Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    It's not.

This is our first experience of a pandemic.
    It will be tough, but it's not the one we have been fearing.

But it will test our society.

What have you been fearing, exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Are there any figure or facts in relation to the virus and smokers, for example would smoking kill the virus? We always here people who smoke are less susceptible to colds/flus. I know when I smoked I never ever got colds or flus but since I’ve given them up 13 years ago I get one or two colds every year and had flu earlier this year that knocked me out for near 3 weeks.

I’m not going to start smoking again, even if it were proven to prevent C19 but just wondered?

Smoking causes lung disease and a higher incidence of chest infections and bronchitis. Those with lung disease are in a higher risk group.

Smoking does not kill this or any other virus,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Are you not afraid of sitting down at a restaurant table and picking up the virus on the table?

I was hoping you were going to say

Are you not afraid of sitting down at a restaurant table and picking the virus on the menu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

namloc1980 wrote: »
    What's the eircode?

You should know that level of information is kept private all that can be said its in the south ish sorta (not dublin) part of the country (hse logic)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Wouldn't you love to be retired, or be able to WFH these days. Sigh.

• Advertisement

Main medications that have shown evidence of efficacy against COVID-19 are chloroquine, oseltamivir and remdesivir.

Realistically, the only one to to have shown robust effectiveness against COVID-19 is remdesivir. The issue with it at the moment is that it's only available on a compassionate use basis. So you need to be confirmed with COVID-19 before the company will release the medication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Pretty well, I think. I’m taking precautions. I already wash my hands religiously so no problems there. I’m going to avoid very crowded places but I’m not going to cloister myself either. I’m training myself to sneeze into my arm and not touch my face. I’m disinfecting my phone and door handles periodically. That’s all I can do really. To be honest, I already had some of these habits from being very immunocompromised a year ago. If I get it, I get it.

Good to see that you are prepared. My treatment has focked up my respiratory system and I have heard that Covid 19 can scar my lungs which is a worry.

My sense of humour is still intact and tomorrow afternoon I am cohosting a radio show broadcast from America. The show's theme is Covid 19 and all the songs will relate to the panic I see on Social Media, certain posts on here and certain tabloid newspapers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    It's not.

This is our first experience of a pandemic.
    It will be tough, but it's not the one we have been fearing.

But it will test our society.

Unless you're 11 or younger, no, it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,328 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I was talking to another guy tonight and he said the same, me and him had some fcuked up type of flu, it lasted about 3 months for me and 3 rounds of antibiotics that did nothing, I went through various different stages from phlegm, muscle, aches, back pain, feeling weak and headaches. I only managed to shake it about 2 weeks ago... I've never had anything even close to it

Who gave you antibiotics for a flu??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Get a grip man.

A good tight grip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,363 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Do we have any nuclear bunkers in this country to preserve the good and the great in until this thing boils over?

My granny turns 101 in 23 days. We have a little 'party' organised. (Like 10 people!!) Suspect it won't be happening now. Shame not to mark such a big day. Don't care about the get together aspect, but I imagine the nursing home will have to close their doors before then (as they do for the flu) and we won't even see her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

I was hoping you were going to say

Are you not afraid of sitting down at a restaurant table and picking the virus on the menu
    Ooo oooo.. Is virus on the menu? Does it come with chips?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

AmberGold wrote: »
    Smoking causes lung disease and a higher incidence of chest infections and bronchitis. Those with lung disease are in a higher risk group.

Smoking does not kill this or any other virus,

If even Amber Gold are saying this, you should listen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Yep she had all those symptoms too, and antibiotics did nothing. Interesting.

I don't know how many times I contemplated going to the hospital, I just wasn't firing on all cylinders at all, but it took ages to feel someway right

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Why am I not surprised. Two words come to mind. Rabbit headlights.

Why do people think there are cases not being announced yet ? I don’t see why they would do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

2nd part of trinity email
    bSLu7zrl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Gintonious wrote: »
    No, give over with this OTT drama crap. This isn't a movie you saw on Netflix, it is real life.

If you were to get sick, depending on your general health already you would either be at risk or not. You are making this out to be a lethal virus of unknown capabilities and all it does is show you know nothing about it, and love a bit of panic.

Stand by what you said all you want, just know it's a stupid thing to say.

I said quarantine centre should be established. That is a common sense approach. Not stupid. The system is being put at risk otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

I dunno. They write like a doctor would write. I think the pandemic thing could have been a slip of the tongue. He said he worked in medicine so could forgive him that as infectious diseases is a different area.

I’ll explain. What happened was that I was thinking of the 10 to 20% (roughly, I’m sure you can quibble an exact percentage and prove my rough figure is wrong) infection rate of swine flu vs the WHO estimate that 40 to 70% of the worlds population ( an ESTIMATE derived from a model using various assumptions not all of which may or will be proven correct but which I do not believe was created in good faith).

When the lower and upper bounds 10 vs 40 and 20 vs 70 are compared I really don’t think that these two viral outbreaks are going to have comparable effects ( if the WHO estimate and assumptions are correct). It was in that context that I said that wasn’t a pandemic and what I should have said is it isn’t a comparable pandemic. My bad.

I was working through swine flu and I was never as concerned about it as I am about Covid19. You are welcome to hold different opinions and I respect that.

With that said I really do expect this to be significantly worse than swine flu. I respect your right to differ but the personal commentary about me is, I feel, unnecessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,129 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yep she had all those symptoms too, and antibiotics did nothing. Interesting.

You cannot use antibiotics to treat colds or flu (or corona) : they are viruses and antibiotics are anti-bacterial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Gods Gift wrote: »
    An bhfuil seachtain na gaeilge still goin ahead.

cupla focail

TBG7Ad8.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Who gave you antibiotics for a flu??

It originally started out as a sinus infection but I don't know what the hell it turned into, my Doc reckoned it was some sort of virus, so I just rode it out after that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Why do people think there are cases not being announced yet ? I don’t see why they would do that

Any confirmed cases are being announced. Of course they are. Just doesn’t fit in with some of the tin foil hat agendas on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Explains the information behind the two types of strains. If I am understanding this correctly, part of the reason the CFR has been revised up is because one of the two strains is more dangerous. Since it appears we can get both strains (as some people have) , it means the CFR will be determined by which strain you might get. One would of course hope that the CFR will eventually be much lower , reflecting the fact that most people in most countries haven’t and possibly will never be tested.

New Home wrote: »
    Except that it is.

So you are saying that this COVID-19 is comparable to the black plague which killed 30-60% of Europe's population at the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

spookwoman wrote: »
    2nd part of trinity email
    bSLu7zrl.jpg

Oh thank god, the HSE are going to look after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable website which displays live numbers for prevalence, recovery, death, etc.?

I recall one was posted in thread #2, but I didn’t make note of it at the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tommybojangles

I'm a small bit concerned about some older relatives in this situation and ironically the most relaxing thing I've doing the past few days is coming to this thread and seeing just how mad some people are going. Toot on, boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable website which displays live numbers for prevalence, recovery, death, etc.?

I recall one was posted in thread #2, but I didn’t make note of it at the time...

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

No welfare and ludicrously high medical bills mean people will go to work and avoid going to a doctor/hospital at all costs.[/QUOTE

A Superpower that is equally as backwards as it is great. America is weird.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement