Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Has the virus spread to Africa?

few cases in algeria (17) and egypt, morocco senegal tunisia

one in Nigeria, one south africa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

'We are naming cuh because we want to try and trace the cases' , Also HSE just now 'We wont give a timeframe of how long he has been sick and when he left hospital' ffs they need to cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Italian related travel, from what I've read. Would be odd otherwise for such a small country dependent on tourism from all over.

I was thinking of moving their. Will have to be the Faroe Islands or Aran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

circadian wrote: »
    A mask of relevant standard has been proven to provide some protection against viruses. Obviously good hygiene is also needed for this, there's no point in throwing a mask on and saying that's me sorted.

I would wonder what proven ability to stop anything other than dust the masks on sale have.

And yes the bolded bit why masks could be more of a threat than a help.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

No darcc, just that some posts are based in an understanding of epidemiology and virology. Come back in a year and compare my numbers to the numbers then.

Understanding or qualification?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Whatever about panic now, when the casualties start coming in is when it will really go into overdrive.

owlbethere wrote: »
    It's not containment phase any more when there's a case and the history can't be tracked to travel or a contact.

Let's be honest, it never really ever was

Seamai wrote: »
    Neither would I, my elderly mother attends a warfarin clinic every couple of weeks, I've just told her to stay well clear of it.

IWhat's your mother been treated for? Probably something like atrial fibrillation. Do a chad2Vasc score on her. This tell percentage risk of having a cardiovascular event.if your mom does not turn up to the warfarin clinic, she will not get any warfarin. Warfarin is quite a dangerous medication if not closely monitored.

Your mom is at way more risk of dying or been permanently disabled from a massive stroke rather than dying of COVID-19. This is an example of the panic that I feared would happen on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

The HSE come across so badly. Acting cagey, being dismissive, you would swear they were trying to do a cover up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Just being done. Terrible, dismissive response given, indicative of their inadequate testing capacity.

I missed it, what was asked and what answer was given?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Tomato1

Aye this is why the WHO are screaming 'you can't give up on containment' because you need to slow this down to give enough time to do just that: get the sh!t we realised we need.

We definitely can't give up on containment. Most of the hospitals around my region have set aside 1-2 isolation rooms.

probably under 50 beds in the country if I'd hazard a guess.

Unfortunately this pandemic is also having a massive knock on effect on other medical procedures and emergencies. The side-effects alone are going to have massive health implications.
    and we were already struggling with waiting lists and lack of resources. This is just the cherry on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Speak Now

tillyfilly wrote: »
    Boards.ie will crash in 5, 4, 3, 2,1 ....

It will from you posting that over and over :D

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

4 males in the east is that teenagers back from a ski trip do we think ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not his job this time. These are the lads running the show.

Not his job. He's the Minister for HEALTH!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 christy G

I’m stocking up on on Graham Norton wine and Easter eggs.

Haha better get a move on and get some Easter eggs before there al gone so

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

And people had the cheek to accuse the early cautious posters of scare mongering! Every man in the bar is now in this thread and we're seeing some real scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,061 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

DVDM93 wrote: »
    is there anything to be said for another mass?

No can not be that amount of people in 1 area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Seriously need to stop this east/West shïte now, I don't need the street but a town/ city is needed if they want people to really start to take it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

As regards hospital appointments you have to bear in mind that the prevalence of COVID19 in the community is now low but will rapidly ramp up and hospitals and hospital waiting areas are going to be high risk areas because of both the patient populations, the fact that doctors and nurses etc will catch COVID at high rates, almost certainly exceeding the rate of infection of the general population, and that these waiting areas have very poor ventilation ( in general ).

Right now the risk is low but it will rapidly climb.

What I would suggest is simply asking if you can wait in your car and get a call when the doctor/nurse is ready to see you.

I know I and several colleagues have started asking patients to wait in their cars and come in when we are ready to see them to avoid people congregating in waiting areas. It is a precaution which doesn’t discomfit people much, doesn’t lower the throughput in OPD much and should have a significant impact on transmission from an infected person attending for review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A while back RTE had one of their 'One Day In' programmes looking at how Ireland spends its leisure time and it included a look at a few survivalists down Kilkenny way. They have garages, barns and basements full with lots of non perishables, water, fuel etc and they possess licenced firearms and are handy at hunting, fishing and foraging.

I had a good laugh at them at the time. At the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

leahyl wrote: »
    That’s the second time you’ve said that now - what’s your issue with Cork being named? Was Clare and Dublin not named with the other cases?

Ah get a grip, in fairness up to the UHC case it was all East and West really from HSE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

As someone trying to get into the business of practicing law, I must say the public interest in releasing more accurate information about the case specifics surely outweighs any such concept of "patient confidentiality". The HSE must know this can only be damaging its credibility, the fact that they have not switched to a more transparent approach is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Haven't been able to listen but is he still sticking to the paddys day is ok line ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

irishgeo wrote: »
    What did people expect the HSE to do? Some of the talk here is just **** talk.

People raging about flights from Italy. All these people were irish. We can't leave our citizens to be looked after by other countries. Good to see the amount cured increasing. The snowflakes generation we have here is fuelling the panic. Only 0.00027% of the population are infected.

But we’re going to have 2/3rds of the population infected very soon.. despite this happening absolutely nowhere else, and most the countries with infections that we’ve seen have followed a similar graph!

But yes 2/3rd very shortly with 100s of thousands dead

A little piece of perspective and a deep breath wouldn’t go amiss here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

If you have it then you shouldn't be commuting anyway

Do you think people who potentially have cases and a sniffle won't commute?

Bill's have to be paid. They will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

The language changed in the UK a few days ago and we see how it’s exploding now. Same with the HSE today, real change in their tone of language.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭IQO

Me trying to understand questions from the back of the room

roeCayN.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

People raging about flights from Italy. All these people were irish. We can't leave our citizens to be looked after by other countries. Good to see the amount cured increasing. The snowflakes generation we have here is fuelling the panic. Only 0.00027% of the population are infected.
    Not everyone on those flights were Irish ..many were Italian tourists arriving for a holiday and many more arriving this weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭jackboy

So, you think people are snowflakes. A lot of us have older relatives. This is a devastating illness for the elderly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

It's becoming very clear that the UK is riddled with it. Was just in London and tremendous numbers of people coughing and sneezing all over the place, trying to convince themselves it's 'just a cold'. The vast majority of people who have it probably will never know. They'll keep taking the tube to work and infecting everyone around them and only vulnerable and elderly people will pay the price.
    I think this is the most accurate post on this.
    Look at the testing rate in Japan or Korea I forget which, massive testing rate has uncovered a multitude of cases, and the mortality rate of which is 0.5%.
    It is going to be detrimental to the vulnerable, because many people have no idea they have it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement