Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Employees need to step up and sacrifice there holidays if they want to get paid while watching Netflix for two weeks.
    Unless the government order closures business interruption insurance won't pay out for employers.
    Not all businesses can afford to close down and still pay staff. There's no telling how long this could go on, government needs to carry the can on this one.

The messaging should begin with harsh reality and they should emphasis a sense of community and duty. Things that have been lost in the last couple of decades and I think are crying out for revival & invocation in a situation like this.

i.e. I've never been particularly moved by the idea that I'll get it because it likely won't be too bad for me if I do. But the idea of keeping the virus circulating in the community or passing it to someone I know is way more powerful. I imagine there's a lot of people like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Just as 9/11 changed how we live i think this global outbreak will change the world and how we all live

As for our leaders...totally spineless. Bet Leo still waits til Monday for his special meeting
    As things stand they have limited scope to do much, as they are a caretaker government. It's the DoH/HSE driving this.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

christy G wrote: »
    Hi I was wondering if people are stocking up on food and water ?

I’ve stocked up about a months worth, I started doing it bit by bit at the end of January. That’s when I bought ffp3 masks too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Probably more than 1 case going to be announced.

Deffinitely more than 1

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Maybe we can't handle the truth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Blueshoe wrote: »
    What do you mean when you say stocked up? As in how long worth of stuff?
    Enough for 14 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

BNONews tracker, Worldometer tracker both saying 7 cases in ireland now

They are using the irish times cuh as a source though so still a chance there will be more in the briefing

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Easter is in the middle of April.

Yup 4 weeks in school before 2 week holidays and Paddys day in middle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Make no mistake this is a war. Ireland versus the virus. Gov. Task force will have to cancel public meetings, restrict access in certain areas and regulate certain products now. Also mobilize the civil defense and our military reserves to enforce restrictions when necessary.

Government may also need to leave the Capital to protect themselves as well as keep functioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

The idea that you'd come back from a trip to Italy and just return to work as a 'health professional' is hard to understand. Do these people not be in touch with current events? They are presumably educated to be in such a role. Why be so feckless?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

I pray for us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Wouldn't be surprised if it's more like 10

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Your'e boss must be an effin idiot then. I don't see the problem. What is the point in giving someone remote working capability if you do not trust them to work remotely.

Try that when it's not used regularly and then suddenly numbers spike and it's not been tested

I'm lucky that I can do it.

Rather bizarrely we are all more productive working from home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Don't be silly Kermit. Chinese researchers have informed us that the virus in fact came from elsewhere.

I can't see any reason not to believe that.
    Bat to snake to humans I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This virus is really going to have repercussions Leaving Cert time. Trying to stop students coming in to sit exams when sick with flulike symptoms will be seriously problematic.

That's three months away. It will either go one way or another. Exams can be postponed, CAO and Universities will have to comply.

Best not to panic right now. Jaysus the candidates for LC are under enough fekkin pressure as it is. IMO. Leave them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Is it true that the 2009 H1N1 pandemic killed 150K people in the first year ???

How come there wasn;t massive panic with that pandemic ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Who knows how many extra cases, but we know we’ll have 503 errors here soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

saabsaab wrote: »
    Make no mistake this is a war. Ireland versus the virus. Gov. Task force will have to cancel public meetings, restrict access in certain areas and regulate certain products now. Also mobilize the civil defense and our military reserves to enforce restrictions when necessary.

Government may also need to leave the Capital to protect themselves as well as keep functioning.

Well for them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

BarryD2 wrote: »
    The idea that you'd come back from a trip to Italy and just return to work as a 'health professional' is hard to understand. Do these people not be in touch with current events? They are presumably educated to be in such a role. Why be so feckless?

In fairness it is cultural. I wouldn't blame individuals for it, it has also been played down while us have been 'hysterics' on de social media. Doesn't excuse it from a doc, but I wouldn't be too harsh until it has broken into the mainstream what we're dealing with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

I'm drawing lots on the numbers of cases that will be announced today ,pm me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

That's three months away. It will either go one way or another. Exams can be postponed, CAO and Universities will have to comply.

Best not to panic right now. Jaysus the candidates for LC are under enough fekkin pressure as it is. IMO. Leave them off.

Maybe online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Time for CloudFlare to sh1t itself.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

TomSweeney wrote: »

Looked it up recently. 575K people in total.

Social media not as prevalent!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,061 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I’ve stocked up about a months worth, I started doing it bit by bit at the end of January. That’s when I bought ffp3 masks too.

and it works??? What you doing to protect your eyes and ears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

wadacrack wrote: »
    Maskes are effective. Just the media claiming they are not due to a shortage.

https://twitter.com/chrismartenson/status/1235575722527412224

And btw there was an interview from the peekprosperity.com guy on a podcast I listen to which was recorded at the end of January - well worth listening to (it is a financial podcast but the podcast is about the virus): https://www.macrovoices.com/podcasts-collection/macrovoices-hot-topic-podcasts/795-hot-topic-6-covid-19-pandemic-update

This gives him a lot of credibility as what is said a month ago is still very relevant and he had already seen it would become a global pandemic when everyone still thigh it was purely a Chinese issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

The 'Doomsday Clock' was 100 seconds to midnight in January, I wonder where it's at now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Social media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

ZX7R wrote: »
    According to worldometer sight we have a new case that brings the numbers in the south to 7

Going by the newspaper reporting not from official channels

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Fatality was originally estimated at 20% of the population
    I spent many days drawing up contingency plans for my company

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Not even ten confirmed cases and one of our biggest hospitals is already cancelling all outpatient appointments for tomorrow. Not great.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement