Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Italian beer ad on rte

Classic

They did the same yday :D I reckon some smart arse does it on purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ludo wrote: »
    So who was that I just saw on the news talking the Dail today? So much for self-isolation.

Well to be fair the last thing I saw of ML was in her hallway on twitter or something saying she is staying home with her kids whose school had closed for 14 days.

But as you say she popped up in the Dail today. But maybe it's just the kids that are in isolation.

Back to organising the rallies. Before the interest dies down with Corona V.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

leavingirl wrote: »
    About 7000 people die every day in the US you gobsh1te

And that’s just the shootings

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Explain this 14 day isolation thing. After 14 days, ya can go back to work or whatever. Ya can catch it then no? What's the idea of the 14 days?

Can take 14 days for symptoms to show up. Then you'll need more time off because you're still sick. Heard it takes about a month to clear up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

mojesius wrote: »
    Can you catch coronavirus in a swimming pool?

You probably can't catch it if you actively went out of your way to try and catch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭solidasarock

Thank god we had a short window of time to put some sensible measures in place and we can sleep soundly knowing our health agency hasn't been sitting on its arse the last 2 weeks picking its nose.

Oh wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

If you see faeces in the pool more than likely i'd say but it's one for the experts :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

fr336 wrote: »
    And people had the cheek to accuse the early cautious posters of scare mongering! Every man in the bar is now in this thread and we're seeing some real scaremongering.

Oh shut up. The kind of posts that have been targeted for scare mongering have been just that. Scaremongering worst case scenarios with 0 evidence to back it up or some twitter conspiracy nonsense.

People suggesting 70-100% infection rates and death rates as high as 20% is scaremongering.

People posting facts and giving sound advice have not been targeted in any way.

Stop with your us vs them mentality. It's not about 1upmanship.
    WHO says the expect somewhere between 40 to 70% of the worlds population to be infected over the next 12 months or so.

The UK’s “reasonable worst case scenario” is 500,000 dead. The UK government released this information on Tuesday.

If you translate that number to Ireland it ends up as a little under 50,000. Now it shouldn’t be that high but people expecting a just dozens of deaths are deluding themselves.

Those numbers are bull**** and I'll stand by that. Worst case scenario as in nobody does anything about it and actively tries to spread it maybe which is not going to happen. There is 0 evidence to back up that kind of spread from any region.

Most people even with slight precautions such as no hand to face contact and regular hand sanitation will not get it.

Saying **** like it's going to infect 2/3rd of the worlds population very soon is nothing short of total horse****. Disingenuous scaremongering crap that only makes the situation worse.

You're also using an inaccurate death rate with an inaccurate infection rate to make it sound way worse than it will be. It's bad enough as it is without this kind of nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Arrival wrote: »
    And this is why we haven't a hope, ignorant, selfish, stupid c*nts like that guy not actually considering the implications of their actions. So short sighted

Reported

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Will ring the manager in the morning and see what he thinks. The fact there is community dissemination has changed my outlook. HSE should have been telling us that there was a risk of it happening not ruling it out as they have been doing.

Just call in sick and don't be so selfish. Your manager is not a doctor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

gmisk wrote: »
    Just looking at the stats for Italy...41 deaths in 24 hours...that is a pretty scary figure imo

And yet we still have total braindead morons saying this is just a flu and people are scaremongering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Just back from the 3rd and final stockpile (until mid-summer). The chap at the checkout (of large supermarket) said they were starting to have supply issues.
    They had no tissue boxes anywhere in the store, and reduced amounts of dry goods 50% of normal pasta/rice etc.

Another store had (unwisely) a decent enough sale on bogrolls, while parking up outside, a dozen different people emerged with a couple of packets each and went off in different directions.

Maybe there's a bad curry going around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Well to be fair the last thing I saw of ML was in her hallway on twitter or something saying she is staying home with her kids whose school had closed for 14 days.

But as you say she popped up in the Dail today. But maybe it's just the kids that are in isolation.

Back to organising the rallies. Before the interest dies down with Corona V.

She did not say she would be self isolation.
    Her kids had to stay at home from school so she would be making changes to her schedule as someone would have to be at home to care for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I gave it a thanks.

You happy?

YOU HAPPY!?

moderately...will be happier come 7am tomorrow and i'm finished work for the weekend:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

leavingirl wrote: »
    About 7000 people die every day in the US you gobsh1te

and the relevance of that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

fr336 wrote: »
    I know people are worried but putting the boot into the Irish government and health service in particular may be anger just for the sake of it. Which major countries aren't having cases? Daily the rates are going up everywhere. It's not the Irish government's fault for this, I lay the blame squarely at China's door.

I don't think anyone is even remotely implying that the Irish Government had anything to do with the virus :pac:

strawman.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I wonder how many Irish people have flown back from northern Italy in the last 2 weeks ,, is it 12 cases out of 1000 or 12 from say 80 .

No way of knowing l know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

guidance received from the HPSC/HSE with regard to chlorinated swimming pools and drinking water. Extract below:

If drinking water supplies or swimming pools are being chlorinated in accordance with current recommendations / best practice is this sufficient to inactivate COVID-19 virus?

For Drinking Water chlorination, ‘current recommendations’ is taken to mean a Ct value of at least 15 mg.min/litre (for example exposure to 0.5 mg/l free chlorine for at least 30 minutes).1

For Swimming Pool chlorination, operating to ‘current recommendations / best practice’ means maintenance of a free chlorine residual of at least 1.0 mg/l (depending on pool type and disinfectant used).2, 6

Answer:

Yes - adherence to current recommended disinfection practice is sufficient to inactivate COVID-19 virus in chlorinated drinking water and swimming pools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Blueshoe wrote: »
    I don't know if I should say it but if the virus takes hold and leads to many deaths the flip side might be a lessening of the housing crisis?

Obviously when people are grieving it won't be mentioned but perhaps a few months after things have settled down.

Wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

frillyleaf wrote: »
    What do you think of how Ireland is handling this? I’m not nervous, I’m just interested in disease etc

Very ineffective. You can expect the government to say we are no longer in the containment phase within a matter of two weeks (or less). Then they’ll increase restrictions on social contact etc but the delay will have caused a lot more spread with long term consequences.

What we are seeing is information management to stop panic. You can’t tell people how bad things will get immediately. You break it in stages so people can adapt to the new reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

That's a bit morbid. Plenty of other things in life i'm sure you'd also be interested in.

Apologies, I should have said interested in health, biology, microbiology, etc as opposed to just disease, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

And yet we still have total braindead morons saying this is just a flu and people are scaremongering.

And we have morons not know what preconditions these deaths had, or what age they were. Scaremongering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,924 ✭✭✭✭banie01

San Marino has 21 cases and a population of 4000 people. Pretty high infection rate there.

Probably something to do with it being in Northern Italy ya know ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Great news, we are still in the containment stage :rolleyes: .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Balagan1

One secondary and one national school were closed in Clare for 14 days and two others closed just for today. Any update on the latter? Are they to remain closed tomorrow etc. Any news of further school closures in surrounding areas, secondary or national?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

tuxy wrote: »
    She did not say she would be self isolation.
    Her kids had to stay at home from school so she would be making changes to her schedule as someone would have to be at home to care for them.

I said that too. Read my post. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Very ineffective. You can expect the government to say we are no longer in the containment phase within a matter of two weeks (or less). Then they’ll increase restrictions on social contact etc but the delay will have caused a lot more spread with long term consequences.

What we are seeing is information management to stop panic. You can’t tell people how bad things will get immediately. You break it in stages so people can adapt to the new reality.

Do you think they can hold out until after Paddy's day?
    I'd say that's their plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Will ring the manager in the morning and see what he thinks. The fact there is community dissemination has changed my outlook. HSE should have been telling us that there was a risk of it happening not ruling it out as they have been doing.

I'm a manager and we're not doctors, all he'll do is refer you to HR or recently created self isolation policy. Get yourself checked by a doctor is my advice.

On a side note, managers are in a very bad position with this as some companies won't pay for the time the team member misses which make them show up to work (because they need the money). It's going to lead to further spread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Hadn’t heard the Shannondoc bit, but the family are known. That’s why the HSE changed their rules today, for staff coming back fro affected areas. That these rules on self-isolation weren’t already in place, beggars belief.

One would hope that your staff would be competent enough to not need be told such obvious things. It's a bit like asking the bus driver not to drink and drive. Sadly, it appears we have to. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,706 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Great news, we are still in the containment stage :rolleyes: .

Contain the information, but let the virus spread!

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement