Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

wadacrack wrote: »
    Maskes are effective. Just the media claiming they are not due to a shortage.

And Asian governments (whereby there are more stocks and local production capacity) have either provided them to their populations, recommended them, or made them mandatory.

The “information” provided in Western countries that they are not reducing chances of infection is plain and simple propaganda (it might be for the greater good to avoid panic and direct limited supplies to the most needful circumstances - but nonetheless it is propaganda).

Quite impressive case study of how effective it can be as well given the constant flow of posters on here who keep saying masks are not providing protection (to avoid any questioning, I am referring to FFP2 and FFP3 masks).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

christy G wrote: »
    Hi I was wondering if people are stocking up on food and water ?

I’m stocking up on on Graham Norton wine and Easter eggs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

How many cases do we have now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I have stocked up on food and water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Downlinz

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1235643635762413568

It's simply unbelievable how unprepared the HSE are, no plan and no ideas whatsoever just react, react, react when the bad thing happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

A bit of extra food dry pasta, and frozen fresh pasta sauce just handy in next few months coronavirus or not.
    Didn't buy any water but I have a filter jug for tap water and a tonne of filters like a year's worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Thought we were fcuked after last night's announcement, we're absolutely fcuked now, nice knowing yiz xx

skimpydoo wrote: »
    I have stocked up on food and water.

What do you mean when you say stocked up? As in how long worth of stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 inatissy

If like the cruise ship roughly 20% get infected, you're looking at over 950,000 cases with a 2.4% death rate that's 22,800 people dead. Probably higher as access to medical care will become limited etc.

Yearly deaths in Ireland is only about 31,000.

This isn't the flu, or car crashes etc., this is **** hitting the fan. Wash hands and stop going out unnecessarily.

I hope my figures are wrong, and I hope 20% infected is considered overly high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Necro wrote: »
    As I said, rumours that are yet unsubstantiated. But very very unnerving if its that close.

It's all close really and as someone with a lung condition it's quite unnerving alright. I will be wearing a builders mask the next time I'm in Joe Simon's (will fit right in) -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭boetstark

I smell bullshiiiiittttee.

Sorry but don't be such an ignoramus. That is 100% true. Do you live in this area. If not please stop rubbishing people's attempts to share information with the public

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Just as 9/11 changed how we live i think this global outbreak will change the world and how we all live

As for our leaders...totally spineless. Bet Leo still waits til Monday for his special meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

namloc1980 wrote: »
    A lot of people who don't get sick pay from their employer will still go to work as they won't be able to afford to be absent, even if they are feeling a bit under the weather.
    Gov should have had online register in place weeks ago, generating id no for each person advised by doc or HSE to self-isolate cross ref. by RSI No., so employers could have it interrogated and confirm genuine self-isolation, and such registration legislated to be sick note for 14 days.

In addition, all such self-isolated should be entitled to sick pay from State in absence of employer sick-pay contract. Public sector have granted themselves this facility, and bear in mind that TDs covered as public sector in this respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

The next Irish government Corona-tion will be in war time circumstances

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Downlinz wrote: »

That's GUBU if they are just advising that now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Blueshoe wrote: »
    How many cases do we have now?

Of wine or virus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

No harm in Calmly working out maybe 2-4 week supply and getting them in. Check dates to make sure it will last long. Try to think of it that all you are doing is buying in advance to give yourself choices that you may or may not need to take (self isolation). Watch the HSE video from earlier. Try to only read credible , non sensational bits of information (Dr Bruce Aylward has a lot of experience in this). Keep buying normal daily or weekly shops but don’t use your supplies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's simply unbelievable how unprepared the HSE are, no plan and no ideas whatsoever just react, react, react when the bad thing happens.
    And with that scandalous revelation on the internet the HSE resigned in its entirety!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Blueshoe wrote: »
    What do you mean when you say stocked up? As in how long worth of stuff?

Two plus weeks for me we wo UK ld normally have that much tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

gmisk wrote: »
    Who says he had symptoms? I doubt someone would be struck off for it.
    He should have self isolated if he came back from northern Italy though, incredibly selfish no doubt.

He was working for HSE and following their guidelines IF he had no symptoms.

I suppose all this blaming him and judging him without knowing the facts is really what the HSE were trying to avoid by not identifying people/ areas. People are getting really angry now. I heard people in work today giving out about someone going to Italy, they were very angry, I expect this will get worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I've got relatives from UK staying here for the World Irish Dancing Championships early April.

They are great fun and we enjoy each others company, but I wish to god they were staying in an hotel now. Another hotbed of multi country potential infections. But hey ho, get out the dettol now and go for it I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

lads there was never any chance we could contain it. just have to let this thing run its course and not panic. it's a pretty bad flu season, but it will pass. that's how our mindset should be now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Ludo wrote: »
    I'm in Cork and I have full capacility to work from home. We have onnly been told to stay away if we were in hot zones. I have a cold. Runny nose and cough :eek: I'm gonna go in tomorrow but I bet I will be getting some strange looks. No one is taking it too seriously though so it will be more jokes than anything else. This evenings news may change that of course.
    Still easier to just go in than explain to my boss that I am working home because of the sniffles.

Your'e boss must be an effin idiot then. I don't see the problem. What is the point in giving someone remote working capability if you do not trust them to work remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

According to worldometer sight we have a new case that brings the numbers in the south to 7

Of wine or virus?

Both. Equally important. Nothing like a good red while you watch your geebag neighbor die

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

inatissy wrote: »
    If like the cruise ship roughly 20% get infected, you're looking at over 950,000 cases with a 2.4% death rate that's 22,800 people dead. Probably higher as access to medical care will become limited etc.

Yearly deaths in Ireland is only about 31,000.

This isn't the flu, or car crashes etc., this is **** hitting the fan. Wash hands and stop going out unnecessarily.

I hope my figures are wrong, and I hope 20% infected is considered overly high.

How can you compare ireland to a cruise ship? What would our population be if we were as densely populated as one??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

This surprises you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Who's ready for boards to crash again 🀣

TTLF wrote: »
    I feel bad for the people doing LC and JC orals, or art projects. Or even my sister doing college finals :eek:

My friend in Dubai said when when I asked if they officially closed all schools there (mind you only having 28 cases I believe)
    “Let’s just say, easter break has come early for 2 weeks, after that we have to do online learning”

This virus is really going to have repercussions Leaving Cert time. Trying to stop students coming in to sit exams when sick with flulike symptoms will be seriously problematic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,894 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Probably more than 1 case going to be announced.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement