Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,396 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

A doctor, who knew he was in Italy. A guy who was coughing and spitting all over people as he treated them, a guy who knew he had the ''flu'' still put 1000's in harms way. You couldn't make this up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Speak Now wrote: »
    Wtf

Just give it a few months and we can revisit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Firs two cases in San Fransisco, first two cases in Houston

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Phil.x wrote: »
    What's the odds, that from everday now at 7pm or 8pm the hse release a statement with new cases and ireland quickly becomes an epicentre for the virus in western Europe. The HSE CEO looks very worried.
    I hating this, but the government are doing nothing of note, we are going to overtake Italy in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

A nation holds its breath.

Literally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

is_that_so wrote: »
    Anything credible is far better than a diet of rising stats and social media panic!

Just listened myself, well worth the 20 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

ITman88 wrote: »
    Well if you are who you claim to be you really should know much better than posting worse case mortality rates on an Internet forum with obviously hysterical posters.
    Usually medical professionals don’t in fact try to increase panic among the general population

Hmm I did consider that but I felt the obligation to try to advise people to take this seriously was of the utmost importance. It has the potential to literally save lives when compared to the treatment as normal cohort ( iow, me saying nothing). Obviously people will criticise any action but I’ll live with myself better a year from now having posted this - and maybe some others will be around too who otherwise wouldn’t be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,647 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its great for Amazon

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Macho Bol*X. The percentage you quote is only those tested, tip of the iceberg. If you have elderly parents or a condition yourself you'd be concerned.

We could quarantine citizens returning from hotspots at the airport. If you ban flights to these areas there'll be no one to return.

Oh throw snowflake in for a few likes.

Nope. I’m in an at-risk group and nope. Part nihilism on my part but I’m also just not that concerned. Had hospital treatment today surrounded by other immunocompromised people. No signs of panic in the ward at all. Because we’ve all had much more gruelling things to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

banie01 wrote: »
    Probably something to do with it being in Northern Italy ya know ;)

Yeah. It is an independent country but I actually forgot its got Italy on all sides.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Pretty soon as well as a weather forecast there will be an outbreak forecast after the news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

hawkwing wrote: »
    If you see faeces in the pool more than likely i'd say but it's one for the experts :confused:

From my experience in pool plant I’d imagine from a chemical aspect it’s unlikely. You have free chlorine and active chlorine in a pool. The chlorine reading is then a total reading of all that. Once chlorine is in a pool it’s present to do it’s job which is to neutralise harmful agents. If for example a poo is present chlorine goes to work to break it down. While that’s happening there is more chlorine ready in waiting for anything else that becomes present. Besides that the filtration systems ensure most pools circulate all their water within a few hours. In a nutshell I’d suspect it’s not a bad place to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Italian beer ad on rte

Classic
    Seeing tonnes of moretti ads alright...it's nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I'm a manager and we're not doctors, all he'll do is refer you to HR or recently created self isolation policy. Get yourself checked by a doctor is my advice.

On a side note, managers are in a very bad position with this as some companies won't pay for the time the team member misses which make them show up to work (because they need the money). It's going to lead to further spread.

Yes my work if you are quarantine then you have to take it as annual leave. Some people with kids back from Italy didn't notify HR in case they lost holidays. Others are working from home if their kids were in Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Tomato1

A doctor, who knew he was in Italy. A guy who was coughing and spitting all over people as he treated them, a guy who knew he had the ''flu'' still put 1000's in harms way. You couldn't make this up.

The amount of HSE colleagues I work with who do not know how to wash their hands or use alcohol gel astounds me so colour me surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Just to remind people that anxiety increases the release of cortisol in your body which lowers your immune system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Reported

He was right though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Have my first chest infection in years. Accompanied by a sore throat. Talk about bad timing. Would call in sick tomorrow but have essential work to do. Probably just a cold but would make you think seeing as I work in a multinational with workers from all over the World.

So you THINK it's just a cold based on nothing but you are going into infect everybody else.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,061 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

This is really wrong-headed. Ireland is so small that you should simply assume you will be in contact with people with COVID19 as it is now circulating in the community. The idea that you’d be safe in Louth or Donegal if it was in CUH is incorrect.

Containment is done, you need to assume it is circulating and that 12 months now roughly 2/3rd of the population will have had it with a commensurate death rate. That works out to roughly 40,000.

If we are lucky and really socially isolate it’ll be much lower but I can’t see it being less than 2,000 over the course of the year.

So there is no point obsessing over whether it is in Cork or Galway or Louth. It is in Ireland, it is in the community and you need to behave as though people you interact with on a daily basis have it no matter where you live.

First and last paragraph not 2 bad a little irrational but the middle 2 bloody hell. 2,000 to 40,00 dead. You need to step away from the computer and take a deep breath. Hope someone remembers this post in a year and brings it up

I feel like I'm on the Titanic and there isn't enough boats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

If there were 40 deaths in Italy from a bus crash it would be near top news.

But is it because the people were all aged over 65 that they are in some way lesser people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

tuxy wrote: »
    Just to remind people that anxiety increases the release of cortisol in your body which lowers your immune system.

you've just made everyone feel 6% worse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I'm a manager and we're not doctors, all he'll do is refer you to HR or recently created self isolation policy. Get yourself checked by a doctor is my advice.

On a side note, managers are in a very bad position with this as some companies won't pay for the time the team member misses which make them show up to work (because they need the money). It's going to lead to further spread.

This is the reason seasonal flu,cold & chest infections are so dangerous to the population, people go to work at the beginning and only stay at home when it fully kicks in.

The amount of retail staff i've seen in workplaces visible sick(90% of the time cold & chest infections i'd imagine). I myself had been guilty of it in my time in retail...last place didn't have running water in the store, had to use communal facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

silverharp wrote: »
    its great for Amazon

Just thinking about how grocery shops that do home delivery will be doing a roaring trade soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Best thing to do now is isolate the vulnerable groups stat. Where to I don't know but they are an at risk group now.

Younger healthier people will ride this out, our parents and relatives and immunosopressed may not even if they are robust now.

Horse before cart maybe.

Very ineffective. You can expect the government to say we are no longer in the containment phase within a matter of two weeks (or less). Then they’ll increase restrictions on social contact etc but the delay will have caused a lot more spread with long term consequences.

What we are seeing is information management to stop panic. You can’t tell people how bad things will get immediately. You break it in stages so people can adapt to the new reality.

How do you see this playing out in the next 12/18 months? Will it permanently circulate within the population and also continually mutate so any vaccine that may be developed will be a 'best guess' type like you get for seasonal flu currently?

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Doyler99

504735.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Just listened myself, well worth the 20 mins
    Is this the David McWilliams podcast? It's coming up as 43 minutes long for me

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭Jenbach110

Hmm I did consider that but I felt the obligation to try to advise people to take this seriously was of the utmost importance. It has the potential to literally save lives when compared to the treatment as normal cohort ( iow, me saying nothing). Obviously people will criticise any action but I’ll live with myself better a year from now having posted this - and maybe some others will be around too who otherwise wouldn’t be.

F@#$ the doubters Walter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement