now? Hope all is well. Are you considering an AMA about your experience in hospital in Ireland during this crisis to tell us all you know.

Please do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭dougm1970

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

DVDM93 wrote: »

Christ in hell, lord save us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I smell bullshiiiiittttee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,456 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »

I think the hse should send out self testing kits if possible, I imagine everyone will be running to their doctor to be checked out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Where the feck are all these places getting their hand gel from!

I'm tempted to go to the concourse in a hospital with a big bottle and decant some of their supplies at this stage, while pretending to use it on my hands.

That is a joke my friends I wouldn't do it (YET), but I reckon many are filling up their bottles in hospitals like the holy water in Knock as we speak.

It's a long time to be without hand gel, surely some enterprising company has a handle on this and if they can fulfil orders, will make a fortune.

But if stocks are replenished I think the amount purchased should be limited to three or four at a time. Or less. Nothing to stop repeat visits for the same I suppose, but hate the way it's being gouged on Ebay and the likes right now.

Isopropyl alcohol 70%, you can get it from some pharmacies.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dickdonk14

Doom off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Heard the bit about him in Shannondoc from 2 different folks(1 of whom is a nurse)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Do you trust Vanessa gibbons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Ok I’m officially spooked now !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Daz_ wrote: »
    Ok I’m officially spooked now !
    Why so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

wakka12 wrote: »
    Was there another case? Or is this one of the 4 people from yesterday?

Another one in Cork. Apparently unrelated to travel from an affected area which means it's in the community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I haven’t seen that text but I’ve got most of that info from another source relatively close to there. It does look like they did Shannon Doc and possible also a shift at the hospital too

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭IQO

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/05/health/coronavirus-deaths-rates.html
    A mathematician who studies the spread of disease explains some of the figures that keep popping up in coronavirus news.
    If you were the average person, what would you pay attention to — in terms of the news and the numbers?

One signal to watch out for is if the first case in an area is a death or a severe case, because that suggests you had a lot of community transmission already. As a back of the envelope calculation, suppose the fatality rate for cases is about 1 percent, which is plausible. If you’ve got a death, then that person probably became ill about three weeks ago. That means you probably had about 100 cases three weeks ago, in reality. In that subsequent three weeks, that number could well have doubled, then doubled, then doubled again. So you’re currently looking at 500 cases, maybe a thousand cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Just heard from people i know that returned from italy last week that they tested positive, we are deffinitely gonna see a spike in todays numbers around 8 when the HSE announce.

They did immediately self isolate once they got back so unlike others they took it seriously at least and nobody else should be infected via them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Wouldn't do much harm, taking a normal RDA amount, or slightly more.

They're doing some trials in the far east but it's with hugely massive amounts, taken hourly for those in deep battle with it, maybe wait for results on that.

There are loads of other vits, minerals, herbs, spices and so on that may be useful (of course any view on this is highly subjective). Have a list of about 20 items as complimentary/alternative/natural/preventative medicine and ideally should shrug this WuFlu thing off within a few hours of a bad cough, if ever caught.

Only real concern is the risk of more potent mutation, some rushed out vax, or it becoming part of the regular seasonal flu batch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

If these CHU reports are true the HSE are about to get a very quick lesson in how much serious care a person needs when they are already compromised and then get pneumonia from this virus. If the person is old and ill they might need ICU treatment and constant care. If this has spread into the hospital it could get very messy. Sounds like it out of control already.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Wonder when they’ll decide to close schools countrywide...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

gmisk wrote: »
    Why so?

Saw a black cat

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement