Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

banie01 wrote: »
    The fact that patient in CUH was a patient earlier in the week and previously discharged should be quite worrying given the incubation period.

The patient could have acquired the illness as a patient.
    He could have acquired it in the wider community.

However given that the HSE have said all personnel involved in the patient's care will be self isolating now for 14 days, with the commensurate loss of their labour!

The HSE really need to consider implementation of barrier nursing protocols.
    Whatever else happens, our medical and care staff need to be given the highest level of protection possible.

If that means being treated by staff in appropriate PPE, then get it in place.

Dr Honohan on RTÉ at the moment really is a Golem, their is no cogent argument for the stance being taken.

This means there will be less staff working increasing the workload for the rest of their colleagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Sharon taking her interview style from Sky's Kay Burley. Ask a question, then interrupt your guest when he's in full flow. Keep your mouth shut when the expert is volunteering information. It's not like he'll be giving interviews left right and centre..

Of course we are stuck for time, need to spend some time talking about the non existent government or the royals visit to Galway.... priorities indeed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

namloc1980 wrote: »
    People can't afford to be off sick. They'll still commute and go to work etc.

As this is a notifiable disease could people be made legally liable if they knowingly endanger people by going to work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

fr336 wrote: »
    I know people are worried but putting the boot into the Irish government and health service in particular may be anger just for the sake of it. Which major countries aren't having cases? Daily the rates are going up everywhere. It's not the Irish government's fault for this, I lay the blame squarely at China's door.

Because we could have prepared better instead of being in denial for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Where's Graces7? Hope she's ok on the island

Hopefully she is safer then most of us where she is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Are you that important, really, that you’ll risk your health and someone else’s, and someone else they’ll meet beyond that who may not be in fit fiddle?

I agree with this !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Can someone tell me the issue with naming the doctor? I would have thought it's well known at this stage, as I said earlier he posted a photo on twitter of himself skiing in Italy on February 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

leahyl wrote: »
    Well then I would imagine they mentioned Cork since the case is in a hospital....

They said cork because they had too,
    Couldnt announce a case and dont know where the person actually got it from and just pin it to east or west ireland cork wont be the worst city either with an outbreak, its crawling around dublin a long time id say, higher tourism numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

ITman88 wrote: »
    I think this is the most accurate post on this.
    Look at the testing rate in Japan or Korea I forget which, massive testing rate has uncovered a multitude of cases, and the mortality rate of which is 0.5%.
    It is going to be detrimental to the vulnerable, because many people have no idea they have it

Exactly. I bet if they somehow had a super fast, free mobile test and tested every single person coming out of tube stations in London, there would be thousands of cases found. There is simply no way on earth that a city of almost 10 million people, with multiple airports with flights landing constantly from all over the world, including virus hotspots in Asia and Europe, is not itself a hotspot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,727 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Have my first chest infection in years. Accompanied by a sore throat. Talk about bad timing. Would call in sick tomorrow but have essential work to do. Probably just a cold but would make you think seeing as I work in a multinational with workers from all over the World.

Essential work >>> Health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

gmisk wrote: »
    What the hell was that about?!
    Instead they jump to FF and FG pussyfooting around each other....ffs who gives a toss with all that is going on!

RTE is just a state apparatus , this would not fly in other countries bar maybe a communist state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

No darcc, just that some posts are based in an understanding of epidemiology and virology. Come back in a year and compare my numbers to the numbers then.

I’ve knowledge in those areas and I’m finding your posts alarmist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

fritzelly wrote: »
    When 51% of the population have it

50% plus 1 person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Gintonious wrote: »
    Listened to David McWilliams podcast and he had Professor Luke O'Neill on it. He explained things clear and concise.

I am not even remotely worried anymore now.

I recommend people in here do the same.
    Will give that a listen is it called anything in particular? Or just available under his name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sawduck wrote: »
    The government and HSE refusing to tell us where the confirmed cases are will cause more cases, it's going to get much worse and the HSE don't have a clue how to handle it
    Patient confidentiality. Some of us understand that concept!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

It's 9.14pm

The virus is contained aka "just a flu"

Kates playing hurling on the news and Will is juggling. Everyone is happy.

All is well here. Oíche Mhaith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Im not a fan of posts like this and held off posting til now but was told two people sent home and asked to isolate from a public service office in Nenagh

Was told early this morning.

Adding this to similar posts I reckon its in most counties now

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Have my first chest infection in years. Accompanied by a sore throat. Talk about bad timing. Would call in sick tomorrow but have essential work to do. Probably just a cold but would make you think seeing as I work in a multinational with workers from all over the World.

Cop yourself on, health comes first and you risk infecting us and our families also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,894 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

No one allowed to enter or leave Bethlehem from midnight. To be put on lockdown.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1235662300473946121

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,287 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Thr HSE are in over their head, they didnt have the live EU numbers that had been announced hours ago and I personally know there are 2 people who travelled from northern Italy that have been tested and confirmed positive that are 100% not in the 7 new cases announed today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Jin luk wrote: »
    They said cork because they had too,
    Couldnt announce a case and dont know where the person actually got it from and just pin it to east or west ireland cork wont be the worst city either with an outbreak, its crawling around dublin a long time id say, higher tourism numbers.

But the point other posters were making is that the HSE themselves apparently didn’t mention the names of the counties for the other cases

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Will give that a listen is it called anything in particular? Or just available under his name?

Can you give us a summary before it's to late

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

fr336 wrote: »
    I know people are worried but putting the boot into the Irish government and health service in particular may be anger just for the sake of it. Which major countries aren't having cases? Daily the rates are going up everywhere. It's not the Irish government's fault for this, I lay the blame squarely at China's door.

Their vague description of where the virus is located is foolish and they deserve some blame for that, oh and the fact they are STILL letting planes from infected areas land here is beyond stupid, they are to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

ITman88 wrote: »
    Understanding or qualification?????

Hospital Consultant. Have lectured in Epidemiology, medical statistics in University at undergraduate and postgraduate level in the field of medicine - given the day job obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

As this is a notifiable disease could people be made legally liable if they knowingly endanger people by going to work?

They won't know they have it. The only way to properly deal with this is TOTAL intolerance of anyone coughing, sneezing or sniffling. To make it completely socially unacceptable to be on public transport, at work or otherwise in public with an obvious cold or flu.

Won't happen because employers won't let people take paid time off for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

What the hell was that about?!
    Instead they jump to FF and FG pussyfooting around each other....ffs who gives a toss with all that is going on!

Plenty of time to show the royals shake hands with everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

So they haven’t a clue.
    It’s pretty obvious that the more testing you do the more cases you will find.

IE.
    It’s not true to say that there is one person infected in cork, Because that person didn’t travel to an infected region means that they got it from someone that has yet gone undetected, but is carrying and transmuting the virus.

So we can say with a clear degree of certainty that there are two cases in Cork, one detected and one not.

The ten people waiting on results in Cork would seem to back this up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

No one allowed to enter or leave Bethlehem from midnight. To be put on lockdown.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1235662300473946121

Israeli have great experience in this. Lock down will probably last years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Can someone tell me the issue with naming the doctor? I would have thought it's well known at this stage, as I said earlier he posted a photo on twitter of himself skiing in Italy on February 18th.
    Er look at some of the reactions on this thread the man's life would be ruined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Get Real

banie01 wrote: »

Dr Honohan on RTÉ at the moment really is a Golem, their is no cogent argument for the stance being taken.

In fairness to him, he's been thrown under the bus. He has input into policies, targets and goals obviously. But he doesn't control long term government policy or the purse strings. He can only do what a Minister and his team of anonymous advisors allow him.

It's the same across government departments, justice, education etc.

You don't see Dr. Holohan in the limelight when a new hospital opens, you see the Minister and politicians. For the bad parts, it's someone else's job to take the flak.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement