Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

You'd still have people going on about being 'alarmist' and 'hysterical', still have governments more interested in finances than people, and still have vital school based skiing trips, so we'd be pretty screwed if that came up.

MERS had that type of fatality rate but it was apparently containable.

It's extremely rare that an agent with high death rate and high transmitability could occur.

It's self defeating from an evolutionary point of view.

Things like HIV are unusual, in that without treatment, the cfr approaches 100pc

And the very very long incubation period allows it to spread without killing the host.

Can you imagine the outcome if HIV came about in medieval times?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I see this thread has turned into Twitter oh well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Balagan1

Who wants to rent a holiday home on Valentina Island and spend the next few months riding
    this thing out until it blows over.

I like where you broke up that second sentence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

I have a strong feeling of future regret about this whole scenario

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

girl on the street being interviewed on Prime Time saying it doesn't survive over 27 degrees, so hopefully by the summer it'll be gone,

summer, in ireland

Heading for 29c this weekend in Ireland.

8 on Friday 12 on Saturday and 9 on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Can you imagine the outcome if HIV came about in medieval times?

The monks would have done alright :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,328 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

girl on the street being interviewed on Prime Time saying it doesn't survive over 27 degrees, so hopefully by the summer it'll be gone,

summer, in ireland

It's 30 degrees in Singapore and they've had over 100 cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Swine flu hysteria? It killed half a million people you know. I am not joking.

Given that it infected nearly 20% of the world's population, that's not an incredibly bad fatality rate.

I had not realized that containment of swine flu simply failed. Attitudes like yours need to be curtailed or ignored. All pandemics start with a single individual. The longer it takes for people to take it seriously the more difficult it is to do anything about it.

It looks likely that it is too late in relation to covid-19. Hopefully it doesn't do well in warm weather. Given the lack of southern hemisphere and african cases currently, that may be true.

Yes, swine flu hysteria. Tell me - what do you know about the health status pre-infection of the half a million people who died from it? People get truly bamboozled by numbers and analyse little else.

I know a lot of cancer patients and am one. Most of us are immunocompromised and we’re all currently suffering from a severe case of eye rolling because we simply can’t get it up for an virus whose symptoms seem much more manageable than anything we’ve been through in the last few years AND we also recognise that we can’t stop living our lives because of this virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

tillyfilly wrote: »
    I have a strong feeling of future regret about this whole scenario

Are you one of those random phrase generators?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

It doesn't act as a reservoir in CSF. It has just spread there. There's nothing to suggest that there is a latent reservoir in patients with CSF. The medications used would need to be changed so that it has better ability to cross the blood brain barrier. Unless, there is another paper that says so.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-03/05/c_138846529.htm

I'm not trying to nitpick, just trying to keep myself updated.

Hi, Dazzler. Since I’m writing more defensively now I’ll just point out that if you read what I said I didn’t say it had found a reservoir in the CSF. I said that finding it in CSF spoke to it being able to find reservoirs - and yes one of my thoughts here is that a lot of medicines don’t cross the blood brain barrier and the CSF is a good place for reservoirs.

I am unaware of any proven reservoirs yet but one does have to wonder if the “reinfections” we’ve heard of may not be more simply explained by reservoirs - imo this would be good news on a population level.

So, not saying that It is proven to use the CSF as a reservoir but knowing it can cross the blood brain barrier when some of the medicines being trialled to treat it may not does make one wonder about the potential for reservoirs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,446 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm going to be paranoid now of anyone coughing or sneezing around me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,328 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Who wants to rent a holiday home on Valentina Island and spend the next few months riding

What's the eircode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I genuinely couldn't believe it when I initially heard it.

They couldn't even be arsed testing kids coming back from the skiing trips. They said 'let them go back to school'. Utterly, utterly baffling. The only thing I can think is that they must have thought that containment was never going to work, so why bother?

What was the testing capacity. I don't know, how many people could be tested per day. Maybe someone knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Lol!!!

I have a question for you if you don't mind.

Some people wrote here or in the previous thread that they got a bad dose of a heavy cold or flu already. Earlier on this year. Would it have been possible it would have been this Covid-19 doing the rounds already in Ireland? Back in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,637 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

LMAO - keeps coming up with the same phrase just like them as well

I know a lot of cancer patients and am one. Most of us are immunocompromised and we’re all currently suffering from a severe case of eye rolling because we simply can’t get it up for an virus whose symptoms seem much more manageable than anything we’ve been through in the last few years AND we also recognise that we can’t stop living our lives because of this virus.

You are literally in the at risk group. You should be very, very concerned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,894 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

girl on the street being interviewed on Prime Time

Anyone else disappointed RTE presenters don't follow their Romanian counterparts?

ayoZyLr_460s.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

I am not , I am expressing myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It's 30 degrees in Singapore and they've had over 100 cases.

Droopy+1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Have you any pictures of “this thing”? Been stung too many times on blind dates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

namloc1980 wrote: »
    What's the eircode?
    COVID19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Has anyone else tried to follow the hygiene advice and found it weirdly difficult? I already have two toddlers and an irrational fear of vomiting so my hands look like an 80 year olds with the washing I do already. Thought the hygiene advice would be a breeze to follow because I’m expert already... but the last few days has been me every 10 minutes going “wtf if wrong with me, I can’t stop touching my own face!”.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭solidasarock

joe40 wrote: »
    What was the testing capacity. I don't know, how many people could be tested per day. Maybe someone knows.

Its nothing to do with capacity. Simply telling everyone who return from Italy / wherever to stay at home for 2 weeks doesn't take up any HSE resources.

If anything it could have saved resources in the long run and reduce the spread.

But **** that. Tell betty to get back to work at the till in Dunnes until she cant breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

I genuinely couldn't believe it when I initially heard it.

They couldn't even be arsed testing kids coming back from the skiing trips. They said 'let them go back to school'. Utterly, utterly baffling. The only thing I can think is that they must have thought that containment was never going to work, so why bother?

Agree. So what if it takes a few octogenarians and ill people with it. I think it's the economy and ibec types that are dictating policy on this issue. Add in to the mix a barrel load of department of health incompetence and we are where we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I'm ready for tomorrow's commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Thingymebob

summer, in ireland

Oh dear. She knows that it’s summer in Australia, that place where they’ve got 64 infections. Or Malaysia- 50 infections, daily temperature 34 degrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I make sure to wash my hands after I come home from town or wherever I've been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Klonker wrote: »
    I'm ready for tomorrow's commute.

Dcikhead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    It's a nasty bug. Found in the brain too :-( butcher linked to it yesterday.
    fritzelly wrote: »
    There is zero evidence there is any difference in the strains (the difference between the two is minute) and now you are talking about different levels of care needed for the different strains

You want to be taken seriously??? FFS
    Apparently there are? L and S strains? One more lethal than the other?

• Advertisement

joe40 wrote: »

Let's suppose it is a maximum of 200 a day.

I can't imagine that you would have had many more than that returning from Italy in a given day.

I am just guessing at numbers, but reason would suggest that they would have been manageable. One health care working in Cork University Hospital is apparently infected with it. Tracking down everyone they may have come into contact with seems a lot less manageable than a bunch of people coming off a plane.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement