Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

fritzelly wrote: »
    There is zero evidence there is any difference in the strains (the difference between the two is minute) and now you are talking about different levels of care needed for the different strains

You want to be taken seriously??? FFS
    He's correct, in that the L strain is more easily transmitted, so it would be harder to contain in clinical settings (as we're seeing here).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Blueshoe wrote: »
    With all of the virus excitement going on I'm just wondering have we forgotten that we don't have a government ? Or does that matter anymore. Seems to have disappeared

The Irish public decided they wanted a hung parliament again, so that's what we're going to have for the next while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Tordelback wrote: »
    Which if your figure is correct is twice the mortality of flu, which almost exclusively kills the elderly and otherwise vulnerable. So the consolation in your post is that if infected you are young and fit you are only twice as likely to die of Covid-19 as an octogenarian diabetic is to die of seasonal flu. I'll pass, thanks.
    Pass on what?
    There are tonnes of stats out there.
    It's pretty much all guesstimates
    That figure is from below
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Yes

Not 1 death in Germany is there ?

I was reading a study today in which they isolated it from a “cured” patients cerebrospinal fluid so that speaks to both the risk of encephalitis ( which he had ) and it finding reservoirs within “cured individuals” who could then either relapse or potentially spread it again.

Too early to tell but finding it in the CSF is both interesting and a bit frightening.

It doesn't act as a reservoir in CSF. It has just spread there. There's nothing to suggest that there is a latent reservoir in patients with CSF. The medications used would need to be changed so that it has better ability to cross the blood brain barrier. Unless, there is another paper that says so.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-03/05/c_138846529.htm

I'm not trying to nitpick, just trying to keep myself updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

AmberGold wrote: »
    Just throwing this out there as maybe some unfortunate might be in the same position.

One of the lads in work (UK based) went to northern Italy on a skiing holiday mid Feb, came back early last week. He, his wife and daughter all very sick with a flu like illness, very productive cough and high temperature.

Went into self isolation and reported themselves to the NHS, had blood test earlier this week and results yesterday, all negative for COVID.

An odd coincidence, we all had him down as having it.
    May need further testing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,894 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

No cases in the midlands yet, no money to travel to Italy ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Imagine if Covid-19 was a plague type virus with a 80% death rate, scary thought if it ever happens....

Simply wouldn't spread with that rate, so would become isolated and localised, like the aul ebola, (or worse).
    If people drop cold within 12-24hrs, they ain't got time to bus around, and chillax on planes.

Not 1 death in Germany is there ?

No deaths recorded so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

As a doctor who obviously knew about the viral outbreak, he should know that viruses take time to develop and he felt sick and continued on going into work dealing with sick patients.

We're ****ed if the HSE are continuing their bull**** and telling people they're grand unless they show symptoms.

You should give him an email and let him know, quickly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I dread to think what covid-20 will be like. I didn’t see the first 18 and I’m not enjoying watching 19.
    It’s like when I watched fast and furious 7 without watching the first 6. Can’t get into it at all.

Imagine if Covid-19 was a plague type virus with a 80% death rate, scary thought if it ever happens....

Imagine if it wasn't.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

fr336 wrote: »
    This is like a bad dream.

We haven't seen anything like this before, but it does happen every few decades or so.

I know it's concerning, but this is not the plague.

The vast majority of people will be fine.
    Stay informed and things will be OK.

My mum rang me tonight after the news today, she had cancelled a trip to Kerry, because of it.

I had to reassure her.

You'd still have people going on about being 'alarmist' and 'hysterical', still have governments more interested in finances than people, and still have vital school based skiing trips, so we'd be pretty screwed if that came up.

MERS had that type of fatality rate but it was apparently containable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

The Irish public decided they wanted a hung parliament again, so that's what we're going to have for the next while.

The government or lack thereof doesn't matter whatsoever.
    The permanent government run the show (DOH and HSE).
    Simon is still available for soundites and inept management.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    About how realistic the figure is.

Could 20pc of people who test positive need treatment in hospital?

Well you have to bear in mind that the number of people with covid19 is going to be significantly higher than the number who test positive. We have seen that world-wide and experienced that in Ireland.

Most of the people who have published figures agree 15 to 20% of those diagnoses with Covid19 require hospitalisation. This doesn’t mean they will require ventilation ( as I and others have said elsewhere ). They could simply get supplementary oxygen, nebulisers, fluids, monitoring of arrhythmia brought about due to the stress of infection on the body, issues with other organs (control of diabetes etc) and as I mentioned elsewhere encephalitis.

If this spreads in the community as some believe it will then we will soon see ruthless emptying of wards and cancellation of elective surgeries both to free beds but also crucially to free ventilators.

Hilariously it might finally help the HSE to allow and invest significantly in telemedicine and emedicine. This would be great both for increasing social distance but also for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭solidasarock

HSE only wants health care works to isolate themselves when returning from a hotspot.

Everyone else gets the all clear to return to work unless they have symptoms.

What the hell is wrong with the HSE? How is a mandatory self isolation too much to ask for the few hundred people returning from Italy or china?

What kind of late stage capitalist bull**** is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Louche Lad wrote: »
    That post is untrue.

The narrative is that is does not spread in warm weather and the summer is going to save us all.

This is 2020 the truth most support the narrative.

Keep inconvenient facts in the shadows.

girl on the street being interviewed on Prime Time saying it doesn't survive over 27 degrees, so hopefully by the summer it'll be gone,

summer, in ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

The government or lack thereof doesn't matter whatsoever.
    The permanent government run the show (DOH and HSE).
    Simon is still available for soundites and inept management.

In this incidence I would prefer to have medical professionals decide best practice rather than politicians

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

tillyfilly wrote: »
    No cases in the midlands yet, no money to travel to Italy ?

They have more sense and travel somewhere warmer

We haven't seen anything like this before, but it does happen every few decades or so.

My mum rang me tonight after the news today, she had cancelled a trip to Kerry, because of it.

I had to reassure her.

dLfPsSw.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

jarvis wrote: »
    I dread to think what covid-20 will be like. I didn’t see the first 18 and I’m not enjoying watching 19.
    It’s like when I watched fast and furious 7 without watching the first 6. Can’t get into it at all.

Lol!!!

Airborne-Nitrogen-Dioxide-in-China-1200x908.jpg?itok=sytL16OC

giphy.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

You'd still have people going on about being 'alarmist' and 'hysterical', still have governments more interested in finances than people, and still have vital school based skiing trips, so we'd be pretty screwed if that came up.

MERS was 34% in very low numbers. Hardly 80%.

This thread must be 80% bull**** though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭briany

Yes, but we have heard of very, very few cases. I'm hoping this is due to it not spreading, and not simply due to lack of reporting.

The political implications of COVID-19 may really come to the fore if it takes a hold in Africa. There is already a robust debate about what to do about African migrants coming into Europe through the Mediterranean. If you add into that the idea that at least some of these people could be active carriers of this disease, and one that appears to be highly infectious, I would expect that debate to be really be amped up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

I had to reassure her.

Skiing is very hard in Kerry this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

If it's too efficient at attacking it's host like MERS, then it simply can't get around as much, like a computer virus: one that lingers and acts slowly and attacks a network, then another is far better at it's job than a 1-hit bluescreen wonder.

HSE only wants health care works to isolate themselves when returning from a hotspot.

Everyone else gets the all clear to return to work unless they have symptoms.

What the hell is wrong with the HSE? How is a mandatory self isolation too much to ask for the few hundred people returning from italy or china?

What kind of late stage capitalist bull**** is that?

I genuinely couldn't believe it when I initially heard it.

They couldn't even be arsed testing kids coming back from the skiing trips. They said 'let them go back to school'. Utterly, utterly baffling. The only thing I can think is that they must have thought that containment was never going to work, so why bother?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,396 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Who wants to rent a holiday home on Valentina Island and spend the next few months riding
    this thing out until it blows over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement