Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

You are literally in the at risk group. You should be very, very concerned

Well, I’m not. And I’m sorry, do you know more than my oncologist? Person who has spent over a decade training or some internet randomer - who to listen to? The state of people on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

Developed a bit of a cough this evening,

Not the best time to get this 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Yes, swine flu hysteria. Tell me - what do you know about the health status pre-infection of the half a million people who died from it? People get truly bamboozled by numbers and analyse little else.

I know a lot of cancer patients and am one. Most of us are immunocompromised and we’re all currently suffering from a severe case of eye rolling because we simply can’t get it up for an virus whose symptoms seem much more manageable than anything we’ve been through in the last few years AND we also recognise that we can’t stop living our lives because of this virus.
    I am in the same boat as you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,637 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Apparently there are? L and S strains? One more lethal than the other?

There is no evidence - preliminary non peer reviewed paper by some Chinese scientists

Along the same lines as the Chinese scientists saying it didn't even start in China due to their findings because they "didn't find" all the other variations in their sample cases but they all exist in the USA cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Agree. So what if it takes a few octogenarians and ill people with it. I think it's the economy and ibec types that are dictating policy on this issue. Add in to the mix a barrel load of department of health incompetence and we are where we are.

If Trump's attitude is anything to go by that is exactly the case.

Stop saying things that affect the Dow Jones. Get on with life. It will impact the economy but taking out old people and people with chronic conditions will be a silver lining.

• Advertisement

skimpydoo wrote: »
    I am in the same boat as you.

Interested to hear your perspective. Are you worried or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It's 30 degrees in Singapore and they've had over 100 cases.

A heavily populated city state with strong business links to China.
    It would seem the weather is helping them greatly. Those numbers are low given the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

owlbethere wrote: »
    I have a question for you if you don't mind.

Some people wrote here or in the previous thread that they got a bad dose of a heavy cold or flu already. Earlier on this year. Would it have been possible it would have been this Covid-19 doing the rounds already in Ireland? Back in January.

Ok. Defensive Medicine Hat on.

I cannot prove this one way or the other as obviously only repeated testing ( due to the fact that testing kits have a false negative rate ) could prove this one way or the other.

However I think what you are suggesting is highly unlikely and if it had happened we’d have a lot more very ill people now.

You can be absolutely certain that testing of people still
    In morgues etc who werent thought to have died from COVID19 has been going on quietly behind the scenes and if positive results were being generated we would know about them. Since we’ve heard nothing I think that probably rules out the December/January theory.

In future if the HSE will fund RNA analysis we will be able to do an analysis which can reasonably accurately trace even community acquired infections back and see roughly when they entered Ireland. This could prove it one way or the other.

Disclaimer. Just an opinion based on science and experience. You are welcome to hold a different view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

I genuinely couldn't believe it when I initially heard it.

They couldn't even be arsed testing kids coming back from the skiing trips. They said 'let them go back to school'. Utterly, utterly baffling. The only thing I can think is that they must have thought that containment was never going to work, so why bother?

To be honest I think it makes sense because health workers are far more likely to be working with the most vulnerable people to the coronavirus whereas Joe Soap is just touching and licking other Joe Soaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Absolutely no need for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Absolutely no need for that!

be grand shur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,894 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The leaderboard of shame

China 80,430
    S. Korea 6,088
    Italy 3,858
    Iran 3,513
    Diamond Princess 696
    Germany 545
    France 423
    Japan 361
    Spain 282
    USA 209
    Switzerland 118
    Singapore 117
    UK 116
    Hong Kong 105
    Sweden 94
    Norway 91
    Netherlands 82
    Kuwait 58
    Bahrain 55
    Malaysia 55
    Australia 53
    Belgium 50
    Thailand 47
    Taiwan 44
    Austria 43
    Canada 37
    Iraq 35
    Iceland 35
    Greece 31
    India 30
    UAE 28
    San Marino 21
    Denmark 20
    Algeria 17
    Israel 17
    Lebanon 16
    Oman 16
    Vietnam 16
    Ecuador 13
    Ireland 13
    Czechia 12
    Finland 12
    Macao 10
    Croatia 10
    Georgia 9
    Portugal 9
    Brazil 8
    Qatar 8
    Palestine 7
    Azerbaijan 6
    Belarus 6
    Mexico 6
    Romania 6
    Slovenia 6
    Estonia 5
    Pakistan 5
    Saudi Arabia 5
    New Zealand 4
    Russia 4

A real tussle between France and Germany. The country of bread and wine versus the country of iron and steel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

tuxy wrote: »
    It would seem the weather is helping them greatly. Those numbers are low given the circumstances.

It seems so, regarding the temperature.
    Would be a terrible thing if this virus moved through regions like India or Africa.

Let's hope for now it doesn't.

What did your oncologist say...just a flu

Practice good hand hygiene, avoid snotty, snuffly people but otherwise live your life. Solid advice, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

branie2 wrote: »
    I make sure to wash my hands after I come home from town or wherever I've been.

Do people not do this regardless of coronavirus???!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Brexit/COVID 19
    Brits - “oh we want to be able to control our borders to prevent entry to bad things “
    Europe - “little England “
    Brits -“ sh1te what you mean you can’t close our borders to a virus”
    Europe - “imbeciles”
    China - “amateurs”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Well, I’m not. And I’m sorry, do you know more than my oncologist? Person who has spent over a decade training or some internet randomer - who to listen to? The state of people on this thread.
    If your immune system is low then yes you are at risk .. and maybe you should get advice form a different oncologist if your current one is telling you any different.
    I have a child who’s immune system is compromised and we have been told to keep a very close in him and to limit public gatherings if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Practice good hand hygiene, avoid snotty, snuffly people but otherwise live your life. Solid advice, IMO.

Seems like good advice for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

If Trump's attitude is anything to go by that is exactly the case.

Stop saying things that affect the Dow Jones. Get on with life. It will impact the economy but taking out old people and people with chronic conditions will be a silver lining.

Trump does not seem to realize that he is in the right age group to be a prime target for Covid-19 !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Jin luk wrote: »
    Developed a bit of a cough this evening,

Not the best time to get this ��

It's a bit like headlice. Talk about headlice and your head gets itchy. Talk about Corona and you cough and sneeze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,377 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is it time to withdraw all your money out of the banks so it doesn't get contaminated with other money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Yeah. How dare they not feel how they're told. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

fritzelly wrote: »
    There is no evidence - preliminary non peer reviewed paper by some Chinese scientists

Along the same lines as the Chinese scientists saying it didn't even start in China due to their findings because they "didn't find" all the other variations in their sample cases but they all exist in the USA cases

To be fair at this early stage a lot of data is preliminary. The data on pregnant women comes from a paper with a cohort of 18 women, 19 babies.

I think that it isn’t possible to say their conclusions are wrong especially when we know RNA viruses mutate so readily and the more people they infect and the longer they’re out there the more likely strains are to develop.

COVID19 developing a new strain isn’t something unlikely. It should be expected so when a paper says it has it isn’t exactly saying something surprising has happened.

Of course you’re entitled to tour opinion but every incontrovertible medical truth once started out as a paper awaiting peer review. And of course they could be wrong but are you really saying that over the course of one to two years you don’t expect multiple strains to develop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,894 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Trump does not seem to realize that he is in the right age group to be a prime target for Covid-19 !

We live in hope.
    Sorry / not sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

tuxy wrote: »
    True be interesting to know how many they have tested though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Who wants to rent a holiday home on Valentina Island and spend the next few months riding
    this thing out until it blows over.

I also have a caravan with a fixed bed, ideal for self isolation.

"SOUTHERN REGION"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If I haven't miscalculated - always a possibility - Ireland has 16 times the infection rate of the UK, per head of population.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement