Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Two flights arriving into Dublin from Milan and Treviso later this evening.

Fantastic, we'll take them all in.

We're ****ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Can anyone post link to briefing pleaseo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I have been following these threads for weeks now and just wanted to chime in. I think we are struggling as a nation here ( or the microcosm of Boards ). There are so many mixes of opinions all coming in to one area:

1) Lets keep going people, there is nothing to worry about everyone, it's the media who are scaremongering us, like thousands die every year from Flu, sure there were more deaths on Irish roads last Friday. This approach is very understandable and to a degree it is to be commended because these people do no want to let this break their barriers and just want to get on with life, fcuk viruses and this BS. It is also somewhat detrimental especially if this does become a problem, we all need to work as a force like the Chinese and try to fix this problem head on as best we can.

2) We are absolutely screwed and going to die people. Again understandable and I think it is unfair that people who are so worried and concerned get treated as hysterical scaremongering nuts. It is simply their way of approaching it and dealing with something which in the face of it is quite scary.

Naturally on both sides we have trolls and wind up merchants too.

Id like to think as a person I am somewhere in the middle. I want to believe we will get through this and it is not as bad as it sounds. However if it takes hold I dont want to lose family or friends, or god forbid get sick myself. One of the most frustrating things I keep hearing and reading is we will be grand it is only old people and sick folk... so what are we saying here? F them people , survival of the fittest is it?

I am someone who suffers from lung based issues and my wife has auto immune diseases, but right now I am trying not to lose the run of myself and expect I get sick and or kick the bucket. I am however building myself a little pile of food in the kitchen just to keep us going if we did have lockdown. If it means I get a chance to work from home life goes on for me but I feel massively so for people who cant work from home. People in trades, tourism, self employed are severely at risk here.

Now for the TL:DR part:

I respect massively our doctors, our nurses, our cleaners, our healthcare professionals in hospitals but I am wary of the HSE. I trust they are doing a good job, I need to trust that because the opposite is not good. It has undoubtedly come across like they are being flagrant and complacent with the ongoing cases in Ireland and potential cases. I can understand also why they do not announce areas specifically in fear of breaking confidentiality, but we may go beyond a point especially with the most recent case in Cork that they simply cannot keep this up. The public are going to demand they know where cases are appearing especially if we get community spreading of the virus.

Similarly the government's handling of this with the support of the HSE does seem like it is waning and putting more importance in maintaining our image, and not putting in place restrictions on travel in or out. They are evidently living in fear of a backlash, a down turn in the economy and a raft of insurance claims. The horse has bolted long ago and now we really need to make hard decisions to ensure the affects of this are kept as low as possible which I fear is not possible now with the daily flights in and out of Italy for nearly two weeks now.

If what the IT are reporting is we have another 7 cases, we are very much in the mix now of other countries where it will double daily if not more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Because H1N1 wasn’t a pandemic. This will be significantly worse.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_A_virus_subtype_H1N1

It was a pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

The CUH patient was treated in hospital last week and discharged, then readmitted again recently and tested positive. Not good at all, tracing becoming more difficult.

This is because the HSE refused to test anyone with symptoms.. plenty of people rang the hotline only to be told they would be grand or the hotline telling them to go to GP ... procedures should have been in place before any of this got out of hand.
    HSE only last week telling people not to panic as they weren’t expecting 1 or maybe 2 cases at worst. Still not making decisions on the likes of paddy’s day and flights landing daily from hot spots .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Because H1N1 wasn’t a pandemic. This will be significantly worse.

It absolutely was a pandemic. What are you on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

fr336 wrote: »
    Not sure where I'd rather be, in Ireland with much lower population density and potentially a lot easier to contain things, or UK with everyone crammed in on this island but with perhaps a slightly better prepared health service (I have no idea if my last point is correct, just going on what people have said here)

It's a question I am very much asking myself.

Do I want to be crammed in a city in Germany with a potentially well prepared health system or rather in rural Ireland where still very much enjoy outdoor time while self isolating.
    In the end, I probably won't have a choice because the travel will be too risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

7 more confirmed cases. 13 in total now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Thats 13 in the republic

6 in NI.

19 on the island of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

The CUH patient was treated in hospital last week and discharged, then readmitted again recently and tested positive. Not good at all, tracing becoming more difficult.

It was always going to be difficult with little to no information given out to the public.

If we knew case X was on flight Y on date 1 and travel from airport to location A then people could come forward.

It's too late for that now, we have community transmission for at least a week or two.

Harris coming out tonight telling healthcare workers to self-isolate after what happened in Clare is so frustrating, talk about reactive.

As the numbers stack up and if we are constantly told it's 5 in the East, 4 in West nonsense, that will panic people even further. As if we need more reasons to lack confidence in our officials.

This has cost us time that we needed to slow the spread, now it looks like we don't have 2 weeks. What a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

But how as you say it still has ways to get in so how does the mask actually help. Also most who say wear masks don't mention does and it will create a false sense of security.

It reduces the probability of being infected when being around the virus as it blocks one of the main infection vectors.

From a selfish perspective: if you can reduce your chances of being infected by lets say 80%, are you not interested because you are only looking for 100% reduction? I would take the 80%.

From a public health perspective: having everyone wearing masks significantly reduces the number of new cases each day. If you listen to the podcast I shared, they explain quite well that since growth is exponential, reducing the R0 transmission rate by just a few decimal points actually has a huge impact on total number cases after a couple of days. This gives more time to prepare for what is coming and avoid overwhelming the local health service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

fritzelly wrote: »
    Dr: 7 new cases in Ireland
    Reporter: Whereabouts
    Dr: In Ireland

Sweartagod I'm not even sure if this a joke anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Chong wrote: »
    I have been following these threads for weeks now and just wanted to chime in. I think we are struggling as a nation here ( or the microcosm of Boards ). There are so many mixes of opinions all coming in to one area:

1) Lets keep going people, there is nothing to worry about everyone, it's the media who are scaremongering us, like thousands die every year from Flu, sure there were more deaths on Irish roads last Friday. This approach is very understandable and to a degree it is to be commended because these people do no want to let this break their barriers and just want to get on with life, fcuk viruses and this BS. It is also somewhat detrimental especially if this does become a problem, we all need to work as a force like the Chinese and try to fix this problem head on as best we can.

2) We are absolutely screwed and going to die people. Again understandable and I think it is unfair that people who are so worried and concerned get treated as hysterical scaremongering nuts. It is simply their way of approaching it and dealing with something which in the face of it is quite scary.

Naturally on both sides we have trolls and wind up merchants too.

Id like to think as a person I am somewhere in the middle. I want to believe we will get through this and it is not as bad as it sounds. However if it takes hold I dont want to lose family or friends, or god forbid get sick myself. One of the most frustrating things I keep hearing and reading is we will be grand it is only old people and sick folk... so what are we saying here? F them people , survival of the fittest is it?

I am someone who suffers from lung based issues and my wife has auto immune diseases, but right now I am trying not to lose the run of myself and expect I get sick and or kick the bucket. I am however building myself a little pile of food in the kitchen just to keep us going if we did have lockdown. If it means I get a chance to work from home life goes on for me but I feel massively so for people who cant work from home. People in trades, tourism, self employed are severely at risk here.

Now for the TL:DR part:

I respect massively our doctors, our nurses, our cleaners, our healthcare professionals in hospitals but I am wary of the HSE. I trust they are doing a good job, I need to trust that because the opposite is not good. It has undoubtedly come across like they are being flagrant and complacent with the ongoing cases in Ireland and potential cases. I can understand also why they do not announce areas specifically in fear of breaking confidentiality, but we may go beyond a point especially with the most recent case in Cork that they simply cannot keep this up. The public are going to demand they know where cases are appearing especially if we get community spreading of the virus.

Similarly the government's handling of this with the support of the HSE does seem like it is waning and putting more importance in maintaining our image, and not putting in place restrictions on travel in or out. They are evidently living in fear of a backlash, a down turn in the economy and a raft of insurance claims. The horse has bolted long ago and now we really need to make hard decisions to ensure the affects of this are kept as low as possible which I fear is not possible now with the daily flights in and out of Italy for nearly two weeks now.

If what the IT are reporting is we have another 7 cases, we are very much in the mix now of other countries where it will double daily if not more.

No one gonna read that with the breaking news bud sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Ohmeha wrote: »
    It really is just absolutely fukin insane

Some seriously bad mistakes made from the start with this outbreak, it should be looked back as a lesson in what not to do and at a time when the last government have let our health service fall asunder the last few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Don't think anyone else wants to be involved in this either. Seem to be happy to let the caretakers deal with it don't you think?

Has Louise O'Reilly (the Health spokesperson in SF) made a statement yet? She seems to have been able to spout on every outlet up to now. But silence at the minute.

I only say that because SF have positioned themselves as the best deal for all of us now.

But Mary L is in self isolation so she knows the score, and fair dues to her for putting her family first. We would all do this.

But hey Louise, any statement!

Sinn Fein are cut from the same cloth as FG FF, career politicians. The political system and culture in this country is totally corrupt. Sinn Fein hasn't got the intellectual capacity to see what is coming down the tracks. More people here predicted what was going to happen and what will happen.

At Patrick's Day parades and ceremonies must now be cancelled. All large sporting events, has, soccer, rugby, Cheltenham should follow suit. Flights from Italy Ditto. Be under no illusions this is an emergency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

CFSaIPTWgAAFzoa.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

Is there any reputable source for the theory that warmer weather might slow the spread of the virus down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Naggdefy wrote: »

See above. 19 on the island of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Leo is one of the highest paid leaders in the world

Time for him to start leading

The PR Taoiseach has shown zero interest since the election. That much is clear.

Ironically this is a real opportunity for him to stand up and be counted instead of sulking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

That's almost 400 potential Typhoid Marys and there will be a hell of a lot more tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

No one gonna read that with the breaking news bud sorry

Oh I know bad time of the day Billy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

VinLieger wrote: »
    No she's not she was speaking in the dail today

Oh OK, missed that.

I will be castigated for taking things off topic soon, and I don't mean to go all political on this either.

Will button it for now, but those who know will know what she said about being at home with her kids and her husband. Kids in Scoil Caitriona which is closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

RTE: More details are due to be announced in the next few minutes during a briefing at the Department of Health.

I wonder if they will reveal the exact cities or let us guess again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ohmeha wrote: »
    It really is just absolutely fukin insane

Oh we can't stop flights from N Italy because Schengen this and peoples rights that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

piplip87 wrote: »
    Any word on the briefing.... I sat through the news in Irish but I'm drawing a line at Nationwide
    RTE just added "official" confirmation to their feed. The CUH case apparently is the only one not linked to affected areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Tomato1 wrote: »
    Biggest issue however is lack of flu-kits.

Staff supposed to don a flu kit when testing the patient.
    Then remove flu kit.
    Don another when cleaning the vehicle with spray bottle stuff.

If an ambulance has to transport. Both crew members need to don a suit. Crew members are to stay seperate. i.e one treats and one drives.
    No contact between crew members. The driver will have to meet the ED staff and then step back while ED staff + treating paramedic with flu kits move patient into ED.
    Then remove flu kits. Don another and deep clean vehicle with spray bottle + wipes. :pac:

Btw all ambulances only have 1 flu kit. :)
    Each call you're looking at going through 2-3 flu kits minimum if no transport required.

Being told we can't source enough of them.

Aye this is why the WHO are screaming 'you can't give up on containment' because you need to slow this down to give enough time to do just that: get the sh!t we realised we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

What’s the big hullabaloo about Cheltenham going ahead or not ? Yes there will be a mass gathering of people but not one soccer match etc has been cancelled yet
    Over 5 million people using tube in London daily etc
    If you call off a sporting event or all mass gatherings then the whole country should be shutdown it’s all or nothing at that stage
    It’s here now and within two weeks will be widespread

Yeah I cant see football matches, or other sporting events being cancelled at the moment.

Paddys day is a different story given the numbers everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

jackboy wrote: »
    Looks like it’s too late, it’s out of control. There was probably not much we could have done to stop it, but to not try is unforgivable.

You are probably right. The attitude of let's wait and see how it goes is just mindboggling. 'Ah Sure It'll Be Grand'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭josip

Y6spKsX.png

To keep the virus out or to keep it in?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement