Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Irish hotels. Ya get a week in Spain or Italy for a few nites in a Dublin hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Were the parades not cancelled during the foot and mouth?

Yes, 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Yes. People dont seem to get that the death rate depends on medical treatment.

Beyond a certain number of cases the rate will spike.
    It is not a fixed constant.

Yes, I and others have been saying this all along.

The health system is almost like a chemical engineering process; inputs, outputs, pressure points, etc.

The knock on effects of this also apply to economics, supply chain, social reactions, politics...

I'm reminded of the introduction to the nuclear war movie Threads.

Big test for our globalised world.

And this is not the pandemic we have been fearing. This is not bird flu H5N1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Very balanced approach from Buswells manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Yes and that was an animal disease. Priorities like.

Yeah it was the agri business at risk, all the stops pulled out for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Guy on prime time sounds like Father Stone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I remember the swine flu hysteria well. The predictions were far more dire than what actually transpired. Does that not tell you something?

Yes the Swine Flu was not as serious as some feared.

This thread is about Covid 19 look at the deaths in Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

owlbethere wrote: »
    What is UBI

Universal Basic Income.

Essentially everyone gets a set amount of cash each week, no matter if they work (able to, or getting varied hours etc), or not.

It's a fixed (universal) amount, no other welfare is paid out, just this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

wadacrack wrote: »
    his is what's after happening!!

**To put it into context. We are now where Italy was two weeks ago**

An Irish doctor diagnosed with the coronavirus unwittingly worked a shift at University Hospital Limerick after not displaying symptoms of the disease.

It is understood that the man worked at the hospital last Wednesday after returning home from a family holiday in northern Italy, but neither he nor his employers knew he had been infected.

He is a member of a family of four patients from Co Clare - which includes two males and two females - who all tested positive for Covid-19 on Wednesday night.

It is the believed that the doctor checked with public health authorities after arriving home and was given the green light to work in the emergency department at UHL last Wednesday, February 26.

It is believed that the doctor worked a full-shift on the day, coming into contact with large volumes of patients, their relatives, and staff.The shift began Wednesday afternoon and finished later that night.

There were 36 patients languishing on trolleys in the Limerick emergency department plus a further 29 patients on trolleys on wards on the same day.

UHL was the most overcrowded hospital in the country on February 26th, when the doctor showed up for work with a total of 65 patients on trolleys.

On Wednesday night when the four cases were confirmed there were 55 patients on trolleys in total.

Immediately proper protocols were implemented, and a section of the ED was closed, and patients moved out of the unit to allow for it to be cleaned.

Ambulances were informed not to transport patients to UHL’s 24-hour emergency department while the newly opened accident and emergency unit was being cleaned.

Sources said they were concerned for their health and for their families health.
    They also expressed fear that they would be sacked for disclosing information to the media.“He was told he was okay to work by public health authorities.”

Staff have been “sent off to be swabbed as they were working the same day as (the doctor)”.

“It’s a chaotic situation because he came home and spoke to public health, and then he came in to the hospital and did his shift last Wednesday.

"His wife and daughter then became symptomatic two days later.”The four patents confirmed as having Covid-19 have been placed in “isolation bays” which are “completely self-contained.”

Management have informed staff that proper protocols are in place and they have begun efforts to contain the virus and to trace those who may have been in contact with the doctor who was working in the hospital last Wednesday.

“This all kicked off last night because they closed down part of the Emergency Department and told ambulance to go ‘off-call’. Staff were sent home that were working on the same day as he was.

“The situation is evolving. There are two males and two females. The hospital is trying to track down those who may have been in contact with the doctor.

”Staff are “worried” but were told that “if they take the right precautions and measures they should be absolutely fine.

“It’s a week ago that he was in the emergency department. The hospital is now conducting traceability and containment protocols.”"Staff are looking for answers and reassurance and clarity.”Staff treating the four patients with the virus are “gowned up, wearing gloves, masks and eye goggles”.

Another source said: “As I understand it at the moment, they are conducting traceability and protocols in relation to who may or who may not have come into contact with patients.”

It dates back to last Wednesday when an individual presented in the ED. There are real concerns now about this spreading fast.

The source said management at the hospital have been “interacting with staff and setting out protocols.

“There are concerns in relation to the containment of the virus. Any frontline staff would be first to be exposed.”

What happens next is the “sixty-four million dollar question”, and largely depends on how well the virus is contained in the hospital, they said.

“To put it into context. We are now where Italy was two weeks ago.”

Who do we blame for this ? The Government for not implementing tuff rules or do you blame the Doctor??

He may also have lectured at a local third level institution. UL made an announcement today about contingency planning. The note mentioned that partial or full closure plans being prepared. May hear more tomorrow.

It is looking increasingly likely that we may have 'walking cases' (brought from outside) all over the country. Given that many trips to Italy appear to have been around the mid term break. This weekend would mark the 14 day isolation window for that time window so the next few days will tell a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,639 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I wonder where to two cases in the West was, possibly the same Clare area or Galway.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Nijmegen wrote:
    The public service looked after but government can’t say how regular joes will be looked after.

Probably with public sector workers in quarantine processing forms for regular joes.

It's either that or UBI for everyone and I know which one is easier to implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Nice one Eoghan. Economic life more important than actual lives. Snout in the trough dictating as usual with these people.

The spice must flow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,637 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

But, bottom line the death rate isn’t the 15% some scaremongers are quoting and it won’t even be the 3.4% that WHO has recently stated - this is due to some statistical issues I won’t waste time going into here.

Glad we have someone more qualified on boards in these fields than those amateurs in the WHO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

owlbethere wrote: »
    What is UBI

Universal basic income

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Were the parades not cancelled during the foot and mouth?

Postponed I think.

Anyway even a postponement would be good now, and might make the Festival going forward take place on the JUNE Bank holiday weekend. Longer days and warmer all round. What's not to like?

Failte Ireland need to take the lead here. They are a good entity AFAIS re the Wild Atlantic Way and other initiatives. We shall see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Cultural side of the country....
    What watching a few tractor n trailers crawling along in the pissing rain...???
    Then every teenager getting polluted drunk before puking and pissing themselves up the main Street.... If there was never a Paddy's Day parade again, I could live without it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

SF mayor has hinted of a possible widespread outbreak in the city.

I read this as 'Sinn Fein mayor'.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Nice one Eoghan. Economic life more important than actual lives. Snout in the trough dictating as usual with these people.

But where on earth is the logic in shutting down the Parade and leaving everything else open??

If you cancel the parade, then you have to close all schools, offices, sporting events and public events the following day as well and for weeks afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

tillyfilly wrote: »
    Are these Pollyanna analysts ever going to wake up and realize we are in uncharted deep waters

"It's the economy stupid".
    They're doing everything in their power to reduce disruption for as long as possible and keep panic down.
    Preventing the spread of the virus is less important to them. Theyre not willing to take draconian actions like grounding flights, so are focusing on managing it rather than preventing it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It started out at 15% and has fallen hugely to about 1-2% due to a combination of

A. Actually diagnosing more people with it now where those people were undiagnosed before this inflating the mortality rate.

B. They have learned what works in treatment. You have to remember this was a brand new illness no-one has ever seen before a few months ago.

But, bottom line the death rate isn’t the 15% some scaremongers are quoting and it won’t even be the 3.4% that WHO has recently stated - this is due to some statistical issues I won’t waste time going into here.

Bottom line 1 - 2 % of all infected individuals so long as the ventilators have capacity. It’ll increase if and when they are fully occupied obviously.

Yeah, I'm thinking around 1pc or under, but concerned about how it could rise when health systems are overcome.

Any thoughts of the 17 to 20pc cases is serious/critical?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I remember the swine flu hysteria well. The predictions were far more dire than what actually transpired. Does that not tell you something?

Swine flu hysteria? It killed half a million people you know. I am not joking.

Given that it infected nearly 20% of the world's population, that's not an incredibly bad fatality rate.

I had not realized that containment of swine flu simply failed. Attitudes like yours need to be curtailed or ignored. All pandemics start with a single individual. The longer it takes for people to take it seriously the more difficult it is to do anything about it.

It looks likely that it is too late in relation to covid-19. Hopefully it doesn't do well in warm weather. Given the lack of southern hemisphere and african cases currently, that may be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

UsBus wrote: »
    Then every teenager getting polluted drunk before puking and pissing themselves up the main Street.... If there was never a Paddy's Day parade again, I could live without it...

He needed to add some thin veneer atop the money angle. Basically “screw anyone who dies of it, won’t be me, but I don’t want to lose any cash.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Not sure but H1N1 wasn't that bad, it likely didn't have a (COVID19) 3.4% fatality rate. Maybe a different type of flu (symptoms and complications not as bad)?

Know a couple of people that had it, much the same as the standard Inf A/B. About 2 weeks out of action, then back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Nijmegen wrote: »
    The public service looked after but government can’t say how regular joes will be looked after.

In all seriousness what do you think the vast majority of public servants are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Balagan1

UsBus wrote: »

Beautifully put!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

"It's the economy stupid".
    They're doing everything in their power to reduce disruption for as long as possible and keep panic down.
    Preventing the spread of the virus is less important to them. Theyre not willing to take draconian actions like grounding flights, so are focusing on managing it rather than preventing it.

Our leaders have become managers

Like an Adam Curtis docu
    But we have paid a price for this: without realising it we, and our leaders, have given up the old progressive dreams of changing the world and instead become like managers – seeing ourselves as components in a system, and believing our duty is to help that system balance itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

It tells me that actions taken to prevent spread did well AND we got lucky. I hope the same happens this time but there’s no guarantee and the more seriously we take it and take precautions the more likely we are to have low death rates.

But what seems to happen here is that valid points are picked to death rather than incorporated into the range of possible outcomes - outcomes which become more likely if we adopt blinkers.

Anyways I wish you all the best of luck and outcomes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

In general for a healthy adult how bad has it been?

Are there any cases of it effecting people without underling illness badly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

ITman88 wrote: »
    Well if you are who you claim to be you really should know much better than posting worse case mortality rates on an Internet forum with obviously hysterical posters.
    Usually medical professionals don’t in fact try to increase panic among the general population

That poster has said a few things that don’t ring true. Personally don’t believe they are a doctor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement