Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,258 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Some of the absolute head the balls on Prime time tonight. One woman hasn't left the house in 2 days!!
    Another ones afraid of her husband because he's "on public transport alot and he hasn't the sense to be washing his hands all the time".

This kind of thing really bring these ones to the surface.
    It was her son who has special needs that that woman spoke about. Keep up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

that's because people like you are fcking stockpiling everything!!!!!
    Started early December as soon as news broke in Wuhan, and now complete. Which would have been the ideal situaiton for half of the population to be in.
    I won't need to purchase until after mid-summer.

The big problem now, is that everyone <7/14days, will start a sudden-surge purchase spree, and create a proper supply demand conflict (shipping can't respond to this action).

A 'graduated' supply chain increase (that I support/ed), is the ideal and perfect scenario, not what's going to happen now.
    I.e. the irregular, sudden and total opposite of sensible and 'graduated'.

At least there'll be a few us (more prepeared) not blocking up the checkouts.
    You're welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Some of the absolute head the balls on Prime time tonight. One woman hasn't left the house in 2 days!!
    Another ones afraid of her husband because he's "on public transport alot and he hasn't the sense to be washing his hands all the time".

It's an absolute disgrace that Joe Duffy hasn't been on liveline for the past few days. Could have been some of the best entertainment in years and he left us in our hour of need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Hurrache wrote: »
    Ffs, are you at the pont of blaming a news anchor?

The country has gone demented.

Overreaction all round.

Just think about it.

A doctor returned from Northern Italy and was allowed work in the most overcrowded A&E in the country has now tested for coronavirus putting lots of vulnerable people and their families at risk.

I'm pissed. The media need to be all over that. What an absolute ****ing sham of a failing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Do we know the age profile of the Newley infected cases?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Hey Miriam, who is the Chinese ambassador again..??😂😂😂 Say it under your breath one more time...!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

o-TROY-MCCLURE-570.jpg?1

:pac:
    I am waiting for the Troy McClure information commerical about corona...I doubt it will be as good as the classic ...lead paint delicious but deadly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Eh, it seems like a reasonable response to me. Also as i think someone pointed out, I'm sure she said it was her special needs son she was talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

What worries me most besides infecting my elderly parents is apparently it causes scarring on the lungs even if cured? That freaked me out as could be life long health implications.

Not necessarily at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I haven't decided what I am doing yet. It's probably a cold ffs. Edit I'm out of this thread it seems to be attracting the wrong sort now. And grow up with your passive aggresive ****e.

It probably is a cold but it might not be. You are being incredibly selfish. The wrong sort? Truth hurts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

A well respected Irish doctor put it at 20,000 a couple of weeks ago here. I don't think people realise the effect of any spike in hospital admissions. It's not just people with coronavirus will die, other patients just won't be able to get help.
    20 more people in ICU and the whole thing crashes. We don't have the resources.

Yes. Let’s say you need surgery but all the ventilators are being used with COVID19 pts. Well your surgery will be delayed and you may not live long enough for a ventilator to be free to allow your surgery.

Like, seriously, what do you think is going to happen to people with Cystic Fibrosis, Pulmonary Fibrosis, COAD, Heart Failure, AIDS, on immunosuppressants because of transplants, and those receiving chemotherapy when this spreads widely in the community? Those are all high risk conditions and they are quite common relatively speaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Will she talk to chinese ambassador

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

It actually isn’t possible to determine that at this stage. There’s been some really interesting epidemiological work done in Washington where they analysed the RNA of the virus in several people and by comparing the RNA and knowing the amount of genomic drift which occurs as the virus infects a new patient they were able to determine just how many strata of infection there had been and to get a sense of how many there might be in the community.

At present there are roughly 70 confirmed cases. But according to the analysis of RNA and genetic drift due to RNA mutating so readily as it doesn’t have the self-correction mechanisms built into DNA they figured there were about 600 cases and about 6 to 7 “strata/generations” of infection in Washington State.

Anyways bottom line the longer it stays spreading the more it’ll mutate and the more likely it’ll mutate enough to create a different strain.

The more strains there are the more likely it’ll stay with us seasonally. There already appear to be two strains, L and S. one is significantly milder in terms of morbidity and mortality than the other so being in a country in which only the mild strain circulates could hugely impact mortality rates for the better.

My sense is that just like Spanish flu and a few others this will run well into 2021 but then won’t be seasonal ... but that depends on so many factors that I can have a high confidence of correctness with that, just my best guess.

You tried to claim swine flu wasn't a pandemic earlier.

Feck right off with your attempts to pretend you know what you're on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

There are at least 40 more cases to be announced over the next two days. Our hospitals are proving not very suited to containing this virus for whatever reason. Many of these unannounced cases represent clusters of 6-10 people in various hospitals around the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Will she talk to chinese ambassador

Mad that she seems to be ignoring him for an age and a half. Why’d they bring him on to not bring him in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

295 days until Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

F**k off with your parade talk Miriam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Was anything said about the other cases they found today? Seemed at the press conference they just focused on the guy in CUH

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

There are at least 40 more cases to be announced over the next two days. Our hospitals are proving not very suited to containing this virus for whatever reason. Many of these unannounced cases represent clusters of 6-10 people in various hospitals around the country.

You're just a random number generator at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Our hospitals hardly have ventilation. They stink.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Couples on First Dates sharing food n kissing.

The virus
    The virus.

It actually isn’t possible to determine that at this stage. There’s been some really interesting epidemiological work done in Washington where they analysed the RNA of the virus in several people and by comparing the RNA and knowing the amount of genomic drift which occurs as the virus infects a new patient they were able to determine just how many strata of infection there had been and to get a sense of how many there might be in the community.

At present there are roughly 70 confirmed cases. But according to the analysis of RNA and genetic drift due to RNA mutating so readily as it doesn’t have the self-correction mechanisms built into DNA they figured there were about 600 cases and about 6 to 7 “strata/generations” of infection in Washington State.

Anyways bottom line the longer it stays spreading the more it’ll mutate and the more likely it’ll mutate enough to create a different strain.

The more strains there are the more likely it’ll stay with us seasonally. There already appear to be two strains, L and S. one is significantly milder in terms of morbidity and mortality than the other so being in a country in which only the mild strain circulates could hugely impact mortality rates for the better.

My sense is that just like Spanish flu and a few others this will run well into 2021 but then won’t be seasonal ... but that depends on so many factors that I can have a high confidence of correctness with that, just my best guess.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Mad that she seems to be ignoring him for an age and a half. Why’d they bring him on to not bring him in?

Trust genuinely to cause a diplomatic incident by disrespecting the Chinese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

It could actually take out every major A&E in the country.

Quarantine centres should be established.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,029 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yes. Let’s say you need surgery but all the ventilators are being used with COVID19 pts. Well your surgery will be delayed and you may not live long enough for a ventilator to be free to allow your surgery.

Like, seriously, what do you think is going to happen to people with Cystic Fibrosis, Pulmonary Fibrosis, Heart Failure, AIDS, on immunosuppressants because of transplants, receiving chemotherapy when this spreads widely in the community? Those are all high risk conditions and they are quite common relatively speaking.

Yes. People dont seem to get that the death rate depends on medical treatment.

Beyond a certain number of cases the rate will spike.
    It is not a fixed constant.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

295 days until Christmas

I can get behind this movement. :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

c.p.w.g.w wrote:
    The amount of retail staff i've seen in workplaces visible sick(90% of the time cold & chest infections i'd imagine). I myself had been guilty of it in my time in retail...last place didn't have running water in the store, had to use communal facilities.

Its because people don't get sick pay

You need to be out for more than a week to even get a payment from Illness Benefit (6 days to be precise, but they don't pay for Sundays)

I fully expect that 6 day period to be waived and payment increased as this gets worse but right now these are reasons people will continue to work even whilst sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Miriam is talking to the ambassador now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

BloodBath wrote: »
    Oh shut up. The kind of posts that have been targeted for scare mongering have been just that. Scaremongering worst case scenarios with 0 evidence to back it up or some twitter conspiracy nonsense.

People suggesting 70-100% infection rates and death rates as high as 20% is scaremongering.

People posting facts and giving sound advice have not been targeted in any way.

Stop with your us vs them mentality. It's not about 1upmanship.

Those numbers are bull**** and I'll stand by that. Worst case scenario as in nobody does anything about it and actively tries to spread it maybe which is not going to happen. There is 0 evidence to back up that kind of spread from any region.

Most people even with slight precautions such as no hand to face contact and regular hand sanitation will not get it.

Saying **** like it's going to infect 2/3rd of the worlds population very soon is nothing short of total horse****. Disingenuous scaremongering crap that only makes the situation worse.

You're also using an inaccurate death rate with an inaccurate infection rate to make it sound way worse than it will be. It's bad enough as it is without this kind of nonsense.

I'll take the educated opinions of a consultant doctor over someone who seems to be constantly posting in a fit of a rage, dismissing projections by qualified and relevantly educated people, with baseless assertions. What on earth qualifies you to dismiss any worst case scenario?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Ohmeha wrote: »
    I work in an Office, in a Financial Services company (who BTW do not give a toss about their staff) and even they had the brain cells at that date to direct any staff members who returned from northern Italy or China to self-isolate for 14 days

Beyond scary that this is our "health service"

My company (big multi) has been very good I must say, regular updates on travel restrictions etc, offering emotional support and all.

Test day tomorrow for remote working.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement