Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Trinity must be 1 of the 4 cases in the east anyway.

Email doing the rounds but it also says college is open and operating as normal

Possibly not one of the four.

Trinity say they found out late tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Trinity college is the next one...will/won't be announced at 8.30 tomorrow evening but the email is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭sunshinew

Trinity must be 1 of the 4 cases in the east anyway.

Email doing the rounds but it also says college is open and operating as normal

I work there and got no email. Where's the link to this? I know an academic got tested and got the all clear.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

froog wrote: »
    he got in big trouble earlier for seeming to suggest people a little bit sick should still go to work. came out with a frantic backtracking tweet later after his handlers had a word with him.

America has handled this very badly. What with the testing fiasco, and lack of employee cover, looking very bad on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

360,000 population, 36 cases?
    0.001% of population infected I think, although my maths has been known to be absolutely crap.

0.01%

• Advertisement

At this stage, the numbers are meaningless.

Well, that's useful. Some people were mad for statistics when the CFR was around 9%.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

cnocbui wrote: »
    If I haven't miscalculated - always a possibility - Ireland has 16 times the infection rate of the UK, per head of population.

Hi cnocbui,

I don’t want to criticise you personally but I believe the way you are phrasing this is giving an inaccurate impression.

Ireland may have more cases per capita than the UK but that really doesn’t allow us to draw that conclusion about infection rate ( or incidence if you will). You can the prevalence is higher but I don’t think you can draw too many conclusions about incidence.

In addition to this with such small numbers one cluster makes such a difference that it can really skew things. What matters is that both the UK and Ireland have proven community spread and that changes the situation we find ourselves in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

504740.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Astounding that the situation in Italy was ignited by just one infected person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

What is latest on Cock University Hospital, is that ground zero tonight. The mistake we all worried about, and it was a Doctor who caused it.
    We don't know that a Doctor caused it.

• Advertisement

The poster you're referring to claimed earlier that the 2009 swine flu outbreak wasnt a pandemic. They're on a wind up.

I dunno. They write like a doctor would write. I think the pandemic thing could have been a slip of the tongue. He said he worked in medicine so could forgive him that as infectious diseases is a different area.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

The HSE are a disgrace. I know a doctor in CUH, who's colleague was literally coughed on by the person in Cork who has been confirmed, and at the time she didn't have PPE. She's not been tested or told to self isolate. With that kind of approach amongst medical staff we're fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

All I wanna say is

F*ck you Italy, f*ck you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Possibly not one of the four.

Trinity say they found out late tonight.

Well yes but the DoH did say contact tracing had only just begun and that was at half 8

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

The poster you're referring to claimed earlier that the 2009 swine flu outbreak wasnt a pandemic. They're on a wind up.

Careful Jim the poster you are referring to is a doctor.
    He has to be, he said on an Internet forum he was, and luckily opened his account here during February.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    America has handled this very badly. What with the testing fiasco, and lack of employee cover, looking very bad on them.

i said it in the previous thread, i reckon the US is more infected than any country other than china. they must have thousands by now and still faffing about trying to get test kits.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

Pseudonym 121. I get ya with concern about its ability to cause encephalitis. Your post just came across a bit ambiguous about the "cured patient" aspect. I understand that you had doubts about this statement but there was nothing in the study to suggest the patient had been cured of COVID-19 so was unsure why you mentioned that aspect.

Ah ok, my bad. I was thinking of reservoirs and how someone could have a negative test on several occasions and then be positive days later.

I’ll try to be more careful how I phrase things going forward, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,393 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Question Time on BBC 1 NOW

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭sunshinew

sunshinew wrote: »
    I work there and got no email. Where's the link to this? I know an academic got tested and got the all clear.

Scrap the above, just got a WhatsApp from a colleague. Looks like it's true re: Trinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

'If you are traveling to Idlib in Syria you should be concerned'
    'YOURE NOT THE BOSS OF ME!'

Their angle is that the half million people who died from swine flu were a waste of space, and that covid-19 is a bit of a joke. While I can appreciate a somewhat morbid disposition on their part, the lackadaisical attitude is not just isolated to themselves in the event of an infectious disease.

Yeah, that’s not what I said or implied. I asked what you knew about the half a million people who died from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Boyfriend went to the GP today. Most probably doesn't have coronavirus, and is just unwell. He is prone to sore throats.

GP said even if he thought he had it, e.g. came back from Northern Italy, he would not be tested because he is young and they don't have resources to test the young. Young people just go home and wait it out.

There's hundreds of people already infected. Tests are not a reflection of actual numbers.

Yes best for him to self isolate. Ideally an ensuite room. Leave food outside the door. Paper plates and plastic cutlery so he can dump them.

Hope he rang beforehand if he thought he had coronavirus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,328 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Copies of email on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Image below

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The leaderboard of shame

China 80,430
    S. Korea 6,088
    Italy 3,858
    Iran 3,513
    Diamond Princess 696
    Germany 545
    France 423
    Japan 361
    Spain 282
    USA 209
    Switzerland 118
    Singapore 117
    UK 116
    Hong Kong 105
    Sweden 94
    Norway 91
    Netherlands 82
    Kuwait 58
    Bahrain 55
    Malaysia 55
    Australia 53
    Belgium 50
    Thailand 47
    Taiwan 44
    Austria 43
    Canada 37
    Iraq 35
    Iceland 35
    Greece 31
    India 30
    UAE 28
    San Marino 21
    Denmark 20
    Algeria 17
    Israel 17
    Lebanon 16
    Oman 16
    Vietnam 16
    Ecuador 13
    Ireland 13
    Czechia 12
    Finland 12
    Macao 10
    Croatia 10
    Georgia 9
    Portugal 9
    Brazil 8
    Qatar 8
    Palestine 7
    Azerbaijan 6
    Belarus 6
    Mexico 6
    Romania 6
    Slovenia 6
    Estonia 5
    Pakistan 5
    Saudi Arabia 5
    New Zealand 4
    Russia 4

A real tussle between France and Germany. The country of bread and wine versus the country of iron and steel.

The good news is that Ireland are sneaking up into the automatic qualification spot for the next virus outbreak. Typically though, we're relying on imports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Gael23 wrote: »
    Astounding that the situation in Italy was ignited by just one infected person

I'm surprised they have managed to trace it back to one person in Italy.

What country had they traveled from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Come on my fellow COVID thread people..
    Giz a hug

S02E11-MQbfKTKM-subtitled.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Interestingly, I was just talking to my partner about this. At the start of February, she came down with an illness that bears many similarities to covid19: very high temperature; fever; muscle aches; difficulty breathing; etc. She has had the flu before but said this felt different.

Also, her job is unique in that she serves and is in close physical contact with a lot of customers who travel from all parts of China, specifically to come to this store. Possibly could have been passed on to her by one of them? Who knows.

Of course, this is all theoretical and it could have been the flu - we can't be sure. But interesting to think about. Either way, two weeks of solid rest and she recovered.

I was talking to another guy tonight and he said the same, me and him had some fcuked up type of flu, it lasted about 3 months for me and 3 rounds of antibiotics that did nothing, I went through various different stages from phlegm, muscle, aches, back pain, feeling weak and headaches. I only managed to shake it about 2 weeks ago... I've never had anything even close to it

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

Yeah there's at least 40 to my knowledge of cases that are about to be announced but hse has to go through the rigmarole of sussing out the fiber details before they are as kind as to let us know. Then there's the hundreds that have it and have not been tested. This thing is already far beyond containment. It's here, and it's going nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,393 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Andrew00 wrote: »
    All I wanna say is

F*ck you Italy, f*ck you.

• Advertisement

The poster in question hand waves the half million dead figure from the swine flu.

I think the attitude of trying to stop pandemics as 'hysterical' is dangerously complacent. I do't see any mistake in relation to that.

Give it a f*cking rest. ODB already has to take all precautions necessary to protect herself from any number of risks due to her situation. So regardless of how she feels about the level of danger Covid-19 poses, she's not someone who's going to cause spread through complacency. She's also a very much liked and respected poster around here and I suspect people may start to close ranks. So if you want to keep posting here I think you should probably back off. I know I for one have reported you already.

You can't tell people how to feel. So just speak for yourself yeah?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement