Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Right I’ll say night now, as thread will melt when this breaks on 9 o’clock news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I would like for a journalist to ask them for details on testing.

How many tests a day are being done?
    How long do the results take?
    What is the max capacity that the labs in Ireland have for daily testing? Ie what’s the most amount of tests a day that can be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Love it that Cork is the only place that wasn't given a Provincial name.

Not East, not West, no it's Cork, CUH to be precise it seems. (Donegal is forgotten as always, god love them because they are North).

Hope all will be well for those affected. We may be next, remember that. Who knows at this stage?

Its because they don't know where it came from or how people got it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Bob24 wrote: »
    Shocker, central banks cutting interest rates can't stop a pandemic :-)

you can't fake health! Humanity is now sick and obviously less productive, the central banks think pumping in liquidity will fix us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

This is really wrong-headed. Ireland is so small that you should simply assume you will be in contact with people with COVID19 as it is now circulating in the community. The idea that you’d be safe in Louth or Donegal if it was in CUH is incorrect.

Containment is done, you need to assume it is circulating and that 12 months now roughly 2/3rd of the population will have had it with a commensurate death rate. That works out to roughly 40,000.

If we are lucky and really socially isolate it’ll be much lower but I can’t see it being less than 2,000 over the course of the year.

So there is no point obsessing over whether it is in Cork or Galway or Louth. It is in Ireland, it is in the community and you need to behave as though people you interact with on a daily basis have it no matter where you live.

OH fucc, the crazy posts are getting crazier

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Cannot stand the HSE

Too many jobsworths in there with no clue what they are doing, drawing down six figure salaries.

Should have been gutted when the Troika were here over a decade ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

ricero wrote: »
    We're in trouble folks. The HSE are incompetent. I reckon we will be over 100 confirmed cases by a fortnight.

Will be 100 surely sooner than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Andrew00 wrote: »
    The numbers are shooting up for a population of our size, compared to the numbers in England.

Shocking

Iceland has 36 in 48 hours! That is huge for a nation of 360,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

The number of cases quadrupled yesterday and doubled today and is still too small to gear up our plans with regards to travel in spite of the fact that there will likely be a flood of Italians coming in tomorrow.

Community transmission is now different to local transmission? He's right that ordinary people will take issues with his definition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Say what you want about the impending horrors of covid19, but I can't deny it's done wonders for my post-to-thanked-posts ratio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Oh we can't stop flights from N Italy because Schengen this and peoples rights that.

We aren't in Schengen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Are we going to need a TD to stand up in the Dáil to read out where these cases are actually happening instead of this the east -the west

Absolute clowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,450 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is this a pisstake, won't say where they are, expected it to happen, everything is grand wash your hands...

I'll have no skin left from washing and scrubbing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

ricero wrote: »
    We're in trouble folks. The HSE are incompetent. I reckon we will be over 100 confirmed cases by a fortnight.

You’re a supreme optimist if you think it’ll take a fortnight to get to 100 cases. We will get there much more rapidly than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

He can't even properly describe which case hes talking about because we've no locations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,637 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Community transmissions is not community transmission because we know where it came from

Jaysus these guys are incredulous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Them and their "low risk" bullsh1t.

Then today. "This was anticipated"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭circadian

Maybe the admins could put a note at the top of the forum of do's and dont's.

A mask for the public is pointless unless you are a carrier of the virus, when you should be indoors anyway.

A mask of relevant standard has been proven to provide some protection against viruses. Obviously good hygiene is also needed for this, there's no point in throwing a mask on and saying that's me sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

harr wrote: »
    “Confident of no more cases , travel ban wouldn’t help stop it .. still saying it’s small number and still in containment stage”

Do these lads really believe that people have confidence in them
    13 is a small number and only one seems to be community contracted. All the other cases can be explained.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Has the virus spread to Africa?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    In fairness, doctor him/herself should have known. Its the height of hubris..

Of ALL people he would have known the situation in Italy, AND that he was endangering his patients who are only seeing him due to 'underlying issues' ..

Should be strung up tbh

Of course according to the HSEs guidelines he did everything perfectly right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Is it just me or is that baldy fella in the press conference just parroting the same thing over and over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Is this a pisstake, won't say where they are, expected it to happen, everything is grand wash your hands...

Rte website says, 4 in the East related to travel in Italy, 2 in the west related to contact with infected person and 1 in cork with unexplained infection (presumably community infection).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Love it that Cork is the only place that wasn't given a Provincial name.

Not East, not West, no it's Cork, CUH to be precise it seems. (Donegal is forgotten as always, god love them because they are North).

Hope all will be well for those affected. We may be next, remember that. Who knows at this stage?

That’s the second time you’ve said that now - what’s your issue with Cork being named? Was Clare and Dublin not named with the other cases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I see the mass panic has set in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

This is really wrong-headed. Ireland is so small that you should simply assume you will be in contact with people with COVID19 as it is now circulating in the community. The idea that you’d be safe in Louth or Donegal if it was in CUH is incorrect.

Containment is done, you need to assume it is circulating and that 12 months now roughly 2/3rd of the population will have had it with a commensurate death rate. That works out to roughly 40,000.

If we are lucky and really socially isolate it’ll be much lower but I can’t see it being less than 2,000 over the course of the year.

So there is no point obsessing over whether it is in Cork or Galway or Louth. It is in Ireland, it is in the community and you need to behave as though people you interact with on a daily basis have it no matter where you live.

Bull**** numbers. There is absolutely nothing to back up that kind of infection and death rate.

There's enough people panicking without this kind of nonsense speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

Darc19 wrote: »
    OH fucc, the crazy posts are getting crazier

No darcc, just that some posts are based in an understanding of epidemiology and virology. Come back in a year and compare my numbers to the numbers then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

skimpydoo wrote: »
    We aren't in Schengen.

Common travel area or whatever the fück it is.

Any excuse not to control flights coming from a hot spot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Chong wrote: »
    I do believe though his hands are tied here and he is being hung out here to dry as a scapegoat.

Yeah he has the real air of pantomime villain to him alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

I would like for a journalist to ask them for details on testing.

How many tests a day are being done?
    How long do the results take?
    What is the max capacity that the labs in Ireland have for daily testing? Ie what’s the most amount of tests a day that can be done?
    Just being done. Terrible, dismissive response given, indicative of their inadequate testing capacity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement