Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Phil.x

The Famine part II

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Grill him
    Ah Jesus we havent resorted to eating people yet have we?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I feel like I'm on the Titanic and there isn't enough boats.

68% of the people on the Titanic died.

(There were enough lifeboats for 53% of the people on board)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

“What are you worried about?”

“Well... I’m worried about getting it.”

Some great reporting there on RTÉ.

Seamai wrote: »
    Yep, atrial fibrillation but what I'm more concerned about is her pulmonary fibrosis which was more than likely a side effect of a drug she was put on for the A. Fib. She needs to be really careful with respiratory infections, a few years back she developed pneumonia and spent over a month in hospital, 8 days of that in ICU. Of late her visits to the warfarin have become almost weekly, I get what you're saying, I suppose like a lot of people I'm quite worried, not so much for myself. She's only one 3 members of my immediate family who are high risk and a close friend who has just started cancer treatment.

The powers that be are not inspiring me with confidence.

Yeah, to be fair, your mam.is in a high risk category. Just, need to be make the best choice for your mam which at this stage. Your worry is understandable and I feel for ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

owlbethere wrote: »
    And there isn't a strong government anywhere in the world to stand up and put a stop to it.

Vietnam 16 cases, all cured. Laos no cases. Cuba no cases. China has a handle on it.

Turns out Lenin had the right idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

UsBus wrote: »
    Sharon taking her interview style from Sky's Kay Burley. Ask a question, then interrupt your guest when he's in full flow. Keep your mouth shut when the expert is volunteering information. It's not like he'll be giving interviews left right and centre..

Of course we are stuck for time, need to spend some time talking about the non existent government or the royals visit to Galway.... priorities indeed...

Ffs, are you at the pont of blaming a news anchor?

The country has gone demented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I wonder what made them test him?

If it was just treated as pneumonia that then got bad it could have been radiology. It leaves distinctive scaring visible on CT scan. "ground-glass opacification "

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30086-4/fulltext

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

kevin12345 wrote: »
    Can I ask, and I'm being serious, were you more worried about the effects the virus would have on you should you get it or on elderly/immunocompromised people you know contracting it? I haven't listened to the podcast yet.

Of course I was.

If you glance over any social media platform or news site, you would think the plague is hammering civilization as you know it. So I did a bit of listening to actually doctors and professors and what they had to say, and low and behold the social media panic is utter tosh, and is just filled with panic and fantasizing of disaster.

In reality, many people will get sick, but far fewer will die due to the nature of this virus. It is only lethal to a portion of people who get it. People focus in on the mortality rate for instance than the survival rate, that should tell you a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Nijmegen wrote: »
    “What are you worried about?”

“Well... I’m worried about getting it.”

Some great reporting there on RTÉ.

Was just about to post this. State of that question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Some of the absolute head the balls on Prime time tonight. One woman hasn't left the house in 2 days!!
    Another ones afraid of her husband because he's "on public transport alot and he hasn't the sense to be washing his hands all the time".

This kind of thing really bring these ones to the surface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Vietnam 16 cases, all cured. Laos no cases. Cuba no cases. China has a handle on it.

His work on the Corona virus was light years ahead of everyone else.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    This is one of the great elements of the thread. The humour.

We're all going down together.

Let's keep the humour up.
    I've been in stitches with some of the posts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

wadacrack wrote: »
    An Irish doctor diagnosed with the coronavirus unwittingly worked a shift at University Hospital Limerick after not displaying symptoms of the disease.

It is understood that the man worked at the hospital last Wednesday after returning home from a family holiday in northern Italy, but neither he nor his employers knew he had been infected.

He is a member of a family of four patients from Co Clare - which includes two males and two females - who all tested positive for Covid-19 on Wednesday night.

It is the believed that the doctor checked with public health authorities after arriving home and was given the green light to work in the emergency department at UHL last Wednesday, February 26.
    I work in an Office, in a Financial Services company (who BTW do not give a toss about their staff) and even they had the brain cells at that date to direct any staff members who returned from northern Italy or China to self-isolate for 14 days

Beyond scary that this is our "health service"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

What's your 'essential' work' ? I genuinely curious as to what you think is essential work.

Testing that a 12 billion euro state of the art plant depends on to keep operating. Goodnight:)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

How do you see this playing out in the next 12/18 months? Will it permanently circulate within the population and also continually mutate so any vaccine that may be developed will be a 'best guess' type like you get for seasonal flu currently?

It actually isn’t possible to determine that at this stage. There’s been some really interesting epidemiological work done in Washington where they analysed the RNA of the virus in several people and by comparing the RNA and knowing the amount of genomic drift which occurs as the virus infects a new patient they were able to determine just how many strata of infection there had been and to get a sense of how many there might be in the community.

At present there are roughly 70 confirmed cases. But according to the analysis of RNA and genetic drift due to RNA mutating so readily as it doesn’t have the self-correction mechanisms built into DNA they figured there were about 600 cases and about 6 to 7 “strata/generations” of infection in Washington State.

Anyways bottom line the longer it stays spreading the more it’ll mutate and the more likely it’ll mutate enough to create a different strain.

The more strains there are the more likely it’ll stay with us seasonally. There already appear to be two strains, L and S. one is significantly milder in terms of morbidity and mortality than the other so being in a country in which only the mild strain circulates could hugely impact mortality rates for the better.

My sense is that just like Spanish flu and a few others this will run well into 2021 but then won’t be seasonal ... but that depends on so many factors that I can have a high confidence of correctness with that, just my best guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

"how has it affected you or changed your daily routines?"

"I now have to wash me hands 2 bleedin times a day"

State of these on Prime Time at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

gmisk wrote: »
    Is this the David McWilliams podcast? It's coming up as 43 minutes long for me

Yeah but first 20 is when the prof is on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Is this our guy on now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,061 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Ludo wrote: »
    So who was that I just saw on the news talking the Dail today? So much for self-isolation.

In fairness where she was today no virus would go god knows what they would pick up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Arrival wrote: »
    And this is why we haven't a hope, ignorant, selfish, stupid c*nts like that guy not actually considering the implications of their actions. So short sighted

This is why the HSE decided to protect people’s identity in so far as possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yeah but first 20 is when the prof is on
    Cracking thanks will give it a whirl tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

A well respected Irish doctor put it at 20,000 a couple of weeks ago here. I don't think people realise the effect of any spike in hospital admissions. It's not just people with coronavirus will die, other patients just won't be able to get help.
    20 more people in ICU and the whole thing crashes. We don't have the resources.

Exactly this. Yet some people seem to have their head in the sand and seem to manage to deny or ignore this. The death rate will be modest if the health service remains operational, and some of these people may not have a long life expectancy anyway. However, if the health service is overwhelmed the death rate will be 5 times that and many of these people would otherwise live for decades.

The difference between Wuhan and other parts of China is the evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

SF mayor has hinted of a possible widespread outbreak in the city.

I read that as the Sinn Fein mayor :D I was saying holy fcuk they're really taking over. In San Fran now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Grill him

Nah, stir fry

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Contact of contact can do as they please
    That's mad compared to my work protocols

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I feel vietnam is not reporting cases purposely. They are a huge tourism industry, and decrease would really damage them.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

What worries me most besides infecting my elderly parents is apparently it causes scarring on the lungs even if cured? That freaked me out as could be life long health implications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

gmisk wrote: »
    Ah Jesus we havent resorted to eating people yet have we?!

o-TROY-MCCLURE-570.jpg?1

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭roosterman71

xabi wrote: »
    Incubation period, after 14 days you know you either have it or don’t.
    tuxy wrote: »
    The idea is that if you do have the virus you will most likely show symptoms within 2 weeks. If you do not show any signs after 2 weeks the chances of you having the virus is extremely low.

In the 2 week period the viral levels can be too low to show on tests.
    Can take 14 days for symptoms to show up. Then you'll need more time off because you're still sick. Heard it takes about a month to clear up.

Understood. Just means feck all really! I get the thinking if ya might have been exposed, but once back to normal ya could be exposed again! Round and round we go.

My place of work has a 15 minute evacuation plan in place and will shut for 2 weeks at the mere sniff of someone in there having a potential chance of being a carrier

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement