Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

Naggdefy wrote: »
    If we passed on corona virus to the Royal Family...oh the irony!

Coronation Virus:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

saabsaab wrote: »
    Government may also need to leave the Capital to protect themselves as well as keep functioning.

They will have to clear the cobwebs out of the nuclear fallout bunker in Athlone.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/in-pictures-inside-irelands-secret-vip-nuclear-bunker-36285102.html

I remember when they tested it during a civil defense exercise in the 1980's and they couldn't communicate with it from the RTE TV studio when they were explaining to the general public how it would be the communications command centre for the country in the case of a nuclear attack or accident at Windscale (now Sellafield).

The last I saw of the bunker was a report about a year ago from John Creedon when he paid a visit on one of his 'round the country travel programmes. It didn't look in great shape then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Irish times have the figures before the official HSE briefing... A case study in how NOT to do PR from the HSE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    what about people returning from other EU countries, you don't think that is risky too? The virus doesn't recognize borders, it spreads in big cities, airports, small vil;ages. You can catch it anywhere in Europe now

That's the way it seems to be heading but most/all of our confirmed cases have an Italian connection so far? The Italians haven't had the gumption to strictly enforce restrictions and it seems neither have/ will we. Despite the fact that as an island, we were in a far better position to do so, albeit at significant cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

The guy in Cork hadn't left the country, so had to have caught through someone who is a carrier but not have them made themselves known to HSE, might not even know they are a carrier

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Do you want the current incomptent lot and Simon Harris to continue their disastrous handling of this?

We need more than a caretaker government who can make the hard decisions.

It's that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

7 in one day. Surely they cant keep towing the paddys day is ok line.

UK gov are telling anyone coming from anywhere in Italy to self isolate. We should be doing the same

It's gone from 1 to 4 to 7 in consecutive days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

wadacrack wrote: »

That 2008 study had a very small amount of participants, later studies have not had the same results, an excellent 2012 study by the University of Michigan which was CDC funded and the first to examine wearing masks before there was an infected person in the household found no reduction in symptoms for mask use alone.

It had a much larger group of participants spread across 5 different areas.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0029744

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Except the masks do not protect your eyes ears and lets hope your not fidgeting with it and contaminate them

Yes that is pretty obvious (I have actually mentioned it in previous posts) and no-one said wearing a mask alone is providing 100% protection.

But it doesn't make them useless by any stretch of imagination, and they greatly reduce chances of infection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Irish time have the figures before the official HSE briefing... A case study in how not to do PR from the HSE.

Cluster****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭spookwoman

is that 13 including the ones in the north?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

jarvis wrote: »
    7 more cases in the republic. OMG

Seven more or seven total?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,061 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Social media.

What went wrong this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

spookwoman wrote: »

No just the republic

Necro wrote: »
    We need more than a caretaker government who can make the hard decisions.

It's that simple.

Leo is one of the highest paid leaders in the world

Time for him to start leading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

This is going to take off. Contrary to the opinion of a large swath of posters here. Where's leo hiding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Seven more. 13 in total

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Seven more :(

7 more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

There was a fair panic about it. As others have said social media has played a huge part this time round but I distinctly remember being convinced we were fecked at the start of swine flu.

If ye can remember, were there any sort of world events (like say china shutting down half the country) that got ye more than just the numbers?

If it was just the numbers here I'd be way less certain it's a serious problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 inatissy

Speak Now wrote: »
    How can you compare ireland to a cruise ship? What would our population be if we were as densely populated as one??

Totally very very true, hopefully we're like Wigan with1%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

There was a fair panic about it. As others have said social media has played a huge part this time round but I distinctly remember being convinced we were fecked at the start of swine flu.

I remember my son was hospitalised because of it and I thought he was gonna die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Leo is one of the highest paid leaders in the world

Time for him to start leading

He’s not Taoiseach, people voted him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

seven new cases confirmed !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

spookwoman wrote: »

No I don’t think so. First and second cases were in “the east”, then family of 4 yesterday, plus 7 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

I don't think anyone would be particularly alarmed at this news if it wasn't for the complete ineptitude that is currently going on in terms of stopping it from getting out of control. The thing that is scary is I just don't trust this country to handle this well and feels like we could let this become a runaway train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Seven more. 13 in total

Holymotheragod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Bethlehem Israel under lockdown after a number of suspected cases

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Sounds like the ability and willingness to test people has increased greatly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement