Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

pc7 wrote: »
    How you feeling Runaways?

Much better. Aggressive Flu and typhoid (they think) got to go back on Tuesday for more bloods.
    Effin delighted I be outta there but have to disagree they aren’t preparing. They really really are on frontline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,097 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Too early for Easter break that's not till April.

Dont think schools will close across the country just yet. Look at the UK for example. Only closing where required

And we will close them a few weeks after required :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Stheno wrote: »
    Anyone with so much as a hint of a cold or any suspected contact with the virus must work from home for 14 days yes

I'm in Cork and I have full capacility to work from home. We have onnly been told to stay away if we were in hot zones. I have a cold. Runny nose and cough :eek: I'm gonna go in tomorrow but I bet I will be getting some strange looks. No one is taking it too seriously though so it will be more jokes than anything else. This evenings news may change that of course.
    Still easier to just go in than explain to my boss that I am working home because of the sniffles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

All started with one fella eating a bat in the middle of China

Think about that

Pangolins probably, originally from bats but the pangolin an likely intermediate host. Used illegally in Chinese medicine. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/05/opinion/coronavirus-china-pangolins.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Not sure who to believe anymore, Dr. Tony or some randomer on Facebooks sister in-laws granddad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Girl on our team jetted off home to Treviso today. Not essential travel from what I gather, just home to see family for the weekend.

I have work from home access. I'm very tempted to ask (dare I say demand) that I work from home until this blows over. My only concern is how long it'll last, and not being able to demand working from home for that long.

I did this yesterday, my manager wasn't very pleased. Tho this was hours before cases in the 'east' were confirmed.

I really think we need to work hard at causing a shift in attitudes here. Not a lot of productivity is lost with WFH (quite the opposite in a lot of cases). I'm a developer and my main work contacts are in India and the Netherlands...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Too early for Easter break that's not till April.

Dont think schools will close across the country just yet. Look at the UK for example. Only closing where required

I think Greece has closed all schools, for a couple of days, and they only had 10 cases (at the time).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

It's quite likely he had absolutely no symptoms whilst working. The thing with this virus seems to be that you can be carrying it without any symptoms.

Mad really. It wont be contained . It cant be contained. We can only just wash and clean hands and try best not to spread without closing down the whole country and grinding everything to a halt. The show must go on

week ago people where told to self isolate that should have at least made him make others aware and get tested at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

It's a mystery though. I mean imagine the same thing happening here as happened in China, south Korea, Iran, Italy, diamond princess. Absolutely incredible. Shocked to the core, I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

The Cork case is concerning. But also the patient got sick some time ago, if it is indeed in the community for weeks there hasn't been any great spike in pneumonia here.

All pneumonias being tested now.

Particularly if this person contracted the illness from someone who has not been diagnosed.

Edit: just read that this is likely to be the case. Very very scary stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

harr wrote: »
    Confirmed for cork ... hasn’t traveled outside the country and not connected with anyone who currently has it . Was attending the hospital for other issues when they tested him. A lot of people probably exposed to this in cork.

I wonder what made them test him?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Runaways wrote: »
    Much better. Aggressive Flu and typhoid (they think) got to go back on Tuesday for more bloods.
    Effin delighted I be outta there but have to disagree they aren’t preparing. They really really are on frontline.

You were in the mater was it ?? Always found the staff there exceptional.

From your experience I presume they are as prepared as can be ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Wrong the 10th case in Cork had not been abroad or in contact with the other 9 cases.

that's evidence that the virus was already on the island, it takes a couple of weeks before symptoms start to show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Many many workplaces simply don't have that facility. Also many workplaces where there is customer contact have recorded phone call requirements. This doesn't work at home.

It does, we have it and tested it this week with all our agents from home.
    That being said some old systems may not be VOIP.

Anyway your right in what you said, not every job can be done remotely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

The first Boards Corona Carrier should do an AMA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I wonder what made them test him?

Apparently had been given certain medication and it wasn’t having the desired effect when it should have so they tested him

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Runaways wrote: »

Great you are on the mend. Glad to hear they are preparing where you were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Listen. It is pointless reporting on numbers now. It’s a global outbreak. Governments are wasting there time highlighting confirmed cases.

They need to start helping the people who need assistance and move on. This is not containment.

It’s obvious that it’s a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

DOCARCH wrote: »

I think Greece has closed all schools, for a couple of days, and they only had 10 cases (at the time).

Best they could do here then maybe is close until after Patrick's day??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Germany have had a very bad day. 281 new cases now, bringing their total up to 543.

Won't be their worst day though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

phill106 wrote: »
    What about rubber necking?

The Elvis song?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Individuals need to start taking responsibility not waiting for guidance from the government.If you feel sick stay away from large crowds and work places. Need to pro active and in this situation better to over react

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Best they could do here then maybe is close until after Patrick's day??

Need to get the parades done and out of the way first! According to HSE/DOH, parades are all go...no risks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

micar wrote: »
    Particularly if this person contracted the illness from someone who has not been diagnosed.

Edit: just read that this is likely to be the case. Very very scary stuff

i think most catch the virus from someone who has not been diagnosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭solidasarock

I haven't seen a mask in public yet. But I wonder if I should be the asshole that wears one first.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Shamboo1801

namloc1980 wrote:
    Another one in Cork. Apparently unrelated to travel from an affected area which means it's in the community.

I've heard that the person infected has recently returned from tenerife. It's also being stated that its 2 cases confirmed rather than 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

gabeeg wrote: »
    Germany have had a very bad day. 281 new cases now, bringing their total up to 543.

Won't be their worst day though

Doubling numbers. This thing is going to explode all over Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

wakka12 wrote: »
    Next two weeks are easter break for many schools I think

Not even close, April 3rd is when we get 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭macwal

A fine meal last I heard

The eater or the eatee...?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement