Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,894 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Balagan1 wrote: »
    Beautifully put!

If a two hour parade is "unsafe", then everything is unsafe : stadiums, theatres, buses, trains, schools, offices etc

I actually agree with him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Just on another fitness forum and someone was saying how they don't care and that their immune system is good. Em.... nobody has immunity and you may pass it on to a vulnerable group. Ah the arrogance of youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

bennyl10 wrote: »
    In all seriousness what do you think the vast majority of public servants are?

Well isolated from events that end in private sector workers earning the scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    In general for a healthy adult how bad has it been?

Are there any cases of it effecting people without underling illness badly?

80% of all people present as mild symptoms.

The vast vast majority of us won’t get the illness,
    and of that minority that do,
    the majority of them are fine in the main.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

With all of the virus excitement going on I'm just wondering have we forgotten that we don't have a government ? Or does that matter anymore. Seems to have disappeared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Low risk if under 65/70.
    I think a lot of the younger categories had a death rate at roughly 0.2%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I read this as 'Sinn Fein mayor'.:o

Me too. (But I Know it refers to San Francisco US).

But not a word from Louise O'Reilly up to now. Disappointed, I thought as Sinn Fein Health spokesperson she would say something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,029 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Strazdas wrote: »
    If a two hour parade is "unsafe", then everything is unsafe : stadiums, theatres, buses, trains, schools, offices etc

I actually agree with him

Italy just did deem most of those things unsafe.
    And we have to start somewhere.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Well isolated from events that end in private sector workers earning the scratch.

Nurses are well isolated? Well isolated from a virus?
    Teachers that deal with children all day, are well isolated?

Don’t turn this into a public v private thing because there is zero point or actual fact to back up anything.
    There is as many public sector people who have means to be well protected as there are private.

And there aren’t as many private sector people in direct like of fire from this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

80% of all people present as mild symptoms.

The vast vast majority of us won’t get the illness,
    and of that minority that do,

the majority of them are fine in the main.

And this is based on nothing but if it makes anybody reading it feel better so be it.

It's a pandemic most of us are going to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Someone on the telly box said things like high blood pressure can be worse with this virus that say asthma (may need confirmed, as sounded a bit strange when heard it).

Reckon maybe 30-40% of the Island have some slight issues, Ireland has massive obesity levels, smokers, drinkers, takeaway fatty food and bing snack eaters. Diabetes, poor circulation, lack of exercise and so on....

Risks start to move upwards for over 40/50/60/70/80 etc.
    30's and below and healthy already should be totally fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

fritzelly wrote: »
    Glad we have someone more qualified on boards in these fields than those amateurs in the WHO

Sigh. I’m not saying I’m. Ore qualified than WHO. Even their deputy director general made the point I’m making in an interview yesterday.

Honestly, since the 3.4% figure includes the period of time when the initial high mortality rate of 15% was calculated due to the lack of testing of people infected but not so unwell they needed hospital it is clear that the 3.4% figure is skewed upward by the inclusion of this period of time.

This isn’t controversial and even the deputy director of WHO made this point in interview yesterday.

Really, lots of people here are complaining about not being given enough information by medical professionals and then when you are you either ignore it or just nitpick whilst avoiding seeing the wood for the trees.

Anyways as I said I wish you the best luck and outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Nijmegen wrote: »
    The public sector is open to all the great utopia that it is....lol
    I make significantly less in public sector than I would in private sector but hey I made my choice.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Just on another fitness forum and someone was saying how they don't care and that their immune system is good. Em.... nobody has immunity and you may pass it on to a vulnerable group. Ah the arrogance of youth.

Are you sure aout that? Many people not contracting the virus might be doing so precisely because they have a strong immune system (fx how come 1m or 2m people don't have a cold in Ireland at the same time?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

WHO say it is not.......

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm thinking around 1pc or under, but concerned about how it could rise when health systems are overcome.

Any thoughts of the 17 to 20pc cases is serious/critical?

Thoughts about them in what sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

"It's the economy stupid".
    They're doing everything in their power to reduce disruption for as long as possible and keep panic down.
    Preventing the spread of the virus is less important to them. Theyre not willing to take draconian actions like grounding flights, so are focusing on managing it rather than preventing it.
    Exactly putting aside the more important human cost, they are kicking the can down the road on the economic and fiscal costs which is what Irish governments have been exemplary at over the decades

And this is based on nothing but if it makes anybody reading it feel better so be it.

It’s based on figures we currently have, where in No country has a majority of the population been infected.

On current figures, world wide, every country, the majority will not be infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Nurses are well isolated? Well isolated from a virus?
    Teachers that deal with children all day, are well isolated?

Don’t turn this into a public v private thing because there is zero point or actual fact to back up anything.
    There is as many public sector people who have means to be well protected as there are private.

And there aren’t as many private sector people in direct like of fire from this

Yeah the vast majority of public servants aren’t nurses or other frontline workers. But here we have another example of govt immediately looking after them without having any specific measures in place for private sector workers, only vague promises. Fact is that today a person in public sector can isolate themselves without risk to their income, while a private sector worker will have to take the risk because they can’t afford 6 days waiting to get the scratch.

It’s not so much private vs public as government being able to get themselves together quickly for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

As a doctor who obviously knew about the viral outbreak, he should know that viruses take time to develop and he felt sick and continued on going into work dealing with sick patients.

We're ****ed if the HSE are continuing their bull**** and telling people they're grand unless they show symptoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭omerin

I cant understand why Harris is still in situ, actually i can and it is because our leader hasnt a backbone and the opposition couldnt organise a piss up at a brewery. If there wont be a government in place for possibly a few months, surely now is the time to replace him with soneone that is competent before he ****s up this aswell. We need someone with the cohonas to drive this and not someone who is never slow for a soundbite but lacks everywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I think the US are in the worst shape of all western countries.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Italy just did deem most of those things unsafe.
    And we have to start somewhere.

Why start with the parade if we're in such peril? The thing lasts for about two hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

I read this as 'Sinn Fein mayor'.:o

Sinn Fein have ruled out Coronavirus for those on the housing waiting list, the unemployed and low earners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭giveitholly

omerin wrote: »
    I cant understand why Harris is still in situ, actually i can and it is because our leader hasnt a backbone and the opposition couldnt organise a piss up at a brewery. If there wont be a government in place for possibly a few months, surely now is the time to replace him with soneone that is competent before he ****s up this aswell. We need someone with the cohonas to drive this and not someone who is never slow for a soundbite but lacks everywhere else

Simon Harris is only the person put out in front of the cameras,he is not the person making the decisions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Just throwing this out there as maybe some unfortunate might be in the same position.

One of the lads in work (UK based) went to northern Italy on a skiing holiday mid Feb, came back early last week. He, his wife and daughter all very sick with a flu like illness, very productive cough and high temperature.

Went into self isolation and reported themselves to the NHS, had blood test earlier this week and results yesterday, all negative for COVID.

An odd coincidence, we all had him down as having it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

It started out at 15% and has fallen hugely to about 1-2% due to a combination of

A. Actually diagnosing more people with it now where those people were undiagnosed before this inflating the mortality rate.

B. They have learned what works in treatment. You have to remember this was a brand new illness no-one has ever seen before a few months ago.

But, bottom line the death rate isn’t the 15% some scaremongers are quoting and it won’t even be the 3.4% that WHO has recently stated - this is due to some statistical issues I won’t waste time going into here.

Bottom line 1 - 2 % of all infected individuals so long as the ventilators have capacity. It’ll increase if and when they are fully occupied obviously.

Do many end up in hospital on ventilators as opposed to fighting it at home yourself do you know ?

gmisk wrote: »
    Low risk if under 65/70.
    I think a lot of the younger categories had a death rate at roughly 0.2%

In China for the last figures I saw they had no deaths in children under 10 and only one death in individuals between 11 and 19.

So, mortality just creeps up with every ten year stratum of age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,287 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

gabeeg wrote: »
    I think the US are in the worst shape of all western countries.

The orange one was out today telling people to work through it on his hunch the death stats arent really that bad....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement