Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Chong wrote: »
    Question.. At what point are we no longer in a containment phase?

When the number of contacts of infected people that need to be traced is infeasible, and also when there are more very sick/dying people who need the attention of health services

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Gintonious wrote: »
    Listened to David McWilliams podcast and he had Professor Luke O'Neill on it. He explained things clear and concise.

I am not even remotely worried anymore now.

I recommend people in here do the same.
    Any chance you could give a quick summary of it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

This will go into overdrive tomorrow. Expect Cheltenham, Patrick day parades, all to be called off!! Which of course should have been called days ago. Sharon did well on rte, she and everyone else is getting a bit fed up now of Tony Holahans repeat talk. It's not his fault but time to get serious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

irishgeo wrote: »
    What's to stop the guy in italy driving into Germany and flying home from there.

Those tested? We dont have the figures for tests done? The figure we have is the confirmed cases.
    Stop scaring people.

No one is scaring people. We know older and vulnerable people will die. And you get an internet hard boy, who you'd probably go through like castor oil through sh*te if he was infront of you, calling you a snowflake.

You can come up with every travel scenario but if you stop 1/3 from traveling that's a success. We have 19 in Ireland, north and south confirmed with the virus. It's doubling daily. It's nowhere near the full amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Explain this 14 day isolation thing. After 14 days, ya can go back to work or whatever. Ya can catch it then no? What's the idea of the 14 days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Listened to David McWilliams podcast and he had Professor Luke O'Neill on it. He explained things clear and concise.

Anything credible is far better than a diet of rising stats and social media panic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Sharon is under time constraints on the news, youd think theyd make an exception for an epidemic.

There be cases every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

No one allowed to enter or leave Bethlehem from midnight. To be put on lockdown.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1235662300473946121

Tribulation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Listened to David McWilliams podcast and he had Professor Luke O'Neill on it. He explained things clear and concise

Can I ask, and I'm being serious, were you more worried about the effects the virus would have on you should you get it or on elderly/immunocompromised people you know contracting it? I haven't listened to the podcast yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

This virus shows the failings in the western world, people should not be flying anywhere right now in the world , wuhan should be replicated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Why? Are you going to avoid everywhere that a case is announced?

Since I have breathing issues I probably would

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

No one allowed to enter or leave Bethlehem from midnight. To be put on lockdown.

That's a nuisance I was hoping to find an inn for the night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

will it be open for easter? (i presume its busy around that time?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Have my first chest infection in years. Accompanied by a sore throat. Talk about bad timing. Would call in sick tomorrow but have essential work to do. Probably just a cold but would make you think seeing as I work in a multinational with workers from all over the World.

Would you ever cop yourself on?

No work is that essential that you should be risking the health of everyone around you. You should never go to work when you're that sick, never mind in the midst of a global health crisis.

Don't be so selfish. Stay at home. Nobody cares about your 'essential work'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Jesus, Mary and Joseph

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Poorside wrote: »
    Seriously need to stop this east/West shïte now, I don't need the street but a town/ city is needed if they want people to really start to take it seriously.

At this stage, it's everywhere, you just don't know it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Allinall

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Im not a fan of posts like this and held off posting til now but was told two people sent home and asked to isolate from a public service office in Nenagh

Was told early this morning.

Adding this to similar posts I reckon its in most counties now

Nenagh eh?

Did they go home in an ambulance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,894 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Are you that important, really, that you’ll risk your health and someone else’s, and someone else they’ll meet beyond that who may not be in fit fiddle?

Told my manager today but he seemed unconcerned. A colleague was sent home for isolation as he had been to Spain within the last 15 days as ordered by the lead company we work for. Think the HSE only concerned with testing people coming from abroad and symptomatic has definitely lessened the chance of catching community spread earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Alex86Eire

I heard there were two cases in CUH. One a man in his 40s and a 15 year old girl. Only one made the news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

gmisk wrote: »
    Er look at some of the reactions on this thread the man's life would be ruined.

I can't keep up with the thread, what reactions? Everyone in clare must know his name at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Explain this 14 day isolation thing. After 14 days, ya can go back to work or whatever. Ya can catch it then no? What's the idea of the 14 days?

14 says before symptoms can appear. If you get symptoms then definitely not back to work. Otherwise yes

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

fritzelly wrote: »
    When 51% of the population have it

That’s incorrect. We are no longer in e containment phase when community spread is common. That might be after only a few thousand confirmed cases.

It depends on the nature of the spread and details of the cases. Eg. 1,000 cases in 10 nursing homes wouldn’t move us out of containment but 1000 separate cases in people living in the community could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Incubation period, after 14 days you know you either have it or don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Would you ever cop yourself on?

No work is that essential that you should be risking the health of everyone around you. You should never go to work when you're that sick, never mind in the midst of a global health crisis.

Don't be so selfish. Stay at home. Nobody cares about your 'essential work'.

Exactly. Ring someone now and they'll tell you to stay home

We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas

Lower interest rates and quantitative easing isn't going to solve this, we need to think outside the box and consider tax rates

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Hospital Consultant. Have lectured in Epidemiology, medical statistics in University at undergraduate and postgraduate level in the field of medicine - given the day job obviously.

What do you think of how Ireland is handling this? I’m not nervous about it. I’m just asking as I’m interested in healthcare science , biology, microbiology, disease, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The idea is that if you do have the virus you will most likely show symptoms within 2 weeks. If you do not show any signs after 2 weeks the chances of you having the virus is extremely low.

In the 2 week period the viral levels can be too low to show on tests.

Necro wrote: »
    It's only rumours... but supposedly a man in Boyle, Co. Roscommon has tested positive too

I made reference to Boyle earlier this evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

wakka12 wrote: »
    When the number of contacts of infected people that need to be traced is infeasible, and also when there are more very sick/dying people who need the attention of health services

So about 4 days before the HSE announce it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement