Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

gmisk wrote: »
    Low risk if under 65/70.
    I think a lot of the younger categories had a death rate at roughly 0.2%

Which if your figure is correct is twice the mortality of flu, which almost exclusively kills the elderly and otherwise vulnerable. So the consolation in your post is that if infected you are young and fit you are only twice as likely to die of Covid-19 as an octogenarian diabetic is to die of seasonal flu. I'll pass, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Blueshoe wrote: »
    With all of the virus excitement going on I'm just wondering have we forgotten that we don't have a government ? Or does that matter anymore. Seems to have disappeared

Northern Ireland have survived without one. Maybe we'd be better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭solidasarock

https://www.rte.ie/news/post/103348890/

Was the HSE on a 2 week holiday and is only now catching up on their paperwork or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Strazdas wrote: »
    But where does it stop then? Ireland is not northern Italy.

The only country that has so far contained a major outbreak is China (and even then, it’s not stopped).

They welded people into their apartments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Latest from the motherland

214,w=756,q=high,c=0.bild.gif

What’s the grey 1 in the middle. I’m moving there!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Dawn of the Dead.

Off to Dundrum Shopping Centre

Don't worry. Iodine tablets, Strepsils and a naggin of Jameson will sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

De fatherland surrendered when it got to 20 cases, perhaps it wouldn't have been so bad if used better controls. Even a delay helps, assuming June heatwave and dry spell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Balagan1

Yes, but the logical conclusion is you then have to ban all large public gatherings before and after March 17th. How can Croke Park, the Aviva or the 3 Arena be safe if the parade is "unsafe".

They aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

214,w=756,q=high,c=0.bild.gif

Interesting that the vast majority of cases are in 2 or 3 areas really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

But where does it stop then? Ireland is not northern Italy.
    Not yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

I find it interesting that we haven't heard from any patients really.

Now I know that one doesn't really want reporters going into containment areas and all, but even so.

Are those hospitalized in ICU or just isolation? Are those who have recovered (which are very many) without any long term health implications (I believe this was an issue with SARS)

I was reading a study today in which they isolated it from a “cured” patients cerebrospinal fluid so that speaks to both the risk of encephalitis ( which he had ) and it finding reservoirs within “cured individuals” who could then either relapse or potentially spread it again.

Too early to tell but finding it in the CSF is both interesting and a bit frightening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Swine flu hysteria? It killed half a million people you know. I am not joking.

Given that it infected nearly 20% of the world's population, that's not an incredibly bad fatality rate.

I had not realized that containment of swine flu simply failed. Attitudes like yours need to be curtailed or ignored. All pandemics start with a single individual. The longer it takes for people to take it seriously the more difficult it is to do anything about it.

It looks likely that it is too late in relation to covid-19. Hopefully it doesn't do well in warm weather. Given the lack of southern hemisphere and african cases currently, that may be true.
    It's already in Africa.

They say about 15 to 20% will require some
    Hospital care - that could just be supplementary oxygen ( the nasal prongs etc ) and nebulisers etc etc so not ventilators.

Of those 15 to 20% some portion - maybe up to half ( although this varies widely so don’t nitpick it to death ) -will need more invasive treatment such as ventilators.

Overwhelmingly the people who die are older and with existing pathology, often of a chronic and respiratory nature.

This does appear to vary by strain though (L vs S ). In China they are clear there are two strains. WHO hasn’t fully signed on to that yet but I expect they will soon.

I don't think that the 20% would all need oxygen. People in hospital with a viral illness also need to be kept rehydrated with IV fluids to stop organ failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Gods Gift wrote: »
    What’s the grey 1 in the middle. I’m moving there!!!

Is that 302 cases in the west of Germany?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

tillyfilly wrote: »
    I wish I was Chinese

Genuinely.

Even though they caused it they are actually serious about containing it. They don't say 'let people travel from Wuhan to other parts of China and then wait and see what happens'.

The Chinese government doesn't even particularly care about the welfare of its people, but it seems to be doing a better job at protecting them in relation to this than any Western government.

They were presented with an almost impossible job of containment and they seem to be managing. We were presented with a really easy one (for instance DON'T GO TO NORTHERN FKING ITALY) and we completely ballsed it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,637 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

This does appear to vary by strain though (L vs S ). In China they are clear there are two strains. WHO hasn’t fully signed on to that yet but I expect they will soon.

There is zero evidence there is any difference in the strains (the difference between the two is minute) and now you are talking about different levels of care needed for the different strains

You want to be taken seriously??? FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Interesting that the vast majority of cases are in 2 or 3 areas really.

That's what happens if it goes undetected for a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Louche Lad wrote: »

That post is untrue.

The narrative is that is does not spread in warm weather and the summer is going to save us all.

This is 2020 the truth most support the narrative.

Keep inconvenient facts in the shadows.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Thoughts about them in what sense?

About how realistic the figure is.

Could 20pc of people who test positive need treatment in hospital?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

skimpydoo wrote: »
    It's already in Africa.

Yes, but we have heard of very, very few cases. I'm hoping this is due to it not spreading, and not simply due to lack of reporting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

gmisk wrote: »
    The public sector is open to all the great utopia that it is....lol
    I make significantly less in public sector than I would in private sector but hey I made my choice.

No, we all can't join the public service. That's not how things work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,894 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

owlbethere wrote: »
    Is that 302 cases in the west of Germany?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

This is like a bad dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Imagine if Covid-19 was a plague type virus with a 80% death rate, scary thought if it ever happens....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Big business is the soul of the west , workers are insects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Apologies if this was posted already.

It's an open letter from Dr Paul O Brien to to Dr.Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer at Irish Department of Health and Paul Reid, Director General of Irish Health Executive Service (HSE) questioning how the outbreak has been handled relative to best practice.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/open-letter-dr-tony-holohan-cmo-department-health-paul-o-brien/?published=t

The author is not a medical doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Did the Chinese Ambassador really say that the local councils should go over the government's head and enact their containment measures as they arise?!

Let's keep watching the rebels. The only named county (except Limerick whose hospital has admitted it's basically shutting up shop too for no apparent reason).

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

I don't think that the 20% would all need oxygen. People in hospital with a viral illness also need to be kept rehydrated with IV fluids to stop organ failure.

Agreed. I didn’t say they would all need oxygen. I just gave two examples of non-ventilator treatment that hospitalisation could be needed for to help someone understand that being hospitalised didn’t necessarily mean being ventilated.

I’m becoming wary of going into detail for fear of being nit-picked to death by people who aren’t interested in the broader reality so am trying to limit the detail and keep the level of information basic to make that a little less likely.

Nuanced points really aren’t welcome here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭screamer

Maximus Decimus Covidius commander of the armies of the north......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

fr336 wrote: »
    This is like a bad dream.
    aka the Rapture, a Tribulation if you will.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement